none
Cannot open backup device 'F:\foldername'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

Question

• SQL 2005 Enterprise

Even if I logon as Administrator and try to backup any of my databases to local partitions, I get this error below. I have been operating fine up until this point and doing backups all the time.  As far as I know, and after checking, no permissions have changed and of course Administrator has ntfs permissions to my local C and other partitions on this server:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

Backup failed for Server 'servername'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.1399.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Backup+Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: Cannot open backup device 'F:\foldername'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.). (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.1399.00&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

In the Event log for Windows Server 2003 I see this:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DCOM
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10016
    Date:  3/6/2006
    Time:  3:35:06 PM
    User:  NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    Computer: servername
    Description:
    The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}
     to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20).  This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Monday, March 06, 2006 9:56 PM

Answers

• It doesn't matter who *you* are logged in as, it is the service account for SQL Server service that 
    matters

-- 
    Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
    http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
    http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
    Blog: http://solidqualitylearning.com/blogs/tibor/ 

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 7:49 AM

All replies

• You need to check the security permissions on the folder you are trying to backup to. Make sure the service account (Network Service) has write permissions. It may well not do.

SQL on changing the service account changes the permissions on the critical drives it knows about but won't to it for all the drives in a server.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Tolchin Monday, April 16, 2012 3:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Justin Tolchin Monday, April 16, 2012 3:55 PM
    • Proposed as answer by malbert69 Friday, February 08, 2013 3:44 PM
    Monday, March 06, 2006 11:33 PM
  • well I added Network Service with the right permissions.  Still same error.  Like I said before this was never a problem.  I am the only one who touches the server and I haven't changed permissions except to change what permissions Network Service had in logons but I changed that back wto what it was previous and what my other server has in SQL logins.
    Tuesday, March 07, 2006 3:08 AM
  • It doesn't matter who *you* are logged in as, it is the service account for SQL Server service that 
    matters

-- 
    Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
    http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
    http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
    Blog: http://solidqualitylearning.com/blogs/tibor/ 

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 7:49 AM
  • Thanks a lot NNTP, that was it. I added my domain account that I had created to run all SQL Services to the security of the partitions on my server and I have access now.  I'm not sure though what changed, I was able to do this before unless someone took this login out of the security..I guess it's possible but as far as I know nobody it touching my server
    • Proposed as answer by kthxkk Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:44 PM
    Tuesday, March 07, 2006 3:54 PM
  • Tnks God I found this post... It really save me!!!

rgds

Friday, April 28, 2006 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem. I have changed the SQLAGENT  service to run as domain\administrator but are you suggesting the sql server instance service also?

Thanks

Paul

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 1:55 PM
  • On a Windows 2000 Server with SQL Express 2005 freshly installed, giving the "SYSTEM" user full control on the target folder seems to do the trick without the need to change the service user.
    • Proposed as answer by Sharon Talbot Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sharon Talbot Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:15 PM
    Thursday, September 07, 2006 1:01 PM
  • SQL Service account is DOMAIN\SQLAdmin

Have given the SQLAdmin AD account access to the Backup shares on the file servers (2 file servers, FILE1, FILE2)

and I still get the error

Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

RESTORE FILELISTONLY

FROM DISK = N'\\SERVER\APPS\backups\UA\DB\DB.BAK'

I trid to attach it as device, which runs

sp_addumpdevice 'disk', 'Network_Share', '\\SERVER\backup\APPS\UA\DB\DB.BAK'

BUT when restoring, same error occurred (Access denied)

Only case I can backup/restore to/from network shares, is from the machines where SQL Server runs (SQL1, SQL2)

e.g. I copy the BAK file from FILE1 to SQL2, share the folder (add SQLAdmin account with access), then restore on SQL1 with file from SQL2 Share

RESTORE FILELISTONLY

FROM DISK = N'\\SQL2\backups\UA\DB\DB.BAK'

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 7:16 PM
  •  

When you try to backup, SQL Server 2005 shows the default backup path i.e. c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\ . This directory default has SQL user rights. Go to Backup directory and check the user name. Its very big name and I have not checked how SQL server adds it in allowed users list. You can do 2 things:

1. Let the Server take backup on default directory and copy the file in your desired folder. I did that.

2. Give same kind of permissions to your desired folder as Backup directory has.

Hope it solves the issue.

Moonguy

• Proposed as answer by MikeJanuary Monday, November 01, 2010 12:55 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2007 10:35 AM
  • This problem occurs when you are attempting to backup to a UNC patch and the SQL server does not have "modify" rights to the backup path. With the backup path sharepoint, and on the backup directory itself, grant the SQL server "modify" rights - when doing this be sure that "computers" is selected under "object types"

Hopes this helps

Monday, June 04, 2007 7:53 PM
  • You are a life saver...  This was driving me nuts.  I must add this to my blog.....

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:10 PM
  • Thanks alot MoonGuy,

also i found that the installation path & Backup Directory of SqlServer Express can be found at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQLServer in BackupDirectory key.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 6:45 AM
  • I ran into a similar scenario where I wanted to backup my Testing databases on to the E:\ of my Dev database server for storage.

I just added the service account (LOCAL\sql05svc)  for Sql Server into the local admin group on the Dev machine where I am writing the backups to and it worked out fine too. The account did have the same password on both machines though.

I am guessing you could do the same with a Domain account that you use to run Sql Server service with.

Monday, November 05, 2007 9:00 PM
  • Hey wat is the solution?? Can u plz share with me, I dint get wat exactlly u guys are talking about...  I am getting the same problem, I have a user_account and i dont know what permisions it has, I took a backup from the system connected in LAN, and when i tried to restore the database after taking backup, I got this error.  Its troubling a lot yaar, plz get me a solution and take me out of this.....

Friday, December 07, 2007 9:53 AM
  • great help..i had the same problem and i have resolve it doing the follow

my operating system is winXP pro.

and MSDE 2005

Control panel->administrative tools->services-> SQL Server

at the properties i choose 'log on as: local system account and also choosed to allo service to interact with desktop'

thanks for the help i have spent more than four hours googling for it

Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:30 PM
  • "Control panel->administrative tools->services-> SQL Server

at the properties i choose 'log on as: local system account and also choosed to allo service to interact with desktop'"

If I believed in a God I'd ask him/her/it to bless you. I love it when people explain things Wink

Dominic

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:11 PM
  • This happened to me when I attempted to create a new database from a .bak file using RESTORE.  I just right-clicked on the .bak file, selected Properties and then clicked the Security tab.  Then, I did a Check Name for "SQL" and added the following two SQL accounts from the list:

1)  SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$<machine name>$MSSQLSERVER

2)  SQL

The reason this happened to me is because I was attempting to create a database from a .bak file which was not created on my machine.  Whenever you backup an existing database, the above SQL accounts are already added to the security profile of the backup file.  Because I was using a .bak file created on another machine, the necessary SQL accounts on my machine hadn't been granted permissions.  Adding them manually helped. 

If you run into a similar problem at the folder-level, try right-clicking to see if the above two accounts exist within the Security tab. 
    Friday, April 25, 2008 5:42 AM
  • Thanks, that helped a lot.

AvenueStuart wrote:
    This happened to me when I attempted to create a new database from a .bak file using RESTORE.  I just right-clicked on the .bak file, selected Properties and then clicked the Security tab.  Then, I did a Check Name for "SQL" and added the following two SQL accounts from the list:

1)  SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$<machine name>$MSSQLSERVER

2)  SQL

The reason this happened to me is because I was attempting to create a database from a .bak file which was not created on my machine.  Whenever you backup an existing database, the above SQL accounts are already added to the security profile of the backup file.  Because I was using a .bak file created on another machine, the necessary SQL accounts on my machine hadn't been granted permissions.  Adding them manually helped. 

If you run into a similar problem at the folder-level, try right-clicking to see if the above two accounts exist within the Security tab. 

Friday, June 06, 2008 5:39 PM
  • "Control panel->administrative tools->services-> SQL Server

at the properties i choose 'log on as: local system account and also choosed to allo service to interact with desktop'"

totally agree. otherwise i was still lost. Thanks heaps.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:38 PM
  •  

Make sure you dhould be having enough access on the drive. from SQL level and OS level too.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:36 PM
  •  Arxigos wrote:

great help..i had the same problem and i have resolve it doing the follow

and MSDE 2005

at the properties i choose 'log on as: local system account and also choosed to allo service to interact with desktop'

Thank you for explaining, i was lost, and i didnt know wut else to do thanks

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 5:42 PM
  • I was having the same problem trying to restore a backup file sent to me.  Heres how I fixed it:

Copied the backup file into SQL's default backup directory (Program files\SQL\MSSQL.1\Backup)

Right clicked the file, properties

Under Security clicked Advanced

Check "Inherit from parent...." apply and ok

Should do the trick....in my case the directory had the right permissions so if I did a backup the file would get the right permissions but on a file sent to me it did NOT have the right permissions.  Doing this assigns the same permissions and the backup folder and also then you don't have to make any other system changes since you just changed the file.  Hope this helps someone.

-Allan
    Friday, August 08, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Thanks, this solution worked for me
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Thank you Simon Sa,
    Even i had the same error while i was trying to backup to my local drive and I added my NETWORK SERVICES to allow to write onto my local Drive this was very helpful to me Thankuuu....
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:49 PM
  •  Arxigos wrote:

great help..i had the same problem and i have resolve it doing the follow

and MSDE 2005

This worked perfect for me.
    Thanks!!!
    Thursday, October 02, 2008 2:20 PM
  • Thanks for all who gave this great info. Save me a lot of time...

Monday, October 06, 2008 4:05 PM
  •  

Hello all,

I had a similar issue with this problem while restoring a database backup file.

We were able to solve the problem by giving Read permissions to the SQLBrowserUser.

You can find the discussions at http://www.kodyaz.com/forums/thread/3515.aspx

Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:23 AM
  • Thank You Thank You Thank You - This saved me too. I'm so thankful for you taking the time to reply.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 2:00 PM
  • İt worked for me . Thank you very much Simon.

I added NETWORK and NETWORK SERVICE accounts to the copy folder permisssions and security tabs.

SimonS_ wrote:

You need to check the security permissions on the folder you are trying to backup to. Make sure the service account (Network Service) has write permissions. It may well not do.

SQL on changing the service account changes the permissions on the critical drives it knows about but won't to it for all the drives in a server.

• Proposed as answer by ssbpr Monday, June 17, 2013 7:04 PM
    Friday, November 21, 2008 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

Just a google searcher who found your post and wanted to say thanks!  Your directions solved my issue.  Appreciate you taking the time to write it down!

-RandyB

Friday, January 23, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Hi  Arxigos,

Thanks...
    alg
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:29 AM
  • Same problem, same solution... thanks a lot.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:57 AM
  • Hi I seem to be running into a similar issue. Trying to use the DBCopyTool from codeplex, my issue is that I receive the error when the application is trying to copy the .bak file from my local machine to the backup folder on the remote machine...so I new to SQL any detailed response would be helpful seems like most users are receving a .bak file to restore...I'm sending a file to a remote machine to have it restored, thanks.

Error restoring the database. Cannot open backup device 'E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\QCTL_new_CopyTool.bak'.
    Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).
    RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnormally.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:30 PM
  • I tangled with the same problem.  I solved it by changing the SQL Server Service Logon to Local System.  Which is weird because all my other SQL Servers use the NetworkService account.  

I've backed up and restored dozens of databases on many different servers all over the place and I've only seen this problem on this one machine.  I'm not sure why this is like this.  

The machine was recently rebuilt due to a RAID failure but I'm not sure that was the problem.  Bizarre.  

If anyone finds out why this happens in the first place I'd really like to know.  

Monday, September 28, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Thanks to  Arxigos,

Was also googling several hours to find an answer.

Thanks again for the solution.

DKV
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:16 AM
  • you guys are real life-savers. you save my day.

Man may come and Man may go, but I go on forever
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:49 AM
  • Saved me too.  This one made no sense.  I was working with an application called MediaBin which invokes the backup out of SQL 2005.  Well, I moved the repository for MediaBin to a new bigger location and the backup immediately failed.  Thank god I was able to find the error message "Operating system error 5(Access is denied.)" in a log file.  Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by Tim Ely Monday, April 16, 2012 3:55 PM
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:22 PM
  • Thanks for your help. It saved me too.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:46 AM
  • In order to simplify the issue, for our particular configuration, I just created a share on the SQL Server, and gave "Everyone" full control. Since our SQL install is run as the "Local System" account, I surmise that this allows that user to have full access to the share. I plan to copy the backup files to the new SQL Server, and do the same thing there for the restore operation. I might want to remove the share after the operation has completed... :D
    • Proposed as answer by ToddHiltz Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:34 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:33 PM
  • Maybe EveryOne is not so suitable to use, ever... One way is to check the default backup location: C:\Program\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Backup and either use that path for backup, or use the same security settings on another folder. SQL server makes its own users and groups for different purposes at install and that works fine to use them, eg SQLServerMSSQLUser$computername$SQLEXPRESS.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:42 AM
  •  

I have written an article on SQL Server backups and the solution for this issue,

http://venkattechnicalblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/database-backups-in-sql-server.html

Cheers,

Venkatesan Prabu .J

Venkatesan Prabu .J http://venkattechnicalblog.blogspot.com/
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 8:15 PM
  • This errors has been an ongoing issue:

1. System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: Cannot open backup device 'F:\foldername'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.). (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

and

2. Msg 3201, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Cannot open backup device 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\//ves10/New/filenam.bak'. Operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.)

The easy way to solve this is by:

1. going to the properies of : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL ,  on the security tab give full access to the user SQLSerevr2005MSSQLUser$ the full access

2. Create a new user login account in the SQL server and give it all the privilages present which include  sysadmin, setupadmin, dbcreator etc.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:52 AM
  • >> Control panel->administrative tools->services-> SQL Server

>> at the properties i choose 'log on as: local system account and also choosed to allo service to interact with desktop'

Thanks a lot, it is still saving people lives years after posting this solution. But I wonder what made it behave like this in the first place!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:43 AM
  • Arxigos ... Thanks a lot buddy.

- Vijay Kumar Jayabal

Friday, May 28, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Hi

I am to getting this same error and I solved this by

>> Control panel->administrative tools->services-> SQL Server

>> at the properties i choose 'log on as: local system account and also choosed to allo service to interact with desktop'

Is it possible by someother way to overcome this error possibly a sql query? or should we need to add the command line to enable 'local system account' at the time of SQL Express installation itself?

Please help me

Thanks in advance

Prabhakaran

Saturday, June 05, 2010 11:01 AM
  • here it is 6/2010 and this is still a problem...I understand the solution, but it shouldn't matter where I want to backup a db, becuase 1-it shouldn't matter where I want to backup a db and 2-becuase it my computer...who's in control here
    Monday, June 14, 2010 3:24 PM
  • wow..

SQL 2005:I am running into this same issue, but in my case, backing it up to a share in a different domain.

SQL Server\SQL Server agent started with Pduct\domain account and backing databases to a share in a non-pduct domain share.

It works fine if I backup for the same non-pduct domain sql server, but not from pduct domain.  Getting 'Access is denied'. I tried all the above options mentioned.

Any idea what else can I do to solve this. Having the network eng to look into permissions on the share, waiting for a reply, meantime I found this.

• Proposed as answer by RaulQ Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:53 PM
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:59 PM
  • You may need to check the domain connectivity. I have seen where connect from one domain to other they used to use bridge domain. It means from domain A your AD group belogs to and you want to connect to domain B, then you have to connect to the domain C_B and from C_B domain you can connect to the domain B.

Definatly it is lengthy process to copy your files on the different domain.

As you mentioned "Access denied" that means your domain B account is not trusted with the server.

Manu Please click the Mark as Answer if my post solves your issue.
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:05 PM
  • I had the same problem. checked the folder, removed the "READ ONLY" and "Service" to the list of accounts who have permission and it WORKED. THANKS to all of you

Michael

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:07 PM
  • I have the same problem...

Trying to backup an external database, and save the backup to my local computer!

First of all the folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup" did not exist...

So I tried create it manually, and do backup... No file is created, but the program says, that the backup is successfull... Do not understand why???

Monday, August 16, 2010 6:42 PM
  • Ok... I found another way to do it...

Downloaded this program to do a backup:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=56e5b1c5-bf17-42e0-a410-371a838e570a&displaylang=en

Maybe this could help someone... Helped me :)

-

Jesper

Monday, August 16, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Thanks AvenueStuart. It worked for me.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 2:24 PM
  • I agree ... everything worked fine one day and then I'm guessing after installing some patch I now have to explicitly go to the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL" directory, right click and select Properties then go to the Security tab and add "NETWORK SERVICE" as having full access.  What the heck is that all about?  Why does it matter all of a sudden?  I've done this restore from database many times in the past and it never wrote any files to that directory before, it always wrote to the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data" directory. 

Also I DID NOT change the "login as" for the SQL Server service because I WANT it to use the NETWORK SERVICE account not a local system account.

• Proposed as answer by wmoze Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:42 PM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:19 PM
  • let me simplify it, go to control panel>services and see the "Logon As" for MSSQLSERVER. Remember this user.

Now go to ur desired backup folder(anywhere in ur Network).

Righ click>property>sharing>permission

Now the same user with full access control. Apply

u r done!! Go agead and make ur back up.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:56 PM
  • Solution posted by Moonguy close to the top worked for me.

Every database I worked with restored fine ecept the one I needed to work with, until I gave the MSSQL user account permissions to my folder, or copied the backup file to the MSSQL.2008\backup folder.

Why other databases worked fine, or this problem only croppe dup for this DB, I don't know, but it works now.

Monday, November 01, 2010 12:54 PM
  • I had the same issue but fixed it like this:

1. Create and share the folder (in my case c:\backup\). Then give everyone read/write permissions for the folder (\\SERVERNAME\backup\). Alternative you could give the NETWORK SERVICE full control in the share

2. Use the UNC patch as export location \\SERVERNAME\backup\

And then rock on :)

• Edited by musch Monday, November 22, 2010 11:40 AM minor text edit
    Monday, November 22, 2010 11:35 AM
  • @Moonguy!

Thanks for the solution it works "Go to Backup directory and check the user name. Its very big name and I have not checked how SQL server adds it in allowed users list"

I added the SQLusername to my folder and it works!

Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:53 PM
  • Thanks so much, this did the trick for me!
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:51 AM
  • Adding the service account and giving write permissions to it solved the problem for me.

Friday, April 15, 2011 11:04 AM
  • Had the same problem running Virtual Server 2008 with SQL 2008. Added the MSSQL account to the permission list for the folder I wanted to save backups in and it worked. Thanks

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:05 PM
  • This worked for me. Just added those users to have permission on my backup folder. Thank you very much.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:31 AM
  • i am facing the same prblm i am wrking on asp.net & trying to backupa file on network folder

i have given all permission to everyone to the shared network folder still i get the above error msg

svk
    Friday, August 05, 2011 12:22 PM
  • Same do I, thanks alot
    Monday, August 08, 2011 7:28 AM
  • My solution was to copy the .bak file to a USB drive, then restore it from there.
    Friday, September 02, 2011 1:40 PM
  • You are great. Thanks for explaining step by step.

Thanks,

Rushabh.

Rushabh
    Friday, September 02, 2011 2:58 PM
  • This problem occurs when you are attempting to backup to a UNC patch and the SQL server does not have "modify" rights to the backup path. With the backup path sharepoint, and on the backup directory itself, grant the SQL server "modify" rights - when doing this be sure that "computers" is selected under "object types"

This fixed my issue. Thank you!!

Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:50 PM
  • When you try to backup, SQL Server 2005 shows the default backup path i.e. c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\ . This directory default has SQL user rights. Go to Backup directory and check the user name. Its very big name and I have not checked how SQL server adds it in allowed users list.

Thank you, I hadn't even considered file permissions :)

Thursday, October 06, 2011 11:17 AM
  • Not sure I'm understanding this.  So...to test backups I tried to run a farm backup to c:\backups on my sharepoint app server - failed.

I gave the SQL svc, SQL agent, network and network service accounts full control on this directory.

Do I also need to give rights on the SQL server default backup directory actually on the SQL box?

Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:52 AM
  • Control panel->administrative tools->services-> SQL Server

THIS WORKED FOR ME - THANKS!

Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Here is a bit detail of the Answer that worked for me.

1. find out the sql server agent`s account.  Eg. Abebe (Services>right click on sql server agent> ppy> login...)

2. Go to the drive that you want to do backup to. Eg. M

3. right click on the M drive and select properties -> Security-> Edit-> Add-> the sql agent account( Abebe) and grant a MODIFY, READ and WRITE  rights(permissions)

4. Go to Services->Sql Server Agent (right click it and restart)

5. Now the SQL server Agent has enough permission on that drive to open and get access to it.

6.If you try to take a backup after the above steps it should work.

Good luck

P.S. If further help or clarification is needed let me know.

Also do the same for the account that runs the SQL Server as well.

• Edited by not-gready Tuesday, May 01, 2012 5:31 PM added more info
    Tuesday, May 01, 2012 5:22 PM
  • This is correct.  I checked my SQL Server Service properties and I was running under "Network Service".  Once I granted Network Service read/write access to the location I was trying to back-up to, it worked.
    Monday, November 05, 2012 6:52 PM
  • I have gotten this error because when I created the database, I accidentally left a space at the end of the database name. This causes our backup job to produce an incorrect folder location and generates the very error you refer to. It is easy not to notice this in the backup job log and you would never notice this is the list of databases in management studio
    Monday, November 05, 2012 7:31 PM
  • thanks a lot
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 7:13 AM
  • Some of my clients report me the same error the problem was that he was using the folder name "d:\data" but he has forgotten to add the file name of the backup, so, we add the file name "d:\data\BKDB01.bk" and works.

Regards

felxs

Felx

Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:22 PM
  • I had this same issue. new disk that I was backing up to.  I had to create a directory in the disk and then was able to back up to that directory.  wasnt able to backup to the root of the disk.

Friday, August 16, 2013 12:46 PM
  • I've been burned by this before, but didn't think to check it until I had spent an hour trying to back up a SCVMM SQL 2012 database:  The SQL Agent service wasn't running because it was set to manual start (the default).  I started the service and had no trouble with the backup.  Of course, I then set the service to automatic startup, since this shouldn't cause any harm.

This is a very old thread and I didn't read the whole thing, but someone early on simply mentioned the SQL Agent service and that was enough to remind me, so thanks for that!

Sunday, October 06, 2013 9:50 PM
  • This problem also exists for SQL 2012 - it usually occurs if using the "non-default" directory to backup files to.

You have one of two options - 

1) Give the MSSQLService service instance a named local/domain account to run under and then give that account permissions to the directory.

2) Or if you wish to continue to allow the MSSQLService account to run under Network Service - navigate to the backup directory and give modify rights to NT Service\MSSQLService (not sure if this is correct if using named instances - could well be NT Service\MSSQLServer$WhateverNamedInstance)

Giving the SQL Agent service a named user account and giving it the appropriate folder rights didn't seem to make any difference.

Saturday, November 16, 2013 12:58 PM
  • " failed with the following error: "Cannot open backup device '
    o nome do database estava com espaço em branco no final
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:06 PM
  • Ele consegue fazer backup, manual, mais quando voce tenta fazer via manitenance plan da error

" failed with the following error: "Cannot open backup device '

Verifique o nome do database

(o nome do database estava com espaço em branco no final)

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:09 PM
  • Por questsãos en portugues, es melhor aquí:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/pt-BR/home?forum=infrageral

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:38 PM
  • can you think of a good reason that this would work sometimes but not other times.  I only get this error intermittently.
    Friday, August 08, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Sometimes the folder exists, and then you get this error. Sometimes the there is no folder with this name, and it is possible to create the file.

Although Windows does not really like when you try to create files on the top level of a disk, and tends to have restrictive permissions.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Friday, August 08, 2014 9:26 PM