none
VersionMember_ID no longer in subscription views in SQL 2012 MDS

Frage

• WTF did Microsoft do with the subscription views in SQL 2012 MDS? What WAS called the [VersionMember_ID] in a subscription view is now simply [ID].

Here's my issue; I have hundreds of subscription views that are consumed by other down-stream processes and they all rely on the [VersionMember_ID] field in the views. Now that the database has been upgraded to MDS 2012, those same subscription views expose a column named [ID]. This breaks all my down-stream processes.

I consider this an EPIC FAILURE of the design team of MDS. They were kind enough to keep the original batch based staging tables for backward compatibility concerns, but to go an REMOVE a column from a subscription view is ABSOLUTELY UNEXCUSABLE.

I mean, really, how hard would it be to expose the [ID] column TWICE in every subscription view, once as [ID] and once as [VersionMemver_ID]. If you then wanted to use the view in backward compatibility mode, you could use the [VersonMember_ID] column. If you are going strictly with MDS 2012, use the [ID] column.

Todd C - MSCTS SQL Server 2005, MCITP BI Dev 2008 Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

Donnerstag, 4. April 2013 15:26

Alle Antworten

• Hi Todd,

Thank you for your question.  I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Donnerstag, 11. April 2013 03:17
  • Hi,

It mentioned that the fix already in place for SQL 2012 CU1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2679368

Please try it.

Regards,
    Christian HL
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Donnerstag, 11. April 2013 03:27
  • Thanks, Christian, for the feedback, but I clicked on the link. The article is rather long so I did a search for the phrase "VersionMember_ID" and found nothing. Searched for "Master" and found one note about Master Data Services not supported on a cluster.

Can you supply the VSTS Bug Number or the specific KB article number?

BTW, We are running SQL Server 2012 version 11.0.3000

Todd C - MSCTS SQL Server 2005, MCITP BI Dev 2008 Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

Donnerstag, 11. April 2013 12:14
  • Hi,

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/726447/versionmember-id-no-longer-exists-in-subscription-views

Regards,
    Christian HL
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Freitag, 12. April 2013 01:28
  • OK, That link bring me to a CONNECT site that reports this issue. Of Microsoft's two post links regarding the matter, one doesn't work, and the other is the same as you supplied.

This time I read through ALL the article titles and NONE of them talked about the VersionMember_ID issue. What's more, the sections at the bottom are broken out by SQL component (SSIS, SSRS,etc.) There is no seciton for MDS.

How do i know Microsoft fixed this bug in the CU if it isn't listed? I hate having to 'just install the update" if it's not actually there!

Again, I'm running Version 11.0.3000, and the CU lists Version 11.0.2316. Seems I already have a higher version than offered by the CU ?!?

Freitag, 12. April 2013 02:08