none
Install Fails: PowerPivot 2012 RTM 32 bit with Excel 32 bit , .Net 4 and VSTO 2010 64 bit on 64 bit Win 7

Frage

• Hello everyone,

I have read the similar post about PowerPivot not running after install here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/sqlkjpowerpivotforexcel/thread/fe83c11a-2417-435d-be19-6dd0fadc66ce

My problem however is that PowerPivot 2012 RTM will not install (vs. not run after successful install) throwing a "Setup is missing prerequisites" error.

I have the following setup:

• 64 bit Windows 7 Enterprise, with Service Pack 1
    • 32 bit Office Professional Plus 2010 with all Office Shared Features installed
    • .NET 4 Framework (Client Profile and Extended show up in Programs and Features list)
    • 64 bit Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office (VSTO) Runtime (also shows 64 bit Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable v 9.0.30729.17)

I cannot find any documentation that says you must be all 64 bit or 32 bit for PowerPivot 2012 to work....  but it seems like 32 bit Excel would need 32 bit VSTO to use it, but Win 7 64 bit will only let you install VSTO 64 bit.

Can anyone verify if I need to use Office 64 bit and 64 bit PowerPivot to get it to work?

I also would like to add that Microsoft's claim of "Self Service" Business Intelligence cannot be true until you can seamlessly (read One-Click) install PowerPivot.  If it needs .NET 4 and VSTO it should automatically fetch these during the download, not throw an error and say to visit a webpage where the webpage link is both NOT click-able and NOT selectable to paste into a browser! If you need an IT department to setup the software, it's not self-service.

Thanks for your time.

Mittwoch, 4. April 2012 16:45

Antworten

• Hi,

You can try to run an msiexec from the command prompt as an administrator.  Here are the steps to follow:

1.       Select Start and type cmd in the search box

2.       Right click on the cmd icon and select ‘Run as administrator’

3.       Enter the msiexec/i  <path to you install file>

4.       Hit enter and follow the install wizard

Challen Fu

TechNet Community Support

• Als Antwort markiert BobHortech Donnerstag, 12. April 2012 13:13
    Dienstag, 10. April 2012 09:08

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

You can try to run an msiexec from the command prompt as an administrator.  Here are the steps to follow:

1.       Select Start and type cmd in the search box

2.       Right click on the cmd icon and select ‘Run as administrator’

3.       Enter the msiexec/i  <path to you install file>

4.       Hit enter and follow the install wizard

Challen Fu

TechNet Community Support

• Als Antwort markiert BobHortech Donnerstag, 12. April 2012 13:13
    Dienstag, 10. April 2012 09:08
  • I too have x64 bit W7 and Office 2010 32 bit and get a similar error.

Same error is returned when trying to run msiexec through command prompt.

Dienstag, 10. April 2012 17:33
  • You are the MAN!

Thank you so much.  This worked flawlessly.  I did not have any additional steps to go through.

For others trying the same thing- Beginner's tip -  You only see PowerPivot inside Excel, which I did not realize.

Donnerstag, 12. April 2012 13:18
  • Thank you very much for this answer. It took care of my problem.

Jack R. Johnson

Freitag, 16. November 2012 18:38
  • Thank you so much.  I had tried everything else for a couple of weeks and nothing else had worked.

This worked perfectly.

Thanks

Montag, 30. September 2013 18:13