none
Authentication Errors

Frage

• Hi,

I notice there are lots of the below entries in the sql errorlog :

Date  1/3/2012 9:24:54 AM
    Log  SQL Server (Current - 1/3/2012 9:21:00 AM)

Source  Logon

Login failed for user ''. Reason: An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Windows authentication only. [CLIENT: 192.168.27.222]

Date  1/3/2012 9:24:54 AM
    Log  SQL Server (Current - 1/3/2012 9:21:00 AM)

Source  Logon

The instance has been running in Mixed mode since installation. There is a connection coming from an application using sql authentication but the instance replied saying that it's configured for Windows authentication only. Any clue ?

TIA !

Donnerstag, 1. März 2012 02:06

Antworten

Alle Antworten

• Are you sure that the server is still using both authentication methods? 

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Donnerstag, 1. März 2012 02:11
  • Yes, the sql errorlog indicates Mixed mode when it starts up.

I'm also able to login using Windows and sql authentication.

Donnerstag, 1. März 2012 03:31
  • Yes, the sql errorlog indicates Mixed mode when it starts up. :  Starts up means After restarting the SQL services in the SQL Error Log

it says Mixed mode?

Nag Pal MCTS/MCITP (SQL Server 2005/2008) :: Please Mark Answer/vote if it is helpful ::

Donnerstag, 1. März 2012 03:59
  • Must be using SQL Server 2000

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Donnerstag, 1. März 2012 04:03
  • Check the connection string for the application to ensure it doesn't include trusted_connection=true.  If it does, delete it.

Jeff Wharton

Freitag, 2. März 2012 10:06
  • Hi,

It's SQL 2008. The application that is connecting to it is SAP B1. Not sure how they connect, but they are using SQL authentication.

Montag, 5. März 2012 01:43
  • Hi,

It's SQL 2008. The application that is connecting to it is SAP B1. Not sure how they connect, but they are using SQL authentication.

You will need to find out how they are conencting

Jeff Wharton

Montag, 5. März 2012 01:56
  • Hi,

You will need to find out how they are conencting

Jeff Wharton

Can you please elaborate on this. We are also having same issue and everybody keeps suggesting us to keep the server in mixed mode but that is not the solution here. That may apply to cases where some new DBA or accidental DBA has faced this problem. It does not solve the purpose for us:-(

Here is my scenario:

My SQL Server engine is hosted on a server in my domain but the services run under a local account: Server\App

where App is a local account defined on the system and has sysadmin access.

My client is hosted on a server in the same domain and it uses SQL authentication to avoid any SPN issues or Kerberos errors.

But we keep getting error intermittently:

Source        Logon

Login failed for user ''. Reason: An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Windows authentication only. [CLIENT: xxxxxxx]

Source        Logon

I will appreciate some pointers because I am not able to find any help regarding this.

Regards

Chandan

Mittwoch, 25. April 2012 07:34
  • Hi,

Definitely looks like a client configuration error.

SAP is connecting to the database with a wrong connection string (probably stating SSPI or Integrated Security while it should be providing an

SQL Login and its Password).

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Mittwoch, 25. April 2012 12:45