none
Multiple Processor Configurations

Frage

• Good afternoon,

Is it possible to configure SQL Server in such a way that it only uses one of the 2 CPU's in a server?  At present, the server contains 2 x 12 core CPUs, but we want to prevent SQL using the second processor completely.

I was looking around in the Processors property, and noticed that, at present, under "Enable Processors" both the Automatic set processor affinity mask for all processors, and the Automatically set IO affinity mask for all processors options were both checked.

What changes can I make to make only 1 CPU active without actually removing the CPU physically?

I was looking at assigning 6 cores to IO and 6 cores to Processor, and not including ANY CPU's from the second processor?

We are running  SQL 2008 R2 Standard x64 on Windows 2008 R2 Standard x64.

Regards

Dienstag, 6. März 2012 12:30

Alle Antworten

• I've just found this query : 

select scheduler_id,cpu_id, status, is_online from sys.dm_os_schedulers where status='VISIBLE ONLINE' 

Which seems to list the processors that SQL is using. 

When I configured the testing instance with the Processor Affinity checked for CPU0-5, and I/O Affinity checked on CPU6-11 I get the following: 

12 0 VISIBLE ONLINE 1
    13 1 VISIBLE ONLINE 1
    14 2 VISIBLE ONLINE 1
    15 3 VISIBLE ONLINE 1
    16 4 VISIBLE ONLINE 1
    17 5 VISIBLE ONLINE 1

So, does this mean that I need to reconfigure with CPU6-11 being under the Processor Affinity option, and remove all from the I/O affinity? I'm just making myself more confused :)

Dienstag, 6. März 2012 12:43
  • Hi, this NUMA link may help make it clearer http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345345.aspx and it also has some how to links.
    Dienstag, 6. März 2012 20:07