none
Deciding the winning row

Dotaz

• Hello,

I have question regarding MDM approach, not from technical perspective but implementation perspective, Is there a book out there like Kimball DW toolkit which can describe the approach for MDM. I have a situation where i have 3 sources CRM, Legacy, Accounts. three of them has customer information, also my firm has acquired 5 firms which were doing business with same customers, so in Legacy i have duplicate customer entries with different fuzzy names and address. when implementing MDM solution. How do we determine, which record is correct?

Thank You

9. dubna 2012 20:36

Odpovědi

• Farrukh,

In my experience, the system that you want to pull data in from is the one that meets the 'fit for purpose' criteria.  Which system has the purpose of maintaining customer information.   Other systems may contain customer information (and probably allow people to add / edit / delete customer) but they have other purposes.  The CRM system is typically the 'fit for purpose' app for customers.  As far as matching customer names, I typically need to work with business or data stewards to decide on rules/assumptions to decide whether 2 records match or whether they are just similar.  Unfortunately, I do not know of any bible for MDM like there is for data warehousing (kimball).   Hope this helps.

12. dubna 2012 21:57

Všechny reakce

• Farrukh,

In my experience, the system that you want to pull data in from is the one that meets the 'fit for purpose' criteria.  Which system has the purpose of maintaining customer information.   Other systems may contain customer information (and probably allow people to add / edit / delete customer) but they have other purposes.  The CRM system is typically the 'fit for purpose' app for customers.  As far as matching customer names, I typically need to work with business or data stewards to decide on rules/assumptions to decide whether 2 records match or whether they are just similar.  Unfortunately, I do not know of any bible for MDM like there is for data warehousing (kimball).   Hope this helps.

12. dubna 2012 21:57
  • Hi Farrukh,

Your question concerns among other things the diciplins of matching, survivorship, merge and even possibly un-merge. Since MDS doesn't have to be the system-of-entry, and concidering the fact that customer data can change in various line-of-business systems in your organization the problem area can be quite delicate.

In order to get to know the theories of Master Data Management I suggest the book "Master Data Management" by David Loshin ISBN: 978-0-12-374225-4

It'll provide you with a good theoretical background before jumping in and saving the corporate master data issues with MS Master Data Services.

Best Regards,

Magnus Wernersson

25. dubna 2012 10:36