none
Installing Silverlight 5 Tools hangs up.

Question

• I downloaded SL5 onto a Windows 7 64-bit OS.  Then I started Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate and tried opening a SL4 solution that contains 6 projects.  A message appears that says:

"you need to install the latest silverlight developer runtime before opening silverlight project"

It prompts me to download SL once again, even though I downloaded SL5 before I opened the solution.  So I allowed it to download it again.  Then a message pops up that says "Install Silverlight 4 for Developers".  What? SL4?  But I just downloaded SL5.  Then no matter what I do, it won't load the projects.

Is the SL5 installation bad?  Do you have have to do something special to migrate a SL4 solution to SL5?  Where do I go from here?

Friday, December 16, 2011 10:29 AM

Answers

• I solved the problem.  The following issues caused the problem:

1)  I shouldn't have deleted the old Silverlight versions 3 and 4 before installing the new ones.  Leave them there or there will be big problems.

2) Norton Antivirus prevented several operations from completing properly -- uninstalls, installs, updates, and system restores.  I turned most of its features off and that worked.  I read some posts where some people had to uninstall it.  Fortunately I didn't have to do that because I downloaded the products and don't have an install CD.  I would have to pay for a new product in order to reinstall it.

3) I discovered that there are 2 versions of the Silverlight 5 plugin - one for the users and one for the developers.  I had installed the one for users.  I removed it and installed the one for developers.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/silverlightgen/thread/475d7dca-eebf-4d50-87f8-957f6415fb63//1?How+to+upgrade+a+Silverlight+4+application+to+Silverlight+5+

To solve the problem:  I had uninstalled some previous Silverlight programs, so that corrupted Visual Studio.  So I disabled Norton Antivirus, and then unistalled all Silverlight programs, Visual Studio 2010 SP1, and Visual Sudio 2010.  After rebooting Windows 7, I installed Visual Studio 2010 and VS 2010 SP1, and ran Windows Update and installed the updates. After rebooting Windows 7, I downloaded and installed the SL5 developer plugin (not the user plugin), SL5 Tools, and SL5 Toolkit.

A good thing to know:  I discovered Microsoft Windows 7 System Restore located in the Control Panel.  It allows you to restore your system to the pont it was at a previous date before you hozed it up.  Be sure to take full system backups periodically so that you can restore to the point that you wish. You might not even need a backup if the problem hapened recently.  An antirus program will prevent it from working right, so be sure to completely disable or remove your Antivirus before using it.  I could have restored to a point before I uninstalled the SL programs and then installed SL5 properly.  But by the time I realized that I had already done most of the steps described above.

• Marked as answer by Gary Frank Friday, November 30, 2012 4:51 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 1:15 PM

All replies

• Gary,

you need to check the following

what version do you have installed?  http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-started/install/default.aspx

My version is 5.0.6118.0

If you have a previous version like a silverlight 5 release candidate you will have to unistall

and then reinstall...

If that does not work, install visual studio 2010 sp1 and then install silverlight 5

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/silverlightdevtools/thread/d2344ed4-a430-4db6-91ef-27b17253fff9#a040ed31-c2d3-4316-845b-972dea6aa00d

here is  an old topic covering your

problem

Friday, December 16, 2011 11:49 AM
  • Did you install the runtime or the Silverlight 5 tools?

http://www.silverlight.net/downloads

Friday, December 16, 2011 12:05 PM
  • No I didn't install the Tools or the Toolkit.  I read Pete Brown's article and dicsovered that I need to do that.

http://10rem.net/blog/2011/12/09/announcing-the-release-of-silverlight-5

The Tools installation hung up so I cancelled it and will try again.

Friday, December 16, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Hi Gary,

I had this same problem and I solved by reinstalling the Silverlight 5 Developer Runtime and Silverlight 5 Tools (in that order).

http://www.silverlight.net/downloads

Cheers,

Caio Proiete
    http://caioproiete.net
    http://twitter.com/caioproiete 

Friday, December 16, 2011 2:40 PM
  • I removed all Silverlight programs using control panel.

Loaded the Developer runtime (64-bit).

Reapplied VS 2010 SP1.

Restarted the computer.

I attempted to install the Silverlight 5 Tools.  It again appears to be hung up.  The status bar is stuck at about the 66% point.  The control panel status shows that Setup.exe is doing a lot of writing to the disk.  I let it run for about an hour and finally cancelled it.  It wouldn't cancel so I shut down Windows to get it to stop.  It was hung in a loop.  It didn't display messages that said what part of the install it was on.

I think the next thing to ttry is to completely uninstall Visual Studio 2010 and all of the Silverlight tools that actually did get installed?  Maybe I can install SL5 by starting with a completly clean slate?  Install Visual Studio, VS SP1, then install Silverlight 5 in a particular order? 

Friday, December 16, 2011 6:27 PM
  • i have face same type of problem. i follow below step and my problem is solved.

1) Uninstall All Silverlight Version from Control Panel

2) Uninstall Visual Studio Service Pack 1.

3) Restart PC

4) Install Silverlight 4 Developer Tools

5) Now you can Install Visual Studio Service Pack 1.

6) Now you can Install Silverlight 5.

Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:17 AM
  • I solved the problem (see next post).

Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:40 PM
  • I solved the problem.  The following issues caused the problem:

1)  I shouldn't have deleted the old Silverlight versions 3 and 4 before installing the new ones.  Leave them there or there will be big problems.

2) Norton Antivirus prevented several operations from completing properly -- uninstalls, installs, updates, and system restores.  I turned most of its features off and that worked.  I read some posts where some people had to uninstall it.  Fortunately I didn't have to do that because I downloaded the products and don't have an install CD.  I would have to pay for a new product in order to reinstall it.

3) I discovered that there are 2 versions of the Silverlight 5 plugin - one for the users and one for the developers.  I had installed the one for users.  I removed it and installed the one for developers.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/silverlightgen/thread/475d7dca-eebf-4d50-87f8-957f6415fb63//1?How+to+upgrade+a+Silverlight+4+application+to+Silverlight+5+

To solve the problem:  I had uninstalled some previous Silverlight programs, so that corrupted Visual Studio.  So I disabled Norton Antivirus, and then unistalled all Silverlight programs, Visual Studio 2010 SP1, and Visual Sudio 2010.  After rebooting Windows 7, I installed Visual Studio 2010 and VS 2010 SP1, and ran Windows Update and installed the updates. After rebooting Windows 7, I downloaded and installed the SL5 developer plugin (not the user plugin), SL5 Tools, and SL5 Toolkit.

A good thing to know:  I discovered Microsoft Windows 7 System Restore located in the Control Panel.  It allows you to restore your system to the pont it was at a previous date before you hozed it up.  Be sure to take full system backups periodically so that you can restore to the point that you wish. You might not even need a backup if the problem hapened recently.  An antirus program will prevent it from working right, so be sure to completely disable or remove your Antivirus before using it.  I could have restored to a point before I uninstalled the SL programs and then installed SL5 properly.  But by the time I realized that I had already done most of the steps described above.

• Marked as answer by Gary Frank Friday, November 30, 2012 4:51 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Hey Gary,

Good to know you were able to solve your problem. As you found out you needed to Install SL5 Tools and not just SL5 Runtime.

Tools installation can appear to be hung as SL5 Tools installer includes a path to VS 2010 and depending on the number of SKUs on your machine it can take a long time.

Thanks,

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:38 AM
  • To solve the problem:  I had uninstalled some previous Silverlight programs, so that corrupted Visual Studio.  So I disabled Norton Antivirus, and then unistalled all Silverlight programs, Visual Studio 2010 SP1, and Visual Sudio 2010.  After rebooting Windows 7, I installed Visual Studio 2010 and VS 2010 SP1, and ran Windows Update and installed the updates. After rebooting Windows 7, I downloaded and installed the SL5 developer plugin (not the user plugin), SL5 Tools, and SL5 Toolkit.

I simply forgot to turn off Norton Antivirus by doing the disable Auto-Protect. As I sometime forget to do when installing something. This solved my problem with the update install hanging. It then installed successfully.

Friday, December 30, 2011 1:14 PM