none
How do I create a ultra light control ?

Question

• I need to create a ultralight control that consists of a rectangle with a border and a single character in side. I want to pile them upp on the screen in the thousands, a matrix of 100 x 100 if I can. I need to have a MouseOver, MouseEnter and MouseLeve event. I need to be able to move them around in a Canvas. I need to be able to sett it's background property and it's single character.

A matrix og numbers

I've tryed to create a control with Xaml template and deravied from Control, it's ionly good when you have a matrix of 30 x 100 when I go higher the computer gets slow and unresponsive.

The same goes for Border and Label.

Any Ideas ?

Sverrir Petursson

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:50 PM

Answers

• Instancing each cell is not a solution.

Try to create just one control which renders all cells (characters) at once, depending on the position (if scrolled). 

To get the magic done for mouse enter/leave events, you could calculate it depending on the mouse position inside your control and its offset, since you should know the size of the character cells you have.

Monday, July 18, 2011 7:57 AM

All replies

• This is the prefect example of when using custom controls is a bad idea. Controls in Silverlight are relatively heavy by design. In your situation you should simply treat your matrix (board) as a single control. Using writeable bitmap could be another possible solution. 

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Instancing each cell is not a solution.

Try to create just one control which renders all cells (characters) at once, depending on the position (if scrolled). 

To get the magic done for mouse enter/leave events, you could calculate it depending on the mouse position inside your control and its offset, since you should know the size of the character cells you have.

Monday, July 18, 2011 7:57 AM