none
cannot install silverlight on Vista SP2 with Message ID 1601 ( to view netflix)

Question

• I am trying to install silverlight on vista SP2 so i can watch netflix videos, which turns to be unsuccessful every time i try to install. i tried different approaches but i was unsuccessful. when i turn to event viewer there is this message (Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80070424). then I tried fixit from microsoft which did not help and when it prompted me to install fixit center the center upon installation stops ( in the middle) with error message. 

if it worth saying i disabled my antivirus (kaspersky) and its self defense, and i am actually just installed a fresh copy of my vista.

when i check the services (under full account control) there is windows module installer ( but not windows installer) may be that is the right name for the windows installer in vista Plaese correct me if i am wrong.

I do need your help please because I do not have time for all the work in this laptop(dell inspiron 6400).

please let me know if you need more info.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 12:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Where do you get the installer? Is it from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=149156 ?

If it still doesn't work could you post the install log?

>cd %temp%

>SilverlightMSI.log

You can also run silverlight.exe /x:c:\temp /u to extract the files to c:\temp instead then run c:\temp\install.exe or silverlight.msi directly

Run: msiexec /i "silverlight.msi" /L*V "C:\temp\installLog.txt" you'll be able to get msi logs that may contain helpful information.

Monday, April 23, 2012 2:50 AM