none
How to debug an empty page collection

Question

• I've created a collection which worked with just 3 facets (all String). 

I then added 2 Number facets, 2 DateTime Facets and 2 more String facets.

After generating all the deepzoom stuff/csml etc etc the pivot seems to start, load the collection and then blanks the screen.

How can I determine what the Pivotviewer doesn't like? (I presume it is some kind of internal exception). 

It worked before with the same collection with less facets, so I'm guessing it doesn't have to do with the silverlight/webpage.

any thoughts? Or should I remove stuff until things start working again? I hope not since recalculating everything takes ages.  (big collection)

thanks!

Reinier

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here is the answer from the PivotViewer team.

“Description” is a reserved name and cannot be used by custom FacetCategories. If you wish to give an item a description, add a “Description” element to it, which will be displayed in the Detail Pane on the right when the view is zoomed in on the item.

Example:
        <Item Img="#0" Id="0" Href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/foo" Name="foo">
            <Description>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog</Description>
           <Facets>
          …
           </Facets>
        </Item>

Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:10 PM

All replies

• With static collections, anytime I recompile a new collection, I usually remove the current pivot files (cxml, dzc, etc) from the web project/server and reload the folders and files followed up with a Clean/Rebuild of the entire solution. Now if your testing this on a web server or have IIS running locally, download the Fiddler 2, web debugging tool http://www.getfiddler.com/dl/Fiddler2Setup.exe. Its a great tool for see what requests or responses go back and forth from the web browser and if they were successful or not (Im actually using it right now to solve a JIT collection issue) Laughing

Just in case this is missing from your web.config... make sure to stick it between your <system.webserver>

<system.webserver>
     <staticContent>
      <mimeMap fileExtension=".cxml" mimeType="text/xml" />
      <mimeMap fileExtension=".dzc" mimeType="text/xml" />
      <mimeMap fileExtension=".dzi" mimeType="text/xml" />
     </staticContent>
    </system.webserver>

Hope this helps you out!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:54 PM
  • I found the problem.

I have one facetcategory called 'Description' and apparently this is not allowed. Frown

I removed all Item entries from the CXML file and if I add this facet and item:

<FacetCategory Name="Descriptions" Type="String" p:IsFilterVisible="true" p:IsMetaDataVisible="true" p:IsWordWheelVisible="true" />
        </FacetCategories>
        <Items ImgBase="deepzoom_deepzoom\deepzoom.dzc">
            <Item Id="17" Name="Campaign: Funky Cops Generic" Img="#0" Href="http://www.mads.com">
                <Description>Funky Cops Generic</Description>
                <Facets>
                    <Facet Name="Advertiser">
                        <String Value="Overloaded" />
                    </Facet>
                    <Facet Name="Agency">
                        <String Value="MADS Media Netherlands" />
                    </Facet>
                    <Facet Name="Network">
                        <String Value="MADS network NL" />
                    </Facet>
                    <Facet Name="Status">
                        <String Value="Ended" />
                    </Facet>
                    <Facet Name="Descriptions">
                        <String Value="Ended" />
                    </Facet>

<FacetCategory Name="Description" Type="String" p:IsFilterVisible="true" p:IsMetaDataVisible="true" p:IsWordWheelVisible="true" />

<Facet Name="Description">

<String Value="Test" />

</Facet>

I get a blankscreen. If I rename 'Description' into 'Descriptions' or 'Desc' it works.

Is this a known issue, or should I issue a bug report on this?

Reinier

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:19 AM
  •    <FacetCategory Name="Description" Type="String" p:IsFilterVisible="true" p:IsMetaDataVisible="true" p:IsWordWheelVisible="true" />

<Facet Name="Description">

You set the same name with "<FacetCategory>" and "<Facet>". I think that's the problem.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 12:04 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

I'm not an expert by far but I belive that this is how it should work. The facet name is the name of the facet category it belongs to. See their 'hello world' example:  http://www.silverlight.net/learn/pivotviewer/collection-xml-schema/

If I rename 'Description' (both facetcategory and facetvalue) into something else (like 'summary' or 'desc') then it works

Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:03 AM
  • Hi,

I'm afraid I'm not quite familiar with PivotViewer, so I will try to report this issue to the PivotView team and hope they could give a answer whether it's a bug.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:56 AM
  • When you create a new pivot collection.... each item in the pivot collection has the following 4 fields that are standard before defining your Facets.

<Items ImgBase="YOURDEEPZOOM_deepzoom\FILE.dzc">
            <Item Id="0" Name="ITEM NAME" Img="#0" Href="ITEMLINK">
                <Description>ITEMDESCRIPTION</Description>
                <Facets>

My guess is that your Facet named Description is conflicting with this field... Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

Here is the answer from the PivotViewer team.

“Description” is a reserved name and cannot be used by custom FacetCategories. If you wish to give an item a description, add a “Description” element to it, which will be displayed in the Detail Pane on the right when the view is zoomed in on the item.

Example:
        <Item Img="#0" Id="0" Href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/foo" Name="foo">
            <Description>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog</Description>
           <Facets>
          …
           </Facets>
        </Item>

Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:10 PM
  • thank you for your help!

You might suggest to them to detect the error in either the control or the commandline tools. It now just silently fails.

In any case, problem solved,

thanks

Reinier

Friday, February 18, 2011 4:00 AM