none
Problems Switching To/From Full Screen Mode When Playing Netflix Videos

Question

• Good afternoon.

I've recently started streaming Netflix videos to my laptop computer and I'm encountering a problem when switching the display mode to/from full screen while viewing the video in Silverlight.

The specific problem is that when attempting to switch to full screen mode by clicking the full screen button in the lower right corner of the display while playing a Netflix video the entire web page goes black and the Netflix stream stops.  Sometimes, I'm able to successfully enter full screen mode by clicking on the full screen button in the lower right corner of the display while a Netflix video is playing.  However, attempting to return to the browser page display by pressing the Escape key or clicking on the button to return to the browser page display consistently causes the entire browser page to go black and the Netflix stream to cease.

I'm running Internet Explorer 8 (and no other browsers installed) and Microsoft Silverlight version 4.0.51204.0.

I've performed several searches both on Google as well as this Microsoft Silverlight forum with no results.

Thank you,

Lisa A. Compton

Monday, December 20, 2010 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you get the problem for all the videos or just specific ones?

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:38 AM
  • Good morning, Jerry.

Did you get the problem for all the videos or just specific ones?

The problem occurs for all videos that I've tried streaming to my laptop.  I neglected to mention that my laptop O/S is Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 applied.

Thank you,

Lisa A. Compton

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:20 AM
  • Hi,

Would you please post your xaml markups or codes?

Thursday, December 23, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Merry Christmas, Jerry.

Would you please post your xaml markups or codes?

Where do I find these?

Thank you,

Lisa A. Compton

Thursday, December 23, 2010 9:36 PM
  • Hi,

Which media player did you use to play these videos?

Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:58 PM
  • Jerry:

Which media player did you use to play these videos?

I'm guessing that would be Silverlight since Silverlight is required to play Netflix videos.

Thank you,

Lisa A. Compton

Friday, December 24, 2010 7:28 AM
  • Hi,

Of cource, I know that's a Silverlight player. I mean that where did you get that? Coding with yourself or that's provided from the Netflix company?

Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:17 PM
  • Good morning, Jerry.

Of cource, I know that's a Silverlight player. I mean that where did you get that? Coding with yourself or that's provided from the Netflix company?

I downloaded Silverlight from the Microsoft Silverlight website.  Netflix doesn't distribute Silverlight.  If a Netflix user's computer doesn't have Silverlight installed, Netflix's website will offer to redirect the Netflix user to the Microsoft Silverlight website in order to download and install Silverlight.

Thank you,

Lisa A. Compton

Monday, December 27, 2010 5:41 AM
  • I downloaded Silverlight from the Microsoft Silverlight website.  Netflix doesn't distribute Silverlight.

Hi,

You may misunderstand my question, I just want to know what's the relationship between Silverlight and the Netfix Videos.

Netflix's website will offer to redirect the Netflix user to the Microsoft Silverlight website in order to download and install Silverlight.

According to this line, I just know that the Netflix make their videos play based on Silverlight, simply they build their own Silverlight video player for Netflix videos, right?

If so, I think the key problem is how they build their Silverlight player. The best way to get some clues is ask help from the Netflix company.

http://www.netflix.com/ContactUs

Monday, December 27, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Good evening, Jerry.

I downloaded Silverlight from the Microsoft Silverlight website.  Netflix doesn't distribute Silverlight.

You may misunderstand my question, I just want to know what's the relationship between Silverlight and the Netfix Videos.

Other than Netflix uses Silverlight to play their videos, I have no information on the relationship between Netflix and Silverlight.

Netflix's website will offer to redirect the Netflix user to the Microsoft Silverlight website in order to download and install Silverlight.

According to this line, I just know that the Netflix make their videos play based on Silverlight, simply they build their own Silverlight video player for Netflix videos, right?

I don't believe Netflix builds their own Silverlight video player.  But, I wouldn't know that for certain.

If so, I think the key problem is how they build their Silverlight player. The best way to get some clues is ask help from the Netflix company.

http://www.netflix.com/ContactUs

That's funny. Netflix told me to contact Microsoft about a problem with Silverlight when I asked Netflix for help with this problem

Monday, December 27, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Hi,

So would you please give me a sample, which could help me to reproduce your issue?

Monday, December 27, 2010 11:46 PM
  • Good morning, Jerry.

So would you please give me a sample, which could help me to reproduce your issue?

Sure. What specifically would you like a sample of? The name of a movie to play on Netflix? Some files or other data from my computer?  What do you want?

Thank you,

Lisa A. Compton

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

Just the things which you make your netflix videos play.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Good evening, Jerry.

Just the things which you make your netflix videos play.

Okay. Where are they?

Thank you,

Lisa A. Compton

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Hi,

Would you tell me the steps how did you make your videos play?

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:21 PM
  • Jerry:

Would you tell me the steps how did you make your videos play?

I look up the movie or television show I want to watch on the Netflix website and click the play button next to the movie.   Silverlight loads and the movie begins playing inside of the player in the browser.

Thank you,

Lisa A. Compton

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Hi,

It is realy hard for me to reproduce the issue. When I register the site, I need to submit my card infomation.

Anyway, I could think out some possible reasons of your problem.

Firstly, most possibly, check about your graphics card and the version of the DirectX. You can change a computer with a better graphics card to test the problem.

Secondly, check about your OS version, try to run it on Windows 7 to check the problem again.

Also, try to uninstall the Silverlight on your system and install the newest one.

Try these possible reason and let me know your feedback.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:27 PM