none
AMD E-450 chip and netflix HD playing issue

General discussion

• Hello,

I have HP DM1Z laptop with AMD APU E450. It has dual core 1.65 GHz and AMD Radeon 6320 Graphics chip. I have installed siliverlight5 and latest .NET framework. Windows 7 home premium.

Netflix moveis play well for a minute and then CPU maxes out. Video gets choppy and video starts to lag behind the audio.

I have enabled the hardware accelaration on silverlight, playback tab. Is MS aware of this issue and working ona fix?

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 4:29 PM

All replies

• I would check and make sure you have the latest video driver install on your laptop.  Does the video get choppy if you do not show it in full screen?

Saturday, April 07, 2012 10:01 AM
  • I have the same issue. Latest drivers, earlier drivers, latest Silverlight, and it stutters with HD, badly. I can play Netflix HD on my Intel SU4100 + 4500MHD GPU no problem. I don't think it's using the GPU for video acceleration.

Monday, April 09, 2012 6:53 PM
  • I have the same issue but with a mini-ITX desktop version of the same processor/GPU. I get minimal jumps in SD but HD runs at about 1 FPS. I have latest AMD drivers. I've checked and it says video acceleration is enabled and in use. I am running 64bit win 7 ultimate and the enduser silverlight 5 64bit running in a 64 bit IE window. HD playback is worse at full screen.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Are you sure the hardware supports the video acceleration?  The checkbox will be there even if the the hardware does not support the video acceleration

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:19 AM
  • I have the exact same issue... My HTPC has no problems playing my ripped 1080p bluray movies and 1080p video/streams with flashplayer but when it comes to Silverlight I can't even play 720p content without having lots of stuttering.

And yeah, XBMC (which I use for my ripped-in movies) and flashplayer is using the hardware for video acceleration leaving my processor at 40-60% load while playing 1080p content. So I think it's safe to assume my hardware supports GPU acceleration. Silverlight HD simply use 10% GPU and 100% CPU and stutters.

I downloaded the newest driver for the GPU and the newest version of Silverlight yesterday. I even updated the chipset driver and BIOS, but it didn't help at all. Obviously the checkbox to enable hardware accelerating in Silverlight Configuration was checked the whole time.

I don't know why silverlight won't use GPU acceleration and I don't know who's fault that is but I think I can narrow it down to either Silverlight or AMD drivers. 

Edit: For reference, I am not alone with this problem. http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/667422/silverlight-5-doesnt-appear-to-do-hw-acceleration-of-netflix-content

Sunday, April 29, 2012 11:24 AM
  • Same issue herewith my AMD E-450 APU.  I've tried AMD Catalyst 12.4, 12.6, 12.7 drivers.  HWA was working for awhile, then after a reboot one day it stopped and I haven't been able to get it working again.  I've made sure the box is checked, uninstalled/rebooted/installed/rebooted.  Browser doesn't matter - Chrome, Firefox, and IE9 all have the same behavior. 

I've scoured the web and found plenty of other people with the same problem, so far no one has a conclusive fix.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:04 PM
  • I'm not sure what's going on but it works on my DM1 E-350 with Netflix HD.  Using the lastest ATI drivers, Silverlight 5, and firefox 14.01.  CPU does not max out and as far as I can tell, no dropped frames at all with Netflix now.  Never thought I'd see the day. 

Using Silverlight 5.1.10411.0  HW acceleration is on.

Monday, July 23, 2012 11:10 PM
  • My Acer Aspire Revo (AMD E-450, AMD Radeon HD 6320) also struggles to play 1080p and 720p content. In the UK we have LoveFilm Instant which also uses Silverlight for streaming video content like Netflix.

With hardware acceleration enabled or disabled, it doesn't make any difference, the CPU is under 100% utilisation. I guess this means the hardware acceleration setting is not being honoured. I've had a dig into the HTLM used to display the Silverlight control, and it appears to be missing the <param name="EnableGPUAcceleration" value="true" /> parameter. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee309563(v=vs.95).aspx).

Developers aren't stupid, I expect the developers behind Netflix and Lovefilm haven't enabled this for a reason. Maybe Silverlight has bugs in supporting this parameter.

Monday, August 20, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Developers aren't stupid, I expect the developers behind Netflix and Lovefilm haven't enabled this for a reason. Maybe Silverlight has bugs in supporting this parameter.

blog

anything maybe and its a pitty... =(

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:51 PM