none
InitializeError- Invalid or malformed application: Check manifest

Question

• Anyone ever seenthis before?  Everything was fine and then I added one of those control skins and now I get this error.  I have taken the skin files out and I still get it.  I have looked at the appmanifest.xml and there is not a lot in there and nothing that would suggest I am missing anything.

Help.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:28 PM

Answers

• Well I am not sure what caused that issue.  I checked inside the .zap file and it was fine and all the items were present.  I had to restore an old copy of the entire project and update the xaml and .vb files and everything works now.  I have come across a lot of strange things since I switched to version 2.0.  Here are some of them:

1.  If you try to insert a custom control in the XAML using VS 2008 it will not recognize it.  Says it does nto exist.  I always have to go to Blend and add it there then when I go back to VS it is fine and I can add it normally.

2.  Visibility does strange things.  I swear that when I set a custom controls visibility to true it makes it invisible and when I set it to false it is visible.  Now I am using VB.Net.  Not sure if it is wrong just there.

3.  I have a lot of trouble with the files behind the scenses updating.  Files like the .Reference.vb do not alway get updated and I have to just go in and delete a function save it compile and re-add it for things to get updated in those behind the scenes files.

Just a few items.  I am not sure it it is only in the vb.net environment as I amy be the only one doing vb.net but this version seems to have a lot more problems than the last one.  But, I still love it. :)

Thursday, March 13, 2008 7:56 AM

All replies

• That error typically occurs when there's a problem loading the application type or its pre-requisite assemblies. My money is on the latter, given your description above. Here's a tip: look in your ClientBin folder for the .xap file. Rename the file extension to .zip, then open it. If this fails, then your xap is corrupt. If this works, then extract the AppManifest.xaml file. Open the manifest in an editor and inspect the contents -- specifically look for the AssemblyPart entries. Are all those assemblies in your xap? If not, that's your problem. 

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:59 PM
  • Well I am not sure what caused that issue.  I checked inside the .zap file and it was fine and all the items were present.  I had to restore an old copy of the entire project and update the xaml and .vb files and everything works now.  I have come across a lot of strange things since I switched to version 2.0.  Here are some of them:

1.  If you try to insert a custom control in the XAML using VS 2008 it will not recognize it.  Says it does nto exist.  I always have to go to Blend and add it there then when I go back to VS it is fine and I can add it normally.

2.  Visibility does strange things.  I swear that when I set a custom controls visibility to true it makes it invisible and when I set it to false it is visible.  Now I am using VB.Net.  Not sure if it is wrong just there.

3.  I have a lot of trouble with the files behind the scenses updating.  Files like the .Reference.vb do not alway get updated and I have to just go in and delete a function save it compile and re-add it for things to get updated in those behind the scenes files.

Just a few items.  I am not sure it it is only in the vb.net environment as I amy be the only one doing vb.net but this version seems to have a lot more problems than the last one.  But, I still love it. :)

Thursday, March 13, 2008 7:56 AM
  • Can you provide a simple project that reproduces these problems? Perhaps put it on Sky Drive and respond with the URL, and we'll take a look.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:40 PM
  • In my case this Message occours when you use special german letters like in Tür.dll because this file is called T++r.dll in xbap. The manifest can handle these letters but the xbap container cannot.

Monday, April 14, 2008 5:50 AM
  • Yes this is a known bug in Silverlight 2 Beta 1 (and is documented in the slightly non-discoverable readme doc) where the xap is unable to handle non-ASCII chars in constituent file names. To temporarily workaround, you can use ASCII chars.

Monday, April 14, 2008 8:57 AM
  •  hi,

i m getting same error and i try all of the solution but not success.

please help me to find solution as soon as possible.

regards,

tatva86 

Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:23 AM
  • As the linked readme doc in my post above notes, the workaround for now is to use ASCII chars only in your file names. There is no other solution for Beta 1.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:03 AM
  • hello,

i have checked all file names and code also but i still getting same error. please tell me solution.

and browsing on server it is perfect nut when i open application from other pc it will give same error.

Thanking you

tatva86

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:35 AM
  • Use the steps listed above to check your AppManifest.xaml file.  Specifically, look at the EntryPointType attribute or the root Deployment element.  Does the type name listed there match your actual application class?  If not, change the value in your project's properties page.

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:03 PM
  • In human-readable words, this is what fixed it for me: 1. Open the properties of your project. 2. On the first page, open the drop down list of "Startup object". 3. Select the page your project starts with. In my case, changing the name of the namespace broke the startup object.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:55 PM
  • In human-readable words, this is what fixed it for me: 1. Open the properties of your project. 2. On the first page, open the drop down list of "Startup object". 3. Select the page your project starts with. In my case, changing the name of the namespace broke the startup object.

Just to confirm, for anyone reading through this entire thread, that this was also what worked for me.  The startup object for my silverlight project had mysteriously been unset. 

Monday, June 16, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Tim,

Thanks very much for this - I had the wrong startup object in my Silverlight shell application having renamed some code manually previously.

Following the suggestions in this thread re. looking at the manifest helped me to solve it.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Monday, June 08, 2009 1:20 AM
  •  This error is way too generic. I was getting the error and assuming something was wrong with the Xap package. However, when I attached the Silverlight package to the debugger, I got this error message:

Invalid attribute value HorizontalScrollBarVisibility for property Property. [Line: 31 Position: 30]

It turned out to be a problem with a Style. Nothing to do with the Xap package at all.

Monday, August 10, 2009 2:03 AM
  • Yeah, Kruddler, same for me. Your post made me remember changes I made to a style. For me, it was this one single line:

<Color x:Key="BaseDarkColor" R="191" G="89" B="48" A="100" />

I removed it and all is working now...   Are color's not valid entries in a resource dictionary?

Thanks,
    Roger

Saturday, September 26, 2009 3:22 AM
  • Kruddler, can you elaborate: "attached the Silverlight package to the debugger".

Thanks,
    Roger

Saturday, September 26, 2009 3:23 AM
  • Hi guys,

I'm having this error and you're advice helped with the "malformed" errors but also caused more issues...

I turned on generation of the manifest file. Firstly I was surprised to see that the file gets generated inside AND outside the app. Secondly there were no problems with the manifest. Thirdly the Silverlight app would now load.
    The downside is that the app is part of a much bigger project acting as a web based portal into what is essentially a desktop app. The deployment project (also in VS2008) simply will not package the Silverlight app when a manifest file is being generated claiming it cannot be found. Remove the manifest generation and the deployment project works but the app naturally fails again.

Any guidance or tips here other than scrapping the Silverlight app?
    Thanks
    Monday, November 23, 2009 11:51 AM

Just to confirm, for anyone reading through this entire thread, that this was also what worked for me.  The startup object for my silverlight project had mysteriously been unset. 

Same, that was the fix. I had changed the default namespace and was fixing existing classes and that caused the startup object to become invalid.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:37 PM
  •  I have hit the same exact problem with Silverlight 3 and Blend. I deleted the last 2 color gradients i have added to the resource file and the error is gone!

Thank you guys for your previous replies!

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 1:23 PM
  •  Thanks, It is working.

In My application EntryType attribute has different value in AppManifest.xaml other than my actual silverlight dll after I changed in project properties, I can able to debug my silverlight application.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:05 AM
  • This worked for me too.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:51 PM
  • This was my problem.  I had renamed my solution, project files, and namespaces and this error started popping up.  After checking the AppManifest.xaml it turned out that the EntryPointType was wrong.  Fixed it in the project properties of my Silverlight project and everything worked like a charm.
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:24 AM
  • 3. Select the page your project starts with. In my case, changing the name of the namespace broke the startup object.

Thanks Wiltschek for that last item. I also changed the namespace of the startup object (App.xaml class). It was difficult to see that the startup object was incorrect because the old object name was still selected, incorrectly. But as soon as I clicked on the drop down box, there were only two options, "(not set)" and the App class with the new namespace. Thanks for discovering this solution!

Ryan D. Kyle | Tech Blog | @ryandkyle

Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:52 PM
    • "Does the type name listed there match your actual application class?  If not, change the value in your project's properties page."

It did it for me !

Beware when you rename !

thank you

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:18 PM
  • yes that solves it. thanks for sharing!

Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:37 AM
  • This error came to me out of the blue. I didn't change anything. I was doing localization, then it happened, It solved by

Properties for silverlightapp solution

check Generate Silverlight Manifest File checkbox

It was already checked on my problem, so i unchecked it build the solution it failed, then checked it again then it worked fine.

Weird huh o.o

Saturday, June 09, 2012 10:08 AM