none
Silverlight 5 doesn't work in Safari 5 / AppleWebKit browser

Question

• After updating Silverlight 4 to 5-th version, all the silverlight applications refused to start in Safari 5 and Apple WebKit browsers.

I tried to create new Silverlight 5 empty project and debug it, but even Application constructor not fired - the debugger cannot find silverlight plugin started in browser.

The problem is mass - we reproduced it on many computers with different OSes (win7 x32/x64, winXP).

Can anyone help with this problem?

With best regards,

Dmitry

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Dmitry,

we reproduced it on many computers with different OSes (win7 x32/x64, winXP).

As you can see on this Silverlight 5 compatibility chart Safari is only supported on Mac OS. It says there is no explicit support for that browser on any of the Windows platforms, which means the usual applies: things may work (as in SL4), but if they don't you'll most likely won't receive support and have to find a way around the problems yourself, or drop support for that browser.

Friday, December 16, 2011 3:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Dmitry,

we reproduced it on many computers with different OSes (win7 x32/x64, winXP).

As you can see on this Silverlight 5 compatibility chart Safari is only supported on Mac OS. It says there is no explicit support for that browser on any of the Windows platforms, which means the usual applies: things may work (as in SL4), but if they don't you'll most likely won't receive support and have to find a way around the problems yourself, or drop support for that browser.

Friday, December 16, 2011 3:52 AM
  • In previous silverlight version, safari support was not introduced for Mac OSWindows too. But despite this, silverlight 4 plugin worked in safari fine.

In fact, we didn't even pay attention to this limitation because all worked correct.

Friday, December 16, 2011 4:30 AM
  • In previous silverlight version, safari support was not introduced for Mac OS too

Silverlight 4 did officially support Safari on Mac OS, as listed here.

Regarding Safari on Windows, like I said above: "things may work (as in SL4)", but if they don't there's no support. Apparently compatibility for Safari on Windows was much better in SL4.

Friday, December 16, 2011 4:43 AM
  • Sorry, I mistake. Of course, safari on Windows.

Friday, December 16, 2011 4:48 AM
  • I am facing same issue on Safari/Mac, OS X Lion. When accessing HTMLPage.Window from Silverlight, webkit crashes. I am hosting my silverlight application in a container app through the webkit. It used to work fine in SL-4 plugin.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:26 AM