none
Unable to open SL4 projects after installing SL5

Question

• After installing SL5 on my dev machine, I am no loger able to open previous versions of projects built in SL4 or earlier. Message says I need most recent Developer runtime and directs me to and downloads the toolset, but of course I cannot install the toolset because it says a 64bit version is already installed. So - why direct me to install something that is already installed? I've seen other posts of this issue but only fix is uninstall VS (multiple times) and reinstall, applying SP, then tools.

Is there any fix that does not involve reinstalling VS?

Thursday, February 09, 2012 12:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

did you install Silverlight 5 Tools for Visual Studio ? if not then install from below link

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=229318 

and try to reapply Silverlight 5 Developer Tools Runtime.

or Try to remove all Silverlight 5 Installation from Control Panel and reapply Silverlight 4 Tools.

Regards

Nishi

Thursday, February 09, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

You must install completely SL5 tools to start a project using Silverlight. You can still start project on SL4 if you have installed SL5. Make sure that you have administrator user to do the installation. Actually install Silverlight is straight forward. In normal situation no need to uninstall the previous version or reinstall the latest version.

Keep trying my friend. 

Thursday, February 09, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, if you want to install SL5, there is no need to uninstall Siverlight4. Thus, please make sure that you don't uninstall Silverlight 4 Develper runtime or Silverlight 4 tools at first. Then please check whether you have installes Silverlight 5 as follows:
    1. Silverlight 5 SDK
    2. Silverlight Runtime
    3. Silverlight Developer Runtime
    4. Silverlight 5 Toolkit

Best wishes,

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

did you install Silverlight 5 Tools for Visual Studio ? if not then install from below link

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=229318 

and try to reapply Silverlight 5 Developer Tools Runtime.

or Try to remove all Silverlight 5 Installation from Control Panel and reapply Silverlight 4 Tools.

Regards

Nishi

Thursday, February 09, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

You must install completely SL5 tools to start a project using Silverlight. You can still start project on SL4 if you have installed SL5. Make sure that you have administrator user to do the installation. Actually install Silverlight is straight forward. In normal situation no need to uninstall the previous version or reinstall the latest version.

Keep trying my friend. 

Thursday, February 09, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, if you want to install SL5, there is no need to uninstall Siverlight4. Thus, please make sure that you don't uninstall Silverlight 4 Develper runtime or Silverlight 4 tools at first. Then please check whether you have installes Silverlight 5 as follows:
    1. Silverlight 5 SDK
    2. Silverlight Runtime
    3. Silverlight Developer Runtime
    4. Silverlight 5 Toolkit

Best wishes,

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:56 AM