none
Internet Explorer and Firefox crash when trying to view Netflix online videos. Silverlight Plug-in crash is the error message

Question

• Operating System:Windows VistaVersion:Internet Explorer 8

You cannot vote on your own post
    When trying to view Netflix online streaming videos after the video quality has run and around the buffering time Internet Explorer comes up with the message "Inernet Explorer has stopped working" and then closes down. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and problem still persists. I've called Netflix support and they said it wasnt their problem and gave me Microsofts number. Ive also ran a check of all my plugins and add ons. everything is up to date and seems to be working well. Also when using Firefox on netflix it comes in with a "Silverlight plug-in crashed"  I've also uninstalled and re installed silverlight and Firefox, Adobe, Adobe Shockwave, Adobe reader.. not sure whatelse to do. after a problem check this is what comes up

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
    Application Name:    iexplore.exe
    Application Version:    8.0.6001.18999
    Application Timestamp:    4ccf92fb
    Fault Module Name:    agcore.dll
    Fault Module Version:    4.0.51204.0
    Fault Module Timestamp:    4cf9edc8
    Exception Code:    c0000005
    Exception Offset:    0050e8b5
    OS Version:    6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.2
    Locale ID:    1033
    Additional Information 1:    fd00
    Additional Information 2:    ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
    Additional Information 3:    fd00
    Additional Information 4:    ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

not sure how else to fix this.

Sunday, February 06, 2011 1:46 PM

All replies

• I'll work with you off-thread on this - I"ll send you a PM with contact details.

- Tom

Tom Taylor    |    Microsoft Silverlight

Monday, February 07, 2011 8:27 PM
  • This issue basically ruined my night's sleep because I was so pissed off I couldn't watch Netflix.  Something in the patch Tuesday lineup from Feb 8, 2011 did something that caused Silverlight to stop working for me on every browser (chrome, IE, FF) I have installed.  I uninstalled and reinstalled over and over. I cleaned out the registry, I did everything obvious I could think of.  I followed online advice -- I even tried to look for Silverlight 3 to install (never did find it).  The ONLY browser that gave me any sort of clue was Chrome, which said it failed to find the agcore.dll .  About ready to give up, I remembered that there is a gaping security hole in dll loading in windows that was closeable by manually entering a reg key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
    "CWDIllegalInDllSearch"=dword:0xffffff

This is what I had set many months ago to secure my system against WebDAV, SMB and other malicious types of DLL loads from unauthorized paths.  Now keep in mind, Silverlight has been working JUST FINE until tonight with that setting.  I loosened the restriction by changing the key to :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
    "CWDIllegalInDllSearch"=dword:1

And Silverlight loaded up immediately....

What the hell did you do Microsoft?  Thanks for making security such a breeze for us windows users.

I hope this helps someone avoid some hair pulling.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Thank you. It's nice to know im not alone. I can get into the system reg. editor but really have not clue where to go from there. I dont want to start goofing around with stuff and cause some serious damage. If you would kindly give me a little guidance on where to go from the Session Manager folder in the reg. editor that would be GREAT! Thank you again.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 5:37 PM
  • If you never set it manually, then this is probably NOT your issue.

But if you want to try it anyway.  The registry is really very simple.  The left side is basically a tree branch view of the path structure.  Just navigate through it.  You should quickly see that the folder names correspond to each part of the path in the registry key.  Start with HKEY LOCAL MACHINE. Click it to expand it. Find System. Click that.  Current Control Set. Control. Session Manager.

Now with Session Manager as the selected "hive", look to the right side at the various keys and their values.  This is all just simple key/value pairs.  Look for one called CWDIllegalInDLLSearch.  Do you see it? If so, and the value is 0xFFFFFFFF, then that's the thing to change for sure.  Change it to a simple 1 and close the registry (there is no save).  If the key value pair does not exist on your system, and considering I had to manually create mine, it probably shouldn't, you could TRY To create it and set it to 1.

Right Click somehwere in the blank space on the right panel.  You should get a menu pop up that says New. Select DWORD.  32 bit is fine if you have option for both 32 and 64 bit.  Change the name to CWDIllegalInDLLSearch. Now just double click on it and set the value to 1 (Decimal).  That's it. Then close the registry.

Understand what this is doing though.  This is a workaround to a major security issue in Windows that is unclosable without major backwards compatibility issues. Read all about it here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2264107

If this is not your problem, I feel for you.  Try to install Chrome and see if you get any better error messages when silverlight crashes.  I am a firefox user, but it was Chrome that led me down the right path to fix my problems.  I wish you the best of luck.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 8:55 PM
  • welp, no go. Thank you for the info. Would there be any reason or problem if i went back in and deleted the CWDIllegalInDllSearch pair that i created? If its not going to hurt anything i'll just leave it. I'll try downloading Chrome to see what happens. Im also a FireFox user.  thanks again.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Yeah I had the feeling your issue was something else. You can definitely delete the registry key, however, it is making your system more secure in preventing DLL hijacking attempts that could be used to compromise your machine. It's your call of course. Leaving it in could cause problems for poorly written software. Of course the right solution is for said software to be properly written, but this is the windows environment we're talking about.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:29 AM
  • Incidentally, your error code says you have an ACCESS VIOLATION. You should try to produce a debugger dump file and inspect it for clues as to what is faulting. This might help: http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-2000/40538-what-causes-exception-code-c0000005-access_violation.html It may not tell you more than what you already know though.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:36 AM
  • I did install Google Chrome and crash cause a error message the same as FF... "Silverlight plugin crash"   then a :( face.. but, im about ready to give up.. just delete my netflix streaming and accept defeat.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Hi,

Try doing this:

1. Open Internet Explorer

2. Click "Tools"

3. Click "Internet Options"

4. Click the "Advanced" tab

5. Click "Reset"

It is possible that your computer has been infected by a virus that might have caused Internet Explorer to stop working correctly.

1. Download and install Reimage
    2. Run Reimage to remove all infections and fix corrupted files.
    3. For fixing your Internet Explorer, click on the link provided below:

1. http://www.windowsexplorerhasstoppedworking.com/
    2. Follow the instructions provided there.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 7:22 AM
  • There is one easy way to reproduce this problem in any browser.

Install Window's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (aka EMET GUI) and crank up the settings.

I use this because I'm a developer... and it stops most zero day exploits. The fact that Silverlight crashes consistently using Netflix with this security tool points to a potential exploit somewhere around this DLL.

It's been there for years, too.

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
      Application Name:	chrome.exe
      Application Version:	19.0.1084.15
      Application Timestamp:	4f7d2528
      Fault Module Name:	agcore.dll
      Fault Module Version:	4.1.10111.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:	4f0e119c
      Exception Code:	c0000005
      Exception Offset:	0051133a
      OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID:	1033
      Additional Information 1:	0a9e
      Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3:	0a9e
      Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I'm going to install Silverlight Developer 64bit (version 5) and see if the problem is fixed.

Friday, April 20, 2012 10:37 PM
  • I've also started having this problem since June 4th, 2012. In either Google Chrome or Internet Explorer (64 bit) whenever I try to load something on Netflix.ca, it loads to 4% then hangs - shortly after I get a popup telling me that Silverlight has crashed.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 10:37 AM
  • *bump*

Monday, June 18, 2012 2:38 PM