Silverlight 3 Wish List

Question

•  It is a bit early but still I guess it will help marging all the dream features in one place. Also Silverlight team might find it useful what community wants.

Here are mine

1. Creation of Image from an Silverlight object dynamically.

2. Integration of Photosynth with Silverlight. (It uses some collections like DeepZoom. So it might be possible to show Photosynth inside Silverlight)

3. Native 3D support. (Also a complete Kit3D will help)

4. Clipboard support. (I agree it is a bit risky but you can do it from JavaScript (in IE) or from Flash anyway so why not directly)

Please add yours so we get everything in one place

Friday, October 31, 2008 1:30 AM

All replies

• 1. Text render can be more clearly.  (It's a major problem to block me to use silverlight2)
    2. silverlight can work offline and interactive with other desktop application
    3. silverlight can work under Android. (not just like a brower plug-in, but rumtime or framework...)

Friday, October 31, 2008 1:36 AM
  •  

2. silverlight can work offline and interactive with other desktop application

This might be a security concern. You already have WPF for these type of applications.

Friday, October 31, 2008 1:42 AM
  • 1. UDP support

2. Peer to peer socket communication support

Friday, October 31, 2008 2:00 AM
  • Hi Tanmoy,

well....

1. WPF is too big and that works for window only. (It doesn't work under window 2000 client, neither)
    2. WPF also has the same issue as silverlight in "Text Display" (blurry).....In PDC2008, Microsoft says it will be improved in future version...

I have seem a keynote that silverlight is going to run out of brower.....
    I am waiting for more information about it...

Friday, October 31, 2008 2:13 AM
  • Hello,

My additions:

1. A solution to save files on the user machine, see http://silverlight.net/forums/t/40910.aspx.
    2. A solution to create/preview XPS files.
    3. Automatic mouse wheel support for list-box, data grid, combo-box, scroll viewer, ... And mouse wheel messages for other controls.

Patrick

Friday, October 31, 2008 2:19 AM

• 1. WPF is too big and that works for window only. (It doesn't work under window 2000 client, neither).

Agree. Also a wish Moonlight project really copes with latest Silverlight release as soon as possible

2. WPF also has the same issue as silverlight in "Text Display" (blurry).....In PDC2008, Microsoft says it will be improved in future version...
    Agree

I have seem a keynote that silverlight is going to run out of brower.....
    I am waiting for more information about it...

That would be great. The security concern is only if it runs from browser. Otherwise It should not be any problem.

Friday, October 31, 2008 2:20 AM
  • (1) SaveFileDialog

(2) Direct bitmap manipulation

(3) printing support

(4) SIMD...  apparently the Moonlight guys were saying MS may support this?  Note that Flash 10 has support for this in their "Pixel Bender" technology which can be used not only in image processing but also other applications (such as audio processing).

Friday, October 31, 2008 2:33 AM
  • 1. Allow creation of export formats from Canvas/XAML to for example PNG, XPS..

Currently this must be done using a webservice which will transform xaml using WPF, but

(a) this is not supported by MS because WPF is a client-technology and not tested to run on a server..

(b) .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 has a bug which will throw an exception if you were to try this (https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=361469)

2. Make it possible to download these exportfiles by some sort of SaveFileDialog..

3. Hardware accelerated 2D drawing.. (look at the demopage from the Silverlight 2 control toolkit.. wrappanel is very slow indeed)

* I really think MS should better put their efforts on 2d first, rather than going too soon to 3d.. 3d without acceleration would have litte use, especially when more things are done with it, rather than a silly rotating cube..

4. Text-rendering quality and performance.. Jaggy rendering must be fixed (maybe in a SP1 release?) and text-animations are really slow compared to Flash (http://www.shinedraw.com/text-effect/flash-vs-silverlight-spiral-text/)

5. Fix important-bugs like 'Layout-cycle detected' & 'Value does not fall in the expected range' & full browser crashes on silverlight crashes

6. Better mouse support: Right mouse button support! (and not the hacky way), Scrollwheel support (and not the hacky way), and a static method to always retrieve the mouse position...

7.. Well, Parallel-Linq? :P

Friday, October 31, 2008 4:31 AM
  • 1. webcam and mic support

2. a "Window dialog" control, a "inputbox" control like the exist "MessageBox" control.

BTW: will SL3 be realsed with vs2010?

Friday, October 31, 2008 8:50 PM
    1. Non-blurry text. It is quite distracting to read text in Silverlight application, since it's all blurry. The problem is rooted down to WPF, more specifically in the way it renders text to favor positioning accuracy over legibility.
    2. Bitmap drawing and rendering, so that we can develop face recognition, OCR, photo editing, button generator, logo generator, and other drawing-related software.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 11:23 PM
  • 1) Maybe I am missing something, but there is no full-fledged HTML host and browser control in Silverlight 2. Of course there are some custom controls provided by third-party vendors which use tricky way by overlaying div control over Silverlight in main html page. I understand that there is a cross domain violation in embedding browser control inside SL2, but there is no reason for preserving this security restriction, once javascript can easily access any domain.

2) A standard framework mechanism for acquiring assemblies on-demand from client's computer and storing them in IsolatedStorage. Also automated version matching between assemblies hosted on a server and assemblies stored on a client side

3) More clear architectural view of Master Pages like in ASP.NET.

4) Make it possible to reference external resources in XAML. So we can reference the Styles and user controls directly within XAML without a need for on-demand downloader. And while running Silverlight application, the XAML parser should automatically download the references and cache them locally. For styles, the traditional HTML/CSS relationship would be good, so we can declare the Styles in special external ResourceDictionary file and easily reference it in App.xaml or in some specific XAML file. We can do this using DynamicResources tag in WPF.

I think the major things that Silverlight developers have to consider is the fundamental needs of Silverlight programmers. Most of us are now facing this kind of issues mentioned above, so the Silverlight development team has to react on these things rapidly.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 12:35 AM
  • desmond, I heard it from a SL team member that they are considering to implement the Silverlight GAC (your number 2) in the upcoming version.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 2:24 AM
  • 1. Text render can be more clearly.  (It's a major problem to block me to use silverlight2)

I agree with this and I would like to mention few more.

1) Path animations(Convert to motion path which works only for WPF)

2) Mouse wheel support(atleast for some basic controls.)

3) Save File Dialog

4) Bulleted list, Paragraphs, Glow effects and Shadow effects.

Apart from this one of the major problem is "Upgrade to latest version of Silverlight".

We are facing lot of problems to uninstall the existing tools and installing new.

I hope Sliverlight team will consider these.

Regards,

Rams.

Monday, November 03, 2008 2:42 AM
  • 1. ModalDialog like wpf/winform (not trick as a transparent canvas)

2. More official controls

3 3D support

4 SaveFileDialog (surely, it is a ModalDialog, but MS maybe doesn't want this)

5 better blend support (blend generates canvas and path, which is not simply re-useable)

Monday, November 03, 2008 4:06 AM
  • Many wishes are there....

But I like to see there.

1.Direct DataBase support.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 9:06 AM
  •     1.Direct DataBase support.   

That would be difficult as Silverlight  actually is a client side technology. Still Database access methods can be made easy. See this article for more detail.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 5:41 AM
  • Well, I sure hope they won't do that!!

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 6:42 AM
  • One wish list I have for Silverlight is to provide more sample tutorials, codes, end to end applications which can be used in the real world.  Not just some simple examples like Hello World.. etc.  These kind of samples are already too vague for softwares which are being implied as easier to build but in reality, is more complex.

You may notice that I am a beginner in SL development but I do understand some concepts.  I wish I could get my hands on a sample tutorial that would give you some real experience developing a real world application = invoice, car tracker entry, scheduling, etc..  That would be just great.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:10 AM
  • Monday, November 17, 2008 4:26 AM
    • Real Authentication (not only Basic Auth).
    • Solid and rich controls (Combobox working, solid DataGrid, including paging).
    Monday, November 17, 2008 7:43 AM
  • extremely necessary:

WSHttpBinding (Session support)

GZipStream

DataGrid - EnableRowVirtualization="True" AND ScrollViewer.IsDeferredScrollingEnabled="True"

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:01 AM
  • BitmapEffect supporting will be great for every one.

importance of bitmapeffect

who doesn`t like it?

and of course i wish there will be a "silverlight player" that makes our sl applications able to run at desktop and release us from browser`s limitation.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:04 AM
  • Amen to WSHttpBinding

Style inheritance, support for BasedOn in styles (implying Dynamic Resources of Resource Dictionaries according to link)

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:11 PM
    • Fix Text Rendering - Maxim Shemanarev clearly demonstrates how this can (and should) be done in his Texts Rasterization Exposures article. The text is not overly blurry while still maintaining spacing regardless of display. Sub-pixel rendering for LCD displays results in standard anti-aliasing for CRT displays. Allow users to tune their font rendering from the Silverlight configuration menu (and even revert to gray-scale anti-aliasing for rotated tablet displays). Font rendering issues are clearly understood -- there is no excuse for poor font rendering, even when trying to render to the "lowest common denominator".
    • Allow Users to Save Files To Local Drive - Currently the only way a user can save a Silverlight-generated file is to send the file back to the server and download it to the client. Many developers need a more direct way of doing this - it may be appropriate to first save the file to isolated storagage. Then prompt the user as to where the file should be saved locally (outside of isolated storage), and give them all the information available for the file - file size, file type (if it can be determined), and any appropriate warnings. This would be a secure Silverlight dialog that cannot be altered by developers - I don't see any difference (security-wise) between this and a web-page prompting the user to save a file from a web server.
    • Print Support - Print support beyond the simple "Print page" browser function.
    • Bitmap Manipulation - Provide access to the BitmapImage's stream (we can currently set it, but we can't read it) - this would give developers the ability to do image processing on URL-fetched images and either save them to isolated storage or send them back to a server. This also implies some minimum set of image-processing routines - at least provide the ability to draw XAML elements to a bitmap rather than just to the screen.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:05 PM
    • Fix Text Rendering - Maxim Shemanarev clearly demonstrates how this can (and should) be done in his Texts Rasterization Exposures article. The text is not overly blurry while still maintaining spacing regardless of display. Sub-pixel rendering for LCD displays results in standard anti-aliasing for CRT displays. Allow users to tune their font rendering from the Silverlight configuration menu (and even revert to gray-scale anti-aliasing for rotated tablet displays). Font rendering issues are clearly understood -- there is no excuse for poor font rendering, even when trying to render to the "lowest common denominator".
    • Allow Users to Save Files To Local Drive - Currently the only way a user can save a Silverlight-generated file is to send the file back to the server and download it to the client. Many developers need a more direct way of doing this - it may be appropriate to first save the file to isolated storagage. Then prompt the user as to where the file should be saved locally (outside of isolated storage), and give them all the information available for the file - file size, file type (if it can be determined), and any appropriate warnings. This would be a secure Silverlight dialog that cannot be altered by developers - I don't see any difference (security-wise) between this and a web-page prompting the user to save a file from a web server.
    • Print Support - Print support beyond the simple "Print page" browser function.
    • Bitmap Manipulation - Provide access to the BitmapImage's stream (we can currently set it, but we can't read it) - this would give developers the ability to do image processing on URL-fetched images and either save them to isolated storage or send them back to a server. This also implies some minimum set of image-processing routines - at least provide the ability to draw XAML elements to a bitmap rather than just to the screen.

Ditto

Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:38 PM
  • GPU support for graphics

Enhance isolated storage performance

Interconvertibility from WPF to Silverlight

Ability to porcess images

Ability to control max & min threads in a thread pool.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:45 PM
  • Many people mantioned PRINTING, so I will just add:

• XAML-to-PDF converter - based on the ser ver is fine as lonf as I can download a PDF based on XAML image created on the fly from database info.
    • 'Print Screen' to - let's say - EPS, PDF, Bitmap, etc...
    Friday, December 12, 2008 1:49 PM
  • Math.Round() to support MidpointRounding.AwayFromZero

Friday, December 12, 2008 7:15 PM
  • How about:

1. Rich Text Control
    2. A FAST lightweight DataGrid

My needs are simple...

Monday, December 15, 2008 12:14 AM
  • Validation Controls.

-Vinit 

Monday, December 15, 2008 2:26 AM
  • I'd just like it to work, consistently and cleanly on every install instead of having to reinstall for weeks on end to find out that 2 weeks after you get it running installing some codec or plugin for IE then breaks it randomly for no reason since the 2 aren't even related.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 6:59 PM
  • Synchronous Web Service Calls with Silverlight 2

Monday, December 15, 2008 9:16 PM
  • I wish to add to the wishlist

-full duplex audio recoding-processing-playing

-I agree with webcam support

-a good image processing library

but, in my opinion,  a strategy to increase the number of SL installations remains  the main question.

Thank you...

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:25 AM
  • Synchronous Web Service Calls with Silverlight 2

Why would you want this? you like locking the gui thread? I will admit that allowing sync calls from a background thread would be a nice touch, but I’m glad they aren’t allowed from the UI thread.

More on this. see Peter Bromberg's post...

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 7:22 AM
  • GIF and TIFF support.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:31 PM
  • I could well live without GIF support...

Lack of GIF support. Most folks moved away from GIF when the whole unisys patent lawsuit came out. The alternative offered was PNG, an open format that supports a lot more than what GIF ever could (with the exception of animation, but the web has far too many animated GIFs as it is). When Microsoft was slow to support alpha channel PNGs, everyone complained (me included) that they ignored the new standard in favor of some outdated. Now that Microsoft has a technology that supports PNGs rather than GIFs, there are complaints there too. Yuck. Give up your 256 color GIFs or use a server-side proxy to convert them to PNGs if you must.  I guess if you’re just displaying images from other sites, this could be an issue for you, but I haven’t run into that myself.

source: Pete Brown

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 3:42 AM
  • 1. Silverlight offline - this was the first thing a customer asked me for when I showed them what I could do for them with Silverlight.  They will be running the app on both desktops and mobile devices (netbooks, cellphones).  When they are on a mobile device, they may not always be able to get an internet connection.

2. Printing - preferable to pdf

3. Sillverlight plug-in for Windows Mobile 6.1

Friday, December 19, 2008 5:18 PM
  • Regarding Photosynth, it exists over at http://photosynth.net/silverlight.  Check it out.  Smile  It's not release quality yet but pretty good nonetheless.  (FWIW, it happens to be powered by Kit3D)

Friday, December 19, 2008 6:52 PM
  •  Hi bartczernicki,

Thanks for the links to the articles...those are really cool.

Rams.

Sunday, December 21, 2008 5:59 AM
  • I only have one wish to contribute, but it's a big one:  image tiling support already in WPF. 

Right now I'm forced to align 100+ images to create the impression of a tiled landscape, or worse yet, bloat the file size with a huge bitmap. The stretch option is obviously out. Native tiling support would be a huge win.

Sunday, December 21, 2008 12:13 PM
  • Dynamic Data and Field Templates

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:40 AM
  • Great data on this thread and the feedback is appreciated.  Note that I've aggregated this data in a blog post.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:21 PM
  • Nice work, Joe. Wouldn't it be cool to have some sort of voting mechanism, ala Codeplex?
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 9:34 PM
  • Typed DataTemplates (ie <DataTemplate DataType=""/>), and commanding built in.

MVVM isn't as smooth without these.

-Jer

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1:41 AM
  • 1. Bi-directional text 2. Bitmap APIs 3. Rich Text Support
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1:56 AM
  • Great data on this thread and the feedback is appreciated.  Note that I've aggregated this data in a blog post.

Joe, including this thread in the count might bump up the printing request a bit... Smile I think its by far the most wished for feature...

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 2:57 AM
  • Multicast video support would be very nice

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 6:17 AM
  • We're mainly building SOA LOB-apps - these are some of the more important things I'd like to see in SL3 when using it to build business-oriented, administrative apps:

- Load On Demand/Split XAP-file: apps tend to grow big, and it looks like an absolute must to be able to load a part of the app when the user starts using it instead of having to download everything at the beginning.  I guess you'd call this modular design/loading.

- Clear, more readable text

- Native support for deep linking.  At the moment, I always have to implement this myself, and while this isn't too hard it would be nice to have this kind of functionality supported out-of-the-box.

- Bitmapeffects would be nice

Friday, December 26, 2008 4:33 AM
  • ---> Full-Fledged 3D Support (3D Design Engine in Expression Blend for both Silverlight and WPF)
    ---> Hardware Acceleration
    ---> Inline <hyperlink/> element
    ---> Some sort of CMS for Silverlight
    ---> Navigation tree and/or navigation dropdown menu control

Friday, December 26, 2008 10:07 AM
  • Cleaner xml support would be a big plus, as in ...

with .net data services it would be cool to be able to say "hierarchically databind to the following url http://mydomain.com/myservice/customers/"

This would allow things like a customer list that would have embedded orders as dynamically nested grids or grids that could be drilled in to but also the ability to really show off the toolkit treeview control with virtually no C#.

I'm trying to build a cms using silverlight components at the moment greenboi, but to have a cms write silverlight application elements is near impossible since it would likely result in realtime recompilation of silverlight "xap" files (not a wise thing to do on a live server).

Having said that some form of neat blend like xaml cms could be interesting :)

Monday, January 05, 2009 5:08 AM
  • Hi,

it would be nice antialiasing on image resizing.

Thank you.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 10:24 AM
  •  - Load On Demand/Split XAP-file: apps tend to grow big, and it looks like an absolute must to be able to load a part of the app when the user starts using it instead of having to download everything at the beginning.  I guess you'd call this modular design/loading.

The Load-on-demand part of your request is already available to us in Silverlight 2.  What doesn't yet exist is the Unload-on-demand piece, which I would like to see as well.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 10:35 AM
  • I want Silverlight 3 to fix the economy.
    Wednesday, January 07, 2009 11:26 AM
  • Since you'r keeping a tallied list I want to put my votes in for:

1. Rendering any XAML to an image

2. Printing

3. Bitmap support for (size, brightness, saturation grayscale, etc...)

4. XamlWriter

5. Savefile dialog

6. Audio input (to record audio)

7. Video input (to record video)

8. Better compatibility with WPF

9. Run outside of browser on Windows, Mac and Linux

10. Full keyboard control in full screen mode

11. Export to PDF

12. Email support

Thanks

Tom

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 11:54 AM
  • One more...

Support for displaying on mobile devices

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 1:25 PM
  •  How about mousewheel support for controls like listbox?

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 9:23 PM
  •  From a design perspective:

- Better effects, i.e. Gaussian blur, motion blur

- Drop Shadow option for controls with offset. 

- Better integration between Blend and VS (when I edit in Blend, don't restructure my XAML for VS)

- Templateable control builder tool i.e. I want to build my own custom templatable control, Currently the only way to do this is generate the XAML in Blend, copy the code to a generic.xaml file.  Then I have to go in and create the class file, expose the dependecy properties in generic.xaml and the .cs file.  It seems that this could process could be significantly improved with some type of builder tool/exporter/convert. 

VS Perspective

- Access to properties on storyboards for templatable controls

- Tighter integration to the Design window for XAML (I think this is already part of VS2010)

- Better Databinding Interface, maybe something like an ADO.Net Binding Source

- Ability to turn a SB in XAML to a Class or Method in .Net.  Rather than create the same storyboard that may provide the same effect for controls it would be nice to be able to create it once, convert it to a class and access the storyboard programattically.

- Storyboard TimeElapsed property.  - How much of my storyboard has passed. This makes calling other storyboards partway through the execution of another storyboard easier.  or even better yet, add storyboard markers similar to what is currently in the MediaElement.

- Default/Templatable MediaElement Interface.

- Overloaded method on Storyboard.Begin(), StoryboardBegin(TimeSpan StartDelay)  

- Ability to include storyboards in one storyboard or create a new object StoryboardExecuter. See the chainer project (http://blog.webjak.net/2008/11/01/silverlight-animation-builder-and-chainer/)

- Ability to set state in the XAML.

- Printing

- PDF support Reading PDF

-  Ability to house a window inside of a silverlight control

- TRUE integration with REST (i.e. POST/PUT/GET)

This is just a few i can think of.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:52 AM
  • -Richer data binding like in WPF... binding to other control's properties

-Routed events

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:11 PM
  • The ability to define colors as static resources which can then be bound to brushes within the generic.xaml and subsequently to the controls properties allowing for easy themeing

Bevel and Emboss

Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:56 AM
  • Critical Bug Fixes: -- Fix IE6/7 web services bug (requiring pragma:no-cache, expires:-1 on server side for all web service calls) -- Fix font size invalidation bugs with TextBlock (changing font size at root level updates font sizes of elements that inherit that font size, but they don't invalidate their measurement so layout is not updated) -- Fix Blend so that it can resolve staticresource references to App.xaml in the designer. (usercontrol references static resource, usercontrol is reused in another usercontrol, blend throws exception on design surface) Important Features: -- Make it easier to centrally share resources of all kinds in silverlight libraries, not just silverlight applications -- TEXT LAYOUT!! We should be to much more easily lay out paragraphs, ordered/unordered lists, and especially inline hyperlinks. Basic HTML text support would fix this (p, a, br, ul, ol would go a long way). It would be nice to go beyond HTML with text and do things like columnar layouts that can flow text into columns, etc. -- Styles with selectors -- instead of just tying a style to a control's Type, how about using lambdas or some other way to select the particular controls to apply a style to? Being able to "push" styles to controls instead of always making a static reference to a style would also help. Note that ImplicitStyleManager still enforces one style to one type. -- Clipboard support (subject to user preference I suppose). Users want to copy/paste. -- Either a desktop runtime OR full WPF compatibility. You choose; I just want to be able to run an installed version -- not for offline use, but because some applications do need to access devices and other local resources. -- PRINTING!! People need to print out charts and graphs and reports, etc. Enough said.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:54 PM
  •  1. Better text rendering

2. wsHttpBinding, netTcpBinding, wsDualHttpBinding support

3. Localization

4. Validation controls

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:57 AM
  • For the MultiScaleImage control. Defining the tileImageLayerSources reading files from the Isolated Storage.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:27 AM
  •  A silverlight desktop mobile runtime on Windows mobile could help to boost silverlight on mobile to a great extent (creating a rich user interface on mobile ploatforms is not easy).

Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:12 AM
  • Silverlight will have a mobile runtime.  Furthermore, look out for the Azure client on Windows 7 (kind od like an iPhone App Store, but in Silverlight) to be out later this year.  Its going to be probably the best all in one desktop/web/mobile framework powered by .NET

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:18 PM
  • I would ask for a richer design time support in Visual Studio for developers like drag and drop and property window must show all custom attached properties
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Hello,

we also really need an Unloaded event on FrameworkElement. This will enable to properly remove the event handlers from a control.

Patrick

Saturday, January 31, 2009 11:29 AM
  • Automatic mouse wheel support for list-box, data grid, combo-box, scroll viewer, ... And mouse wheel messages for other controls.

Um..  YEP!  It is like going back into the dark ages without mouse wheel support integration throughout Silverlight.  While there are things I would like to see, this may seem silly to some, but this is HIGH an my want's list!

Saturday, January 31, 2009 1:47 PM
  • 1. 3D graphic support 2. PRINTING support 3. Other "simple" stuff that being used most of the time by the user in todays application which are not covered yet... like mouse wheel support, right click, etc Cheers
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 12:46 AM
  • 1.)  Edit and Continue would be nice Angry

Monday, February 02, 2009 5:58 PM
  • In order to really use silverlight to build business applications were going to need to support wsHttpBinding / netTcpBinding

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 10:04 PM
  • 1.  Printing Support

2.  Printing Support

3.  Printing Support

Oh, and Printing Support would be nice too...

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 2:18 AM
  • Microphone support.
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 3:05 AM
  • - Microphone support
    - Webcam-support
    - Printing
    - A Hyperlink-Element deriving from Inline that can be used inside a TextBlock (like WPF has)
    - 3D (we already know :-))
    - AccelerationRatio/DeccelerationRatio for Animations would make it easier to animate "by hand". Would be a nice feature, but accelerate or decelerate would be also ok with a SplineAnimation

Thomas

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 9:16 AM
  • 3D and webcam support

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 10:03 AM
  • @dsoltesz,

"In order to really use silverlight to build business applications were going to need to support wsHttpBinding / netTcpBinding"

That statement is not true.  Why do you need those two bindings?  Can you tell me what they offer for an LOB app that is critical you cannot do?  Silverlight 3 will include a business rule framework and it is based on ADO.NET Data Services which have nothing to with those two bindings.  I think Silverlight can improve on the WCF support and support WCF Faults (would be much bigger addition thant those two bindings)

@Webcam/Mike,

You can do that with Flash/Silverlight integration over the JavaScript bridge.   Essentially you have a Silverlight application and you can hide a mini Flash app and invoke it wtih JavaScript (i.e. http://www.techcrunchit.com/2009/02/03/tringme-finds-a-way-to-make-voip-calls-from-microsoft-silverlight/#comments

TO all...

Silverlight 3 is already LOCKED DOWN feature-wise. Silverlight 3 Beta 1 will be available at MIX '09 and Microsoft has the alpha Silverlight 3 bits out to their partners out already.  Scott Guthrie already hinted at the new features they commited to and what really excites me is that he (and other Silverlight guys at MS like Jesse Liberty) claim that this will be a HUGE release.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 10:17 AM
  • - Multitouch support would be great

- reduce size of System.Xml.Serialization.dll (150 ko for serialisation seems to me a lot). I had to write my own serialization so the user do not have to load this big package.

- Simplify calls from serveur to Client (when the socket is still opened)

- Allow to use Zip compressed web services

Around Silverlight, bring special controls for payment or identification (Windows live authentification usercontrol)

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:57 PM
    1. Improved text rendering quality.
    2. Rich Text TextBox.
    3. Native mousewheel support.

Thanks

Graham Moore - Retouch Genie

Thursday, February 12, 2009 3:37 PM
  • I would like to request:

DataMemberPath for the ComboBox. 

I have been trying to get a dynamically populated, from a wcf webservice, combobox in a templateColumn of a datagrid working for the past 8 hours.  It would be much easier if I could set the Item source of the Combobox to my class and then set display and data members and be done with it.

A wider variety of Mobile devices:

Blackberry Storm, Iphone....  I think this is a Pipe dream.

Pat

Friday, February 13, 2009 2:21 PM
  • My biggest wish list for silverlight is more advanced tutorials like asp.net mvc iron ruby

jquery integration

wpf and silverlight work together-better integration(I like oop capabilities in wpf!!!)

The other  BIG  ITEM is SQL  2008 SP1  WORKING ON SQL REPORTING  SERVICES-SILVERLIGHT INTEGRATION.

I prefer not to buy a third party product......

That is why I posted a work around (silverlight sql reporting services on another site, I am very disappointed

sql 2008 could have at least put up a temporary product that could have  worked  with silverlight!!! That was just for silverlight developers

and I do like there is seperation of client side etc . It makes the database more secure,

I do like microsoft has guide lines for sql......

anything that helps things more secure is usually a good thing    

Friday, February 13, 2009 2:55 PM
  • It's perhaps not viable, but something that I'm amazed doesn't seem to bother people is the lack of support for pre-SSE CPUs. Even if the performance of Silverlight is slower on non-SSE processors, it would still be nice if simple non-intensive apps could still be used.

Don't get me wrong, I love developing in Silverlight, but I often don't because I know that a significant proportion of users can't even install Silverlight on their machine because it's too old. Don't underestimate the number of old machines out there! They all run Flash apps with no problem! For me I consider this THE biggest downpoint of Silverlight bar none.

Friday, February 13, 2009 7:19 PM
  • Silverlight on MVC!!!! PLEASE!!!! Big Smile

Friday, February 13, 2009 10:32 PM
  • 3D Shaders Support!!! GPU hardware acceleration!!! I want Vertex Shader, Pixel Shader and Geometry Shader support in Silverlight 3! And these can be coded in HLSL!

Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:24 AM
  • Oh yeah, it would also be nice to see Silverlight lead the pack and get a 64-bit version out the door!!!  Tied of having to switch to the 32 bit browse just to run Silverlight!  Surely, it is not that hard to get a version out...

With 64 bit version of Firefox out, maybe it is time to rethink not having a 64 Silverlight..

Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:05 AM
  • Since you'r keeping a tallied list I want to put my votes in for:

1. Rendering any XAML to an image

2. Printing

3. Bitmap support for (size, brightness, saturation grayscale, etc...)

4. XamlWriter

5. Savefile dialog

6. Audio input (to record audio)

7. Video input (to record video)

8. Better compatibility with WPF

9. Run outside of browser on Windows, Mac and Linux

10. Full keyboard control in full screen mode

11. Export to PDF

12. Email support

Thanks

Tom

Agree

In sort Printing support.

I addition Graphich g support like Java

Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:58 AM
  •  Add Speech Syntheses and Recognition to Silverlight 3!Big Smile

Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:12 PM
  •  Correct my if I am wrong, but BasicHttpBinding is not transaction aware.   That is a HUGE deal for business apps and I really wouldn't design a business app for it without supporting transactions.  We will need WSHttpBinding support at least.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 2:40 AM
  • Yea I want email support... maybe even pop3! that would be sweet

Sunday, February 15, 2009 2:52 PM
  • 1. Currently we can only bind to INotifyPropertyChanged implementations as datacontexts. For some reason, the DependencyObject approach doesn't work properly (though it does in WPF).

http://silverlight.net/forums/t/69022.aspx

2. Webcam, microphone please.

3. 64bit...though I doubt it'll happen.

4. Shaders and 3d...which I believe are happening.

5. Install silverlight as part f windows update. Why isn't this being done at present?

Monday, March 02, 2009 11:18 PM
    1. Better debug support. No more generalized and cryptic error messages. Debugging silverlight is PAINFULL !
    2. Support for triggers in XAML and style setting in code
    3. Right click support, double click support, mouse wheel support (I've heard the arguments 'But you can't use that on the web'...OK, so you won't but I and many others will ;)
    4. Printing
    5. Text rendering improved
    6. Forget all the new fancy additions, just get it solid !
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 6:35 PM
  • Hire Dan, then add "Dan support for silvelright 3"

www.vectorlight.net

He's done the following ...

• Built a rich set of controls that he gives away for free
    • added things like drag and drop to his controls
    • added right click context menus to controls that are dynamically programmable
    • Built a CMS based on the controls and proven that it works

This is the sort of thing Silverlight can'tdo without before any additional flashy bolt-ons

Thursday, March 05, 2009 5:30 AM
  • * Mouse Wheel support
    * Mouse Right Button support
    * 3D
    * Trigger support
    * support EventTrigger for all routed events, not just Load (in current version) and remove VisualStateManager with VisualStates, return to, how it is in WPF!
    * Effect and BitmapEffect support
    * replace Silverlight's animation mechanism with WPF's one ( like: myBtn.BeginAnimation(...) )
    * PageNavigation with NavigationService, like in WPF (Frame, Page classes and so on)
    * support for System.Windows.Controls in SplashScreens, not only subset of Silverlight 1.0
    * Zip compress/decompress support
    * PLinq, Linq to XML
    * deeper integration with ASP.NET Web Forms, for example, that silverlight app could fire Button_Click event for page on Server, and
    could, for example, replace a form in aspx page.
    * support for other image formats, not only PNG and JPG, but also GIF, TIFF and other
    * support for other video formats, not only WMV
    * VisualBrush support
    Friday, March 06, 2009 9:40 AM
  • Desperate for Audio playback rate/speed/pitch control for Media Element

Regards

Marc.

Sunday, March 08, 2009 10:49 PM
  • 1. Mouse wheel support for List box, ScrollViewer, and such controls

2. An Enumerator for the ResourceDictionary for KEYS

3. Named Style support for Themes.

4. Animation for MARGIN

Monday, March 09, 2009 1:11 AM
  • Oracle database connectivty - would be VERY nice.

DataGrid with Grouping capability

Printing

I realize this stuff is available 3rd party, but where I work, 3rd party tools aren't an option (state government)

Converting a gargantuan Oracle database that 3000 developers all use to SQL isn't an option either LOL

Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:47 AM
  •  

1. native support for RTL languages , pleaseeeeeeee Smile
    2. more powerful data binding and databinding events
    3. data source controls based on the standard data exposing technologies for example REST data source and WCF data source
    4. host control that doesn't require script manager (just renders the object tag)
    5. easier way to use non system fonts
    6. composite and more advanced animation controls, just like silverlight.fx here (i think adding silverlight.fx itself to silverlight 3 is a gr8 idea)
    Friday, March 13, 2009 5:15 PM
    • Definitely better error messaging, especially when parsing XAML fails
    • Better support for MVVM design pattern like WPF has (improved binding/command structure, etc.)
    • Better text rendering (especially small fonts)
    • Native menu control like WPF
    • Dynamic Resources like WPF
    • Built-in controls like labels, dock panels, etc., without relying on third-party or open-source solutions
    • Larger support of image/video formats
    Friday, March 13, 2009 6:01 PM
  • 1. Improved text rendering is essential. 2. Full 3D support, I kind of expected this from the start. 3. More customization of the controls through inheritance i.e. the TextBlock is a sealed class. 4. Direct access to the clipboard (essential for the kind of apps Silverlight is targeted at). 5. The popup control really needs to be fixed so you can nest any control inside. 6. External drag and drop (to/from the desktop) would be nice.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Hello Friends,

We have the Silverlight 3 Beta 1 available now.Refer this.

Download from here 

-Vinit

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:11 AM
  •  its bit early......... But belives it will makes works good.

Friday, March 20, 2009 2:43 AM
  • WSHttpBinding!!!!

Friday, March 20, 2009 12:06 PM
  • 1. Enable/Disable Image caching (and/or making it more context-aware: the problem I've encountered is when using the same image in different places (XAML's or so) the first appeariance of the image is determining it's size and later on it doesn't change though it should; it's a potential improvement for SL2 probably).

2.  Assembly aliasing support in XAML namespaces definitions (this could go to WPF too). (this came from a project where I've tried to use the same code in SL and WPF and came to the VisualStateManager declared in WPF as xmlns:vsm="clr-namespace:System.Windows;assembly=WPFToolkit" and xmlns:vsm="clr-namespace:System.Windows;assembly=System.Windows" in SL. Aliasing would solve the problem.)

Monday, March 23, 2009 6:10 PM
  • I would like to have the following things in upcoming silverlight 3:

1. Dataset
    2. Modal dialog / Messagebox
    3. File open/save dialog.
    4. File uploader control.

-Thanks,
    Saikat.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:17 AM
  • Full Midi Implimentation.

Low latency on MediaStreamSource.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:43 AM
  • I agree. Rich text editor or HTML formatting support.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:07 AM
  • 1) Edit and Continue

2) Edit and Continue

3) Edit and Continue

Friday, March 27, 2009 1:08 PM
  • I'm merely missing some basic things that our users constantly pester us about but where we have to tell them "sorry but that's a Silverlight limitation":
    1. Palette based PNG support. PNG32 is just not very efficient and many of our users already invested heavily in PNG8.
    2. Mouse wheel support (the JS hack doesn't work in full screen, offline install or with DOM access disabled).
    3. A better printing story (The bitmap API helps a bit on this, but is still an ugly story).

Anything else is just icing on the cake, but let's get the cake right first. When looking at a lot of the other suggestions here, these are mostly nice to haves that can be accomplished already, but are just not available out of the box.
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 1:34 AM
  • Here is mine wish list:

1) <Style TagetType="Button">  and all button should use that style.. easy to use themeing, will be similar to ASP.Net Skin files.

2) WebClient and WebRequest should support Basic Authentication to make OOB feature so great..

3) Chrome - OOB shows a normal Windows around the app, make it possible to remove it.

4) Make sure we can add Menu Items to the "configuration/Install context menu". so we can use context menu within Silverlight

5) Want the Scroller wheel on the mouse to work out of the box

6) I like to add rounded corners to some controls, and to do that I need to use Clip, I think I would like to have two properties added to the UIElement, which can be used to put rounded corner on each element, without using clip.. not so important.

7) Add a feature like the Silverlight.FX to make sure we can use a ViewModel/Presentation Model out of the box. Here is an example how I have done it:

http://weblogs.asp.net/fredriknormen/archive/2009/02/24/how-the-presentation-model-could-look-like-when-using-silverlight-2-0-part-4.aspx

http://weblogs.asp.net/fredriknormen/archive/2009/02/25/how-the-presentation-model-could-look-like-when-using-silverlight-2-0-part-5.aspx

I like the Silverlight.FX, Caliburn and my way to support different patterns, I'm not a fan to the ICommand approched..

Saturday, March 28, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Just to provide some information, the question about 'is it possible to have OOB without the chrome (i.e. the title bar, control box, etc.)' was asked to Mike Harsh at his MIX '09 session. The response was 'security'. Without the chrome, it becomes possible to create an application that mimics windows that request credentials and MS didn't want to expose that possibility. Don't know if this concern will lessen in the future, just passing along a small tidbit.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 8:29 AM
  • Save an Image.

Print  an Image.

3D

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:52 AM
  • For improve the download time: Lazy load for resources (images, videos, xml, and other),
    Session manager with the server.

Remoting Devil

Silverlight for MVC, Big Smile

Friday, April 03, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Expand Linq Support, like join, contains and other complex scenarios. Linq with WCF is very limited.

Sunday, April 05, 2009 10:44 AM
  • I would like the ability to override the IsEnabled property even if it has been set on a parent control. See this thread for more information:
    http://silverlight.net/forums/t/87899.aspx

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 7:43 AM
  • 1. Mouse scroll wheel support
    2. Right click support
    3. Better styling support (to be able to skin e.i all buttons without having to specify a key, like ISM implemented in the toolkit)

Friday, April 10, 2009 7:06 AM
  •  new silverlight site is coming

www.silverlightcomplete.co.cc

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:30 AM
  • Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:14 AM
  • Has anyone tallied how many of these requests have made it into the Silverlight 3 beta?

Tim

Monday, April 27, 2009 2:28 AM
  •  Hi,

I have put a review of what we finally got in Silverlight 3. You can check it here.

Friday, May 01, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Sometimes we need synchronous Web Service calls. There are patterns with samples already out there where you can make this possible but providing this feature out of the box will be really helpful.
    Friday, May 01, 2009 5:18 PM
  • I needed that for my Silverlight application as well and ended up using XmlHttprequest via the JavaScript DOM
    Friday, May 01, 2009 5:28 PM
  • A simple thing not added to SL2... Grid control with real lines separator (not having to play with chunky borders and rectangles drawing on each cell).

Friday, May 01, 2009 8:28 PM
  • TextTrimming

Saturday, May 02, 2009 7:12 AM
  • Here's an ambitious one: a toolkit server.

Offer more more more controls (ListView! Please!) as separate downloads on the Silverlight server. Either allow the runtime or the webhost to automatically download the assemblies from the Silverlight server as necessary.

That way the runtime can be kept small, the feature set can grow indefinitely without having to upgrade the runtime, and Microsoft wouldn't have an excuse not to implement more features!

Oh, and please stop cheaping out on crucial features like triggers and template selectors.

Sunday, May 03, 2009 4:40 PM
  • webcam support
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 6:40 AM
  • Silvelright 3 Wisht List.... Silverlight 2 Service Pack 1 !!!

Soon Moonlight (SL 2 for Linux) will be released, and if we want to have our app's running on both Windows and Linux O.S. they will have to run under version 2... What about fixing all current well know bugs on version 2?

Saturday, May 09, 2009 3:18 PM
  • The majority of my experience with Silverlight is through Netflix, which upgraded to Silverlight recently.  One MAJOR!!!! glitch involves dual screen monitor setups.  After using Netflix for years now I can't watch full screen on one monitor while working on the other.  When I full screen the Netflix video and then click on the other monitor the Netflix video exits out of full screen mode.  I contacted Netflix and they indicate this is a Silverlight issue that it will hopefully be fixed.  Please fix this issue!!!  The sooner the better.  This is a big disappointment.

Saturday, May 09, 2009 8:35 PM
  • I can see how Silverlight is important with two monitors especially for viewing videos. However, far from a MAJOR issue. How many users have two monitors? I bet it is less than one percent!
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 10:48 PM
  • I can see how Silverlight is important with two monitors especially for viewing videos.  However, far from a MAJOR issue.  How many users have two monitors?  I bet it is less than one percent!

I beg to differ. Power users of all sorts (developers, administrators, bloggers) are the users that matter when you're trying to popularize a platform, and a very high number of those users do use multiple monitors.

Marketing with only Joe User in mind is the mistake that Microsoft always makes when they ship new products. What always ends up happening is that basic users are initially happy with the product/marketing, but journalists, bloggers and developers end up feeling insulted by being dismissed as minority, and they go on to exaggerate their complaints in ways that basic users understand.

So yes, please fix this problem for Silverlight 3.

Saturday, May 09, 2009 11:07 PM
  • Features:

- Print
    - Export DataGrid to excel; need a machanism to do download without making a call to the server.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Hey,

About export to Excel.

SL 3 has a save as file dialog, that's good, the bad part... you will need to use some light Excel generation technique (XMLSS, CSV).

I haven't seen Excel OpenXML SDK in SL.

cheers

Braulio

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:52 AM
  • I want to see BUILT IN support for Vorbis, FLAC, Theora, and Dirac. MAYBE Speex and the others too. But at the very least, I want to see Vorbis and Theora built in support into Silverlight 3. Also, I want to see built in APNG support!
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 2:43 PM
  • A licensing technology allowing licensing a silverlight dll. For instance, allowing the dll to "phone" to a web site to validate a license key.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:49 AM
  • 1. Clipboard support with image.

2. Full 3D support

3. Printing Support.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:53 PM
  • 1. Full Obfuscation Support: to protect our intellectual property
    2. Full Printing Support: Preview, Printer Setup...
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:50 PM
  • I want to view a sentence from top to botton in TextBlock, like Japanese news paper.

http://images.google.co.jp/images?hl=ja&lr=lang_ja&um=1&sa=1&q=Japanese+news+paper&aq=f&oq=

Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:18 AM
  • I want to view a sentence from top to botton in TextBlock, like Japanese news paper.

http://images.google.co.jp/images?hl=ja&lr=lang_ja&um=1&sa=1&q=Japanese+news+paper&aq=f&oq=

I strongly second this one. As a Japanese person myself I can guarantee that this would no doubt be the killer feature for the Japanese audience.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:33 AM
  • The one and most important feature I miss is right-click. Can you imagine any decent application without a context menu? I cannot. Without it, I end up (in a DataGrid) with lots of button columns which I have grown to detest.

Or else (having cell phones in mind) a way to detect a long click or push (say more than 500 ms); that would be the new way to get a context menu. But it should work anywhere, including a ListBox and a DataGrid.

I also miss being able to copy text from anywhere on the screen into the clipboard. And I sure miss having hyperlinked formatted text like we have in HTML (LinkLabel helps, but does not support basic text formatting.)

Friday, May 22, 2009 10:46 AM

I strongly second this one. As a Japanese person myself I can guarantee that this would no doubt be the killer feature for the Japanese audience.

Maybe this is something for you:

http://blogs.msdn.com/delay/archive/2008/06/19/text-from-a-slightly-different-perspective-verticaltextblock-control-sample-for-silverlight-2.aspx

Saturday, May 23, 2009 8:52 AM
  • I'd love to see a masked text box and time support on the date picker
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 1:46 PM
  •  Support of keyboard in full screen mode.

Monday, June 01, 2009 5:59 AM
  • Support for adorners

Monday, June 01, 2009 11:01 AM
  • Printing, please!!!

Monday, June 01, 2009 11:08 AM
  •  1) fix the databinding error: http://silverlight.net/forums/t/35136.aspx

2) printing

3) combobox selectedvalue property

Monday, July 06, 2009 3:28 AM
  •  add to transformation object using we can do drag and drop and re size

add to word art like Microsoft word

add to default text editor

glow color 

media player in defalut to catching buffering process

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 3:37 AM
  • Here's another idea,
    I do a lot with PowerPoint as a teacher.  What I'd like is to be able to export
    my PowerPoints into a Siliverlight movie, audio, animations, everything and
    have it be able to create a Table of Contents for the movie as a export from PowerPoint
    or Import into Siliverlight. Hey its MS PowerPoint and Silverlight should be able
    to talk to one another.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 8:06 AM
  • One more,
    My son, a VS 2008 programmer told me he wouldn't use Siliverlight for his wife's
    Photography slideshow because Silverlight is on less than 1/2 the machines out there.
    Why not embed the Silverlight player in IE or in Win 7 itself so the player availability
    issue goes away (need to have it on 98% of all machines, under 50% just doesn't cut it).

Saturday, July 11, 2009 8:09 AM
  • Hi Ted,

Forcing Silverlight with win7 might create some legal issues so its not clear if Microsoft will do that. Still as a very new technology it will take a little to get into a very high percentage of user base.

Currently according to RIA Statistics it is there in around 30% of machines and it is constantly growing as more and more web sites started using Silverlight.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:41 AM
  •  They used to say the same thing about Flash - now nearly everyone has it installed.  Eventually MS will put it into an automatic update, so it won't be an issue anyway.  This may not be the case with your son, but so far it's been my experience among my co-workers that those who claim that Silverlight isn't widespread enough to target are those who don't want to take the time to learn the technology.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:48 AM
  • RS232 Serial communication, usb communication and paralel port communication support.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 11:06 AM
  • They mentioned in the keynote their goal is to have 50% of the machine use Silverlight in 6-9 months.  By the end of the year growing from 30% (now) to 40-45% would not be out of the question.  Adobe is a one trick pony here and simply does not have the services Microsoft has to offer.  Silverlight on the XBOX. Silverlight on the cloud.  Silverlight on Windows Mobile.  Silverlight in SharePoint.  Adobe has to rely on partners to provide additional services....and you can see how great that goes when they tried to get Flash on the iPhone.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 4:31 PM
  • There are mosquitos everywhere in the world; doesn't mean anyone has any use for them. The number of machines on which Silverlight is installed doesn't attest to anything, really. The installation procedure is quick and easy enough that I don't think it really affects its adoption in any meaningful way.

Silverlight on "XBox" "Windows Mobile" "SharePoint" -- keep in mind these are all Microsoft technologies and account for only a small portion of the market, and in particular niches. Adobe not having Flash on the iPhone isn't that big of a deal when you consider the fact that most everyone wants Flash on their phones, and a lot of non-iPhone phone owners across a myriad of hardware vendors do indeed have it.

Ultimately there just isn't enough demand for Silverlight regardless of how many machines it's installed on. Most people refuse to even look at anything web-related coming from Microsoft. The people who do look at it generally don't see why it's valuable. The people who do see why it's valuable often go into denial about the fact that it is. That leaves very few of us.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:05 PM
  • And your point is exactly what?

I would be happy with Microsoft shipping the SL runtime with IE in order to avoid unexpected situations...

Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:12 PM
  • I made two points, one addressed to bartczernicki and one to ted7. 

My point in reply to bart is that it won't be as easy for Silverlight to topple or take much share from Adobe as he (we) would like to think.

My point in reply to ted7 is that I doubt that the lack of adoption is any reason not to use it, because as I mentioned, 1. it's very easy to install, and 2. adoption rate just isn't a very meaningful number to begin with.

Additionally, my point in regards to having Silverlight in IE is, well, it would be somewhat convenient, but even if it doesn't cause any lawsuits, it's going to give people an excuse to call Silverlight unethical. Again. And that can't be good for adoption in the long run.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:30 PM
  • You are very misinformed if you think those millions of users of those Microsoft services "don't matter".  XBOX is the 2nd biggest gaming platform console..I wouldn't say the community is small.  SharePoint is Microsoft's fastest product to reach 1 billion in revenue...I wouldn't say that is small and all those users at work that will get Silverlight as part of SharePoint 2010 and browse the web counts for a lot.  Windows Mobile is not a big deal? (25+ million of licenses) have been sold (not counting this year) so far...it is a pretty big deal when they add Silverlight support.  Windows 7?

I agree one or two are niches...once u start adding all of this up...its a little more than Silverlight being a niche player.  Other than the 97% market penetration its not like Adobe's product is 10x better than Silverlight.  Flash is on version 10 and Silverlight on version 3 and they are pretty much equal feature-wise. Flash has some things (printing) that Silvelight doesn't.  Silverlight has some things too (multithreading) that Flash doesn't.

Microsoft is making a big push to put Silverlight as a UI on a lot of its services.  Adobe has already played that card with their graphic suite/media server integration.  Adobe just doesn't have the product horizontal and vertical to match it.  To say its not a big deal is a joke...look what they did to Java with .NET?  Netscape?

Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:47 PM
  • First before this turns into a flame war I want to remind you that we're on the same side. I'm simply not as optimistic as you are. But since the original topic of this thread is no longer quite relevant, let's keep debating.

The long version of the story:

Yes, Silverlight is clearly better than Flash probably in nearly every respect. But there are tons and tons of high-profile products out there that are invariably better than what they were designed to compete against, and they never have and never will take much of their market share. Zune is an example, Xbox (not Xbox 360) is another. If you take into consideration other multi-billion dollar industries, for instance the auto industry, it simply doesn't hold true that the product with the most marketing and/or the best features necessarily wins out in the end.

Yes, quite obviously, there are cases where superior products and enormous financial backing do win the day -- .NET is clearly one of those examples. But if you want to bring up the browser wars, you can bring up Opera vs. Firefox: most people during the Firefox 2 days used Firefox mostly because "it's safer" and because "it's more standards compliant", but in both respects, Opera was superior, and if I remember correctly, Opera at the time had much more money to spend than Mozilla (Mozilla is in fact a corporation with an astroturf facade, by the way). Where's Opera now? They're sitting there crying sour grapes and suing Microsoft.

Sure, Xbox is big. But does your average gamer use their console to browse websites or run thin-client applications? No, they use their PCs for that. Most moderately technical users (which are the users that matter, because those are the ones that go around blogging and yapping the most) will notice if something uses Silverlight, either because it asks them to install it (and they keep hitting "no") or because they can right click on it.

Sure, SharePoint is fast growing. But that's only a monetary number; I'm a developer and I hardly know what SharePoint is. Does that make me uninformed? No, it just means that SharePoint is highly profitable per-customer. It's still not an ubiquitous market by any stretch.

The short version:

Tacking on niches does add up, but only one at a time. It's all linear growth. For every n dollars Microsoft spends on selling Silverlight, Silverlight gains n users market share. And keep in mind, these are all Microsoft's customers; only sometimes are they our customers as well. Wouldn't you much prefer if we could tell our customers and peers to use Silverlight?

For that to happen, we don't need for Silverlight to be installed everywhere, we need for Silverlight to be respected and trusted by developers the way Flash is. Then market growth will be exponential. Then we can convince our bosses to let us do things in Silverlight.

Think about it: the time it takes to install Silverlight is less than the time it takes to watch a YouTube video or the time it takes to refresh this particularly heavy forum thread. Why else then would anyone have any reason not to install Silverlight?

It doesn't matter how many clients have Silverlight installed if so few websites are using it. So, "not enough clients have it installed" is not a meaningful reason not to use it for your website.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 6:34 PM
  • More than 2 million views, wow.

For version 4 of this great technique I wish a Rich Textbox Control. At least event handling support for the <Run> Tag is more than necessary. At the moment it's not even possible to add a href-like link inside of a textblock-text.

Cheers, Daniel.

www.danielvogt.info

Sunday, July 12, 2009 7:03 AM
  • More LinQ Support, like joins, groups etc.. through service references to .NET Entity Model.

Correct the Associations problem that does not allow you make an association with a specific column and also correct the problem with the PK that in order to fix it, you need to remove the PK from the entity model in order to make an association.

Also allow multiple columns to be PK in the same table.

Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Printing please, I am sure you could include it with a SP1 release, don't make us wait until next year for printing support.

http://silverlight.net/forums/t/516.aspx

Friday, August 07, 2009 12:52 PM
  • I wish, in this moment that Silvelright could have a button which supports both image and content, like an image button Stick out tongue: <ImageButton Text="xcvxc" ImageUrl="/sdf/image.png" />

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 11:33 AM
  • Florina,

you can define one in XAML:

<Button>
    <Button.Content>
    <!-- Put here what you want in your button: StackPanel, Grid, ... -->
    </Button.Content>
    </Button>

Button.Content is of type Object, so you can place any UI element in it.

Patric

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 11:46 AM
  • Rich text box embeded.

Native 3D support would be awesome.

Get better framerates than flash.  

I would like to not edit the g file when I'm inheriting from another base class.

I couldn't resist to write a fourth. =D

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 9:48 PM
  • I would like to not edit the g file when I'm inheriting from another base class.

You don't have to edit g.cs files while your usercontrol is inherited from another class. You need to change the root tag of your xaml file.

For example

namespace SilverlightApplication.Views
    {
        public partial class SearchView : Window
        {
        }
    }

<fxui:Window x:Class="SilverlightApplication.Views.SearchView"
        xmlns:fxui="clr-namespace:SilverlightFX.UserInterface;assembly=SilverlightFX">
    </fxui:Window>

Thursday, September 03, 2009 11:26 PM
  • Edit and continue would be huge.
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 11:30 AM
  • We all know Math.Round() basically rounds a particular decimal value. But if we look into this method closely it rounds the value to the nearest even value. For example if we do Math.Round(2.5,0) it will return 2. But we may expect 3 intead of 2. In that case we can use MidPointRounding parameter of Math.Round() method. Math.Round can also take a parameter known as MidPointRounding which helps us to select the Rounding option. That means whether we want to round towards even number or to the number away from zero. For example, when someone do the rounding of 8.5 . MidpointRounding will help to specify whether rounding will be towards the even number (8) or it will be away from zero (9). http://www.mindfiresolutions.com/MidPointRounding-for-MathRound-method-in-Net-Application-293.php
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:02 AM