none
Report Generator in Silverlight

Question

• hello to all

I need a report generator in silverlight with Header and footer and Grouping Support.

i will user can build new report and save for next use time.

please help me.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 3:14 PM

Answers

• at this time there is nothing very good. Some commercial solutions are not bad but are server side technologies. Not SL.

SL 5 will provide a new vector printing engine. What it means and how we will be able to use it to create real reports is another question.. but it seems better than the "trick" included in SL4 to print visual trees as bitmap.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Well, since bitmap printing is all we have in Silverlight 4, we have to live with it for the moment (unless you e.g. use a server side approach and generate the reports in a different format for the user to download or print it using the browser). I didn't say this is a usuable lib, I said he may be able to build upon it. The project page itself makes it pretty clear that it's in Alpha stage and it also explicitly mentions it's only suitable to print short reports. However, since people run into the same problems (paging, headers/footers) all the time when they try to implement their own reporting, I think it's a good thing pointing them to such projects; no need to re-invent the wheel and bump into the same basic problems others have already solved for you.

Monday, June 13, 2011 3:44 AM

All replies

• at this time there is nothing very good. Some commercial solutions are not bad but are server side technologies. Not SL.

SL 5 will provide a new vector printing engine. What it means and how we will be able to use it to create real reports is another question.. but it seems better than the "trick" included in SL4 to print visual trees as bitmap.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Hi. Pete Brown has started this project on Codeplex last year. It's a small reporting engine that partly solves your problem (headers, footers etc.). Maybe you can build on that and add what it's missing to match your requirements yourself.

Monday, June 13, 2011 1:58 AM
  • This is really more a proof of concept than a usable lib... I will not tell to anybody to use it "as is".

More, it is using the SL4 bitmap "print engine", and this is just usable for 2 or 3 pages.

Not a good idea at all.

Monday, June 13, 2011 2:15 AM
  • Well, since bitmap printing is all we have in Silverlight 4, we have to live with it for the moment (unless you e.g. use a server side approach and generate the reports in a different format for the user to download or print it using the browser). I didn't say this is a usuable lib, I said he may be able to build upon it. The project page itself makes it pretty clear that it's in Alpha stage and it also explicitly mentions it's only suitable to print short reports. However, since people run into the same problems (paging, headers/footers) all the time when they try to implement their own reporting, I think it's a good thing pointing them to such projects; no need to re-invent the wheel and bump into the same basic problems others have already solved for you.

Monday, June 13, 2011 3:44 AM
  • I'm using this Infragistics reporting tool (SL side) :

http://www.infragistics.com/dotnet/netadvantage/reporting.aspx#Overview

Here is an example with CrystalReport and SL (server side) : http://www.global-webnet.net/blogengine/post/2009/01/06/Running-Crystal-Reports-from-Silverlight.aspx

Another example with SL and Microsoft Reporting Services technology (server side) :

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/silverlight/SLReportPopup.aspx

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/silverlight/SLReporting.aspx

Monday, June 13, 2011 4:59 AM
  • It looks like Infragistics is the only one that does client side reporting.  On a forum Telerik said they might in the future.

Does Crystal Reports WPF do it?  They don't have a silverlight version right?

Server side reports really kill the server memory.  Especially if you have large reports.  Reports stay in the web server's memory.  It's much safer to have it hog the client machine and if the user screws up and does a 10,000 page report it only hurts their system. 

I'm doing account software and there are cases where people want a 10,000 page report.  I'm currently using Telerik reports which I really like, but the memory issue is killing me.  Maybe I should just display the data in Grids and export to pdf or excel for reports.  Or I can do a straight pdf from the report.  Not sure what's the best thing to do.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:21 PM