none
RPG Game idea (Uni Project)

Question

• Hey all,

I need to create a project for my final year at Uni, and I have churned through many ideas that all fell short, until this idea reared its head.

I would love some feedback on the potential for the project, but purely from an implementation standpoint, not on whether you think its an appropriate project!

My idea is this:

A simple RPG Game that sits in a Website, using log in procedures and database interactions for persistance, but with a seperate web application on the same page that hosts the players Inventory space and attributes. 

So the idea from a project standpoint is to have both Silverlight and Flash on the same page, working in harmony through shared access of a common database.

So, do you think this would be achievable?

I have yet to research the possibility of these interactions, but was imagining that the Flash element could refresh itself every few seconds, or a refresh even be triggered by a change in the inventory/stats part of the database..

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a truly dumb idea =)

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:25 PM

Answers

• Sure.  Silverlight and Flash on the same page can talk to each other rather easily.  Search for "Silverlight Flash interoperability".

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:59 PM

All replies

• Sure.  Silverlight and Flash on the same page can talk to each other rather easily.  Search for "Silverlight Flash interoperability".

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:59 PM
  • I wonder why you would like to have both Silverlight and Flash, as if you accept Silverlight then it can most (if not all and yet more) of what Flash can do. Also having to deal with 2 technology means more work on your side and more requirement for the potential users... Really I don't see the point.

Monday, October 11, 2010 8:57 AM