none
Any luck with Vignette portal?

Question

• I have been trying to get a sample Silverlight app to run while being hosted within a Vignette portlet. So far I get nothing. Literally. Page stays white as if nothing is there. Through some javascript debugging, I've determined that the .js file does correctly "CreateSilverlight()" and the HTML is being put back in the hosting DIV tag. However, nothing shows. I'm guessing this probably has to do with the XAML file not correctly loading the .dll or something because of proxied URLs - but I'm really shooting in the dark here.

Anybody been successful on this front? Not using the portal isn't really an option since this is the official portal for our company.

Some more info - so far we have been unable to get asp.net AJAX (or even ATLAS from before) to work within the portal. Doesn't Silverlight use some sort of AJAX at some point in the processing? Like maybe in downloading the app .dll? I'll have to re-read some stuff. But I'm wondering if it's all related somehow. I know that the Java devs at our company have had to do some hacking in order to get their implementation of AJAX (DWR) to work within the portal. Don't know if I can do that if something is built into the silverlight runtime...

Thanks!

Monday, September 10, 2007 1:13 PM

All replies

•  Don't everybody chime in at once. Smile

A little more info after some more debugging. I used Fiddler to listen in on the HTTP traffic and realized that the reason nothing ever shows is that the XAML request is never made from the HTML page. I ran the app outside the portal and it requests the html, the two .js files (silverlight.js and app.html.js), and then the xaml file, the .dll, and the .pdb. When I run the app *inside* the portal, it requests the html and two js files, but that's it. I've even tried removing the call to the "createSilverlight()" function altogether and instead putting it's output, which is an <OBJECT...> tag directly in the html. This yields the same result, unfortunately.

I just don't understand why no request would be made at all. At the point when the request is made, shouldn't it be the client (i.e. the silverlight runtime) making that request? I don't see why the portal would have any bearing on that. Any networking gurus out there that might have a clue? Or actual Silverlight team devs?

One final note - our company will (hopefully) be moving to BEA's portal. Anyone know if this will work? How about with just AJAX?

Monday, September 10, 2007 11:30 PM
  • Hi, are you trying to run your app directly from the portal where it is exposed, i.e. is it hosted there as well? Or is the app stored in Silverlight Streaming (http://silverlight.live.com) and you want to expose it/run it on the portal?

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:56 PM
  •  Actually, I have reposted this in the .NET forum - I incorrectly placed in this one.

However, in answer to your question, there actually is no "streaming" or "hosting" per se involved at all. I'm simply trying to run ANY Silverlight app through my portal. The setup is this: IIS server hosting website, html page containing silverlight app. user accesses a portal, and one of its portlets simply proxies the html page from the IIS server. the actual portal is Vignette (formerly Epicentric).

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Hi, could it simply be that you have to make sure there is a mime type for .xaml registered? Otherwise your Silverlight control will not be able to load the xaml page.

Mime File .xaml

Type: application/xaml+xml

I saw this in multiple posts about problems hosting Silverlight apps. Hope this helps you too.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:11 PM
  •  I think I know the answer - but we have a ticket in to the Vignette people to verify.

It appears that when the portal makes requests to our IIS web server it refers to itself as IE 4.01 in the User-Agent header. When I attempt to make a request myself, I break in Fiddler and replace my User-Agent with a 4.01 one and I too do not receive the request. My assumption is that because it is an older browser identification, IIS simply refuses to serve the newer technology files (XAML, XBAP, etc). I know that older browser version is not supported, but unfortunately I don't know of a way to get the portal to "act" like it's a later browser. In theory it should be smart enough to use the User-Agent from the actual client - but that doesn't happen. Hopefully we'll come to some resolution with that ticket opened...

Thursday, September 13, 2007 10:29 AM
  • Hi jtneider,

My question would be way away from what you are talking.I am trying to do some development around vignette portal.

Can I get any help from you guys.

Thanks,

pandu

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 11:39 PM
  • have you tried just using inline xaml directly in the html to test?
    Also, I used to work on a Plumtree (now BEA) system, and I am pretty sure that it wont work as their stuff is hard to use with custom javscript so, I doubt the Silverlight.createObjectEx() would event work, also, all custom pages/communities are a virtual directory, on a separate server (usually). So not sure how the reference to the Xaml file would be found.

Saturday, January 05, 2008 10:15 AM