none
Windows Media Codecs

Question

• Can anyone direct me to information on which Windows Media Codecs are currently supported by Silverlight?

I am particularly interested in knowing whether or not the audio voice coded is supported.

Thanks for your help.

Monday, July 16, 2007 1:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

the voice is not supported.  the supported codecs are listed in the SDK materials under a section 'supported media formats and protocols' -- specifically it states below.  hope this helps!

Unsupported Formats

The following formats are not supported.

• Interlaced video content
    • Windows Media Screen
    • Windows Media Audio Professional
    • Windows Media Voice

Supported Formats

The MediaElement object supports the following formats. These encodings are supported regardless of the file's extension.

Video:

• WMV1: Windows Media Video 7
    • WMV2: Windows Media Video 8
    • WMV3: Windows Media Video 9
    • WMVA: Windows Media Video Advanced Profile, non-VC-1
    • WMVC1: Windows Media Video Advanced Profile, VC-1

Audio:

• WMA 7: Windows Media Audio 7
    • WMA 8: Windows Media Audio 8
    • WMA 9: Windows Media Audio 9
    • MP3: ISO/MPEG Layer-3
      • Input: ISO/MPEG Layer-3 compliant data stream
      • Channel configurations: mono, stereo
      • Sampling frequencies: 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, and 48 kHz
      • Bit rates: 8-320 kbps, variable bit rate
      • Limitations: "free format mode" (see ISO/IEC 11172-3, sub clause 2.4.2.3) is not supported.

Monday, July 16, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Is the voice codec on the roadmap or should we avoid it completely?

Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:16 PM
  • i'm not sure what specific codecs are on the roadmap, but i know that the team is continually evaluating the needs of customers and balancing that with the desire to keep silverlight lean.  as the progress of v1.1 progresses i'm sure we'll see more.  but for v1 for sure, that is not a targeted codec support.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:39 PM
  • Ok thanks, that's too bad, we use the Voice codec for all of our current videos because of superior quality for voice with smaller file size.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:43 PM
  • totally agree -- lots of people using camtasia as well have issues as that is the default...i've had to modify my profiles myself and choose different codecs for screen/voice in my screencasts in order to ensure maximum compatibility.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:53 PM