none
PivotViewer Performance

Question

• Hi,

I've been using the Pivot for quite some time but on small scale projects.

I wood like to implement the Pivot in a site and I need to know the performances at high level usage before proceeding.

I am guessing that you have a better idea about this than me spending time making different experiments :)

How many Items will be the maximum number that the pivot can display?

What will be the Browser response at a maximum number of items. Is it affected...how much?

If I have like 10000 items and like 100 users using the pivot the same time as clients will each of them make 10000 calls to the server ?

Etc.

I hope my point is clear so you can give a clear answer.

Thank You

Monday, March 21, 2011 9:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It is recommanded to load less than 3000 items in a slice.

If you want to display 10000 items on sreen at one time, the response time will surely slow down.

But below link introduces a couple of ways to optimize this:

You may choose to have a dynamic server backing the collection that determines how to slice it to get the optimal list. An example of this is the wikipedia collection. Or you may want to have a series of linked collections that link together based on a common atrribute, like actors in a movie.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/LarryLarsen/Silverlight-PivotViewer-Now-Available  (JennDox's reply)

If I have like 10000 items and like 100 users using the pivot the same time as clients will each of them make 10000 calls to the server ?

This depends on capibility of server. You can update server hardware or add multi servers and use load balancing to distribute requests to different server.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is recommanded to load less than 3000 items in a slice.

If you want to display 10000 items on sreen at one time, the response time will surely slow down.

But below link introduces a couple of ways to optimize this:

You may choose to have a dynamic server backing the collection that determines how to slice it to get the optimal list. An example of this is the wikipedia collection. Or you may want to have a series of linked collections that link together based on a common atrribute, like actors in a movie.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/LarryLarsen/Silverlight-PivotViewer-Now-Available  (JennDox's reply)

This depends on capibility of server. You can update server hardware or add multi servers and use load balancing to distribute requests to different server.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:12 AM
  • If you are using the Dynamic Collection Server, expect heavy performance issues. This server isn't multitheaded and uses very, very slow functions to process the image tiles.

Monday, July 30, 2012 5:34 PM