none
Opinion of discountasp.net for SL hosting?

Question

• I'm considering signing up for discountasp.net and would like to hear anyone's experience/opinion that has dealt with them.  I am planning on doing all of my development with 1.1 using vs2008 (c#) and blend 2 (sept preview). Also, I plan on streaming medium size videos (15-50mb) from this site too.  Will any of that be a problem with discountasp.net? 

If theres any other sl hosts out there that meet the above requirements, I'm all ears.  (They should allow access to database via sql management studio as discountasp.net does)

Thanks,

Friday, November 02, 2007 1:02 PM

Answers

• I think Discountasp.net is a great host, but for what you're doing I am confused how you're going to 'stream' videos with them.  They don't support anything except shared server and I don't think they support any streaming services.

The rest of it is fine and discountasp.net should do a great job.  They have great tools and even better people, just not virtual machine hosting or dedicated hosting which are probably going to be required to do actual streaming (and you ahve to determine the costs associated with the bandwidth you may need to show that kind of video.

Monday, November 05, 2007 5:52 AM

All replies

• I think Discountasp.net is a great host, but for what you're doing I am confused how you're going to 'stream' videos with them.  They don't support anything except shared server and I don't think they support any streaming services.

The rest of it is fine and discountasp.net should do a great job.  They have great tools and even better people, just not virtual machine hosting or dedicated hosting which are probably going to be required to do actual streaming (and you ahve to determine the costs associated with the bandwidth you may need to show that kind of video.

Monday, November 05, 2007 5:52 AM
  • I ended up signing up with them.  Pretty good so far.  Mainly what I was looking for was a commercial host that I could upload my silverlight apps and work on from work and at home.  I was expecting to be able to stream some smaller videos, but I was wrong about that - no big deal though because I can stream for free from silverlight.live.com :)

Monday, November 05, 2007 12:53 PM