none
Netflix videos and sound streaming is choppy...Why?

Question

• I also had many problems with Netflix and microsoft Silverlight 4. As soon as I started the netflix video stream I get choppy video and sound. I spent hours on the phone with the Netflix tech support to try to solve this issue, but, I and the Netflix tech support could not solve this issue. So I had to cancel my Netflix membership.

This is NOT my devices in my computer thats causing the issue, the problem is with Microsoft Silverlight 4. I have all high end devices in my computer, such as ultra fast processor, memory, video card, Fast hard drive, Highspeed broadband internet connection ect.

Why can I play full length movies without any issues on Hulu.com, YouTube and others. But, NOT Netflix streaming videos and the Microsoft Silverlight sample videos (which the issue is the same, choppy video and sound).

Also, this issue is not on one computer system, but, I have 4 computer that have the same issue with Netflix and Microsoft Silverlight 4.

Is there ever going to be a fix with the Microsoft Silverlight 4 issue?

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 9:34 PM

Answers

• freesky3 - have you contacted netflicks support?

i have seen a lot of stuff working great with SIlverlight 3 and 4 and I wonder if the problem might not be Silverlight but something to do with netflicks.

please try some of the silverlight samples here and see if they run well or have issues on your pc. 

Thursday, August 05, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Problem SOLVED!!

A system file called "HsMgr.exe" was causing the silverlight 4 video samples to have choppy sound.

Location of system file : C:\Windows\syswow64\HsMgr.exe

This system file "HsMgr.exe" came from part of the installation software of my ASUS Xonar DM sound card.

I used windows msconfig, in the startup tab and disabled the MsMgr.exe from starting up.

After disabling the "HsMgr" system file from starting up in the windows msconfig, All silverlight 4 sample videos that I've played, plays perfect sound. No choppy sound at all.

Exact name in the startup section :

>Startup Item :

HsMgr

>Manufacturer :

Unknown

>Command :

C:\Windows\syswow64\HsMgr.exe Envoke

>Location :

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrectVersion\Run

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:34 PM

All replies

• How fast is your internet connection?

http://www.speedtest.net/

Does the video play properly if play it in a window instead of full screen?

Thursday, August 05, 2010 6:23 AM
  • Download : 24.95 Mbps

Upload : 0.90 Mbps 

Video plays, but, sound shutters (choppy)

Thursday, August 05, 2010 1:22 PM
  • I think it's time to uninstall this totally corrupted software (Microsoft Silverlight 4) off my computer. It's causing nothing but problems. Microsoft doesn't want to fix this issue. 

I'm also going to stay away from any and or all microsoft silverlight content, it's a total waste of time.

Thursday, August 05, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Ken, I wonder if there is a problem with netflicks ? i have seen this kind of comment a few times.....

Thursday, August 05, 2010 8:43 PM
  • freesky3 - have you contacted netflicks support?

i have seen a lot of stuff working great with SIlverlight 3 and 4 and I wonder if the problem might not be Silverlight but something to do with netflicks.

please try some of the silverlight samples here and see if they run well or have issues on your pc. 

Thursday, August 05, 2010 8:46 PM
  • When a video is shown in full screen mode silverlight will have to resize the video to new size.   This is very processor intensive. If you have a video card that supports hardware acceleration you have less problems. Personally I think netfix is streaming the video in to small of a size so silverlight has to do to much resizing work when played full size.

Friday, August 06, 2010 6:19 AM
  • @figuerres

Yes, I have called and talked to netflix tech support, spent 4-5 hours on the phone trying to solve this issue. Yes, they told me it's an silverlight 4 issue, they even told me to install silverlight 3, but, it forces me to upgrade to silverlight 4. And yes! I did try playing some of the silverlight 4 sample videos, which have the same result, "choppy audio" (the video plays fine, its smooth).

Also, I already cancelled my netflix membership because of this issue with silverlight 4 and uninstalled my current installed silverlight 4 software, because it's corrupted software thats useless on my computer.

----------------

I have a up-to-date 2010 high end hardware acceleration video card, which all 4 of my computers have. But, all 4 computers have the same issue with silverlight 4 "choppy audio".

Why does websites like hulu.com, Best Buy CinemaNow and others play full motion picture streaming movies without any problems or issues?

In fact, I now have a membership with Best Buy CinemaNow and rent downloaded movies, the movies play great! without silverlight 4.

Friday, August 06, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Interesting, Hey I wish i had a specific contact @ MSFT to check with.... I am sure they want this to work right.

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

I will see if there is any way to determine where the problem is ....

the pc's you have do they have the same or related sound cards?

i have not had silverlight issues but i know with all the stuff out there some combo of parts can lead to problems on some desktops.

Friday, August 06, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Problem SOLVED!!

A system file called "HsMgr.exe" was causing the silverlight 4 video samples to have choppy sound.

Location of system file : C:\Windows\syswow64\HsMgr.exe

This system file "HsMgr.exe" came from part of the installation software of my ASUS Xonar DM sound card.

I used windows msconfig, in the startup tab and disabled the MsMgr.exe from starting up.

After disabling the "HsMgr" system file from starting up in the windows msconfig, All silverlight 4 sample videos that I've played, plays perfect sound. No choppy sound at all.

Exact name in the startup section :

>Startup Item :

HsMgr

>Manufacturer :

Unknown

>Command :

C:\Windows\syswow64\HsMgr.exe Envoke

>Location :

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrectVersion\Run

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:34 PM
  • SWEET!!!!!  Very Very Glad to hear that it was not really Silverlight at fault!!!

now if we can get the word out to MS and to Netflicks and have a others not get such a bad experience like that! 

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Freesky3, I am glad that you solved it because you know Microsoft wouldn't have fixed it! This is one of my pet peaves. Microsoft puts stuff out like Silverlight, but does not do enough testing. We all know Microsoft has the resources to do it, if they wanted to. Now I will get someone that will respond and say every combination is impossible to test for! To me thats a cop out, look at all the car tests that are done on a car b4 it is even released, then they still do testing while it is in production and make changes b4 it reaches to the public! Microsoft is big as a car manufacturer if not bigger. So they should be able to test and test and test and test some more, b4 releasing things to the general public. freesky3 I have the exact same problem that you did and it has been almost 6 mos. later and Microsoft still doesn't tell the users that if you have this sound car you may have to change this or that! Its like Microsoft has no support anymore. Everytime I call Microsoft anymore with a problem that has to do with their equipment or process. They want you to pay for it, now! It didn't used to be that way. I had problems with a Sql Server Installation, and I was told that I would have to pay to talk to someone! To me that is BS! It had nothing to do with what I was doing. The stupid program kept on thinking that their was an existing program of Sql Server, when there was none. It wouldn't let me download the necessary files bc of it! So instead of going through my whole entire registry to fix it, I just did a system restore on it, to a brand new state, and once I did that it was fine! But I had to figure it out on my own, with no Microsoft Support!!!!!!!!!! It would have saved me days if I could have talked to a person for a min or two, but no, I guess paying a $1000.00 for a program isn't enough for them! Installation should be very easy and basic, it wasn't! The reason I am being so critical is because I have had these issues for years, and haven't said anything! I'm not here trying to bash Microsoft, nor is it my intent! My intent is that I hope that they do better, than what they have! They need to improve on alot of quality issues! A user should have ease of access to customer support! They need better customer support! I do not like forums whatsoever for tech issues! I like to have sameday fixes, not have to figure it out on my own! Maybe that is why Java is gaining popularity! Because of its ease of ues and free applications (if one chooses that way like the JDE) or one could go the professional! But I would bet I would get better support for oracle for their database systems or their Java dept. I mean c'mon Microsoft u can do better!

Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:41 AM
  • I'm having the same issue.  i7 processor with 8GB of 2133MHz ram, SSD HD, and a pretty sweet 1 GB video card.  No reason why netflix should work fine on my crappy netbook and not work on my ridiculously fast new computer.  Spent hours trying to solve this with no luck.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 10:49 PM
  • had the same problem  i uninstalled  silverlight 5  and put  silverlight 4 on  you can get  silverlight 4 on this web page http://www.silverlight.net/downloads make sure you remove  silverlight 5 first then i went to the  silverlight 4 settings and checked the box that will not let  silverlight 4 update ........hope that helps someone

Saturday, July 07, 2012 1:33 AM