none
Login page before shell

Question

• I am developing a SL4 app by applying PRISM and MVVM pattern. I'd want to make users authenticate with username and password credentials before loading the shell (a common scenario), but I am not able to do

Any help appreciated

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:52 AM

Answers

• gioasl

You can have multiple Shell(Container) forward form one to other one. However there should be only App Root for Silvelright.

Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:21 AM
  • Hello, I will explain how it works

So I created the one shell called ShellRoot with just one region called "ShellRootRegion".

In "CreateShell" method of bootstrapper I am initiating this ShellRoot:

protected override DependencyObject CreateShell()
            {
                return ServiceLocator.Current.GetInstance<ShellRoot>();
            }

My Security module registers the login view for region ShellRootRegion, and this module is downloaded with application, so when it is initiated it injects the login view in ShellRoot view: 

SecurityModule -> Initialize()
            {
                IRegionManager regionManager = ServiceLocator.Current.GetInstance<IRegionManager>();
                regionManager.RequestNavigate(RegionName.ShellRootRegion, new Uri(ViewNames.LoginView, UriKind.Relative));
            }

after the user types login credentials, login view executes login command, callback of which (if authentication succeedes) requests navigation to my real Shell view, which in turn defines other real regions for real UI views:

auth.Authentication.Login(new LoginParameters(UserName, Password),
                    lo =>
                    {
                        if (lo.LoginSuccess)
                        {
                            IRegionManager regionManager = ServiceLocator.Current.GetInstance<IRegionManager>();
                            regionManager.RequestNavigate(RegionName.ShellRootRegion, new Uri(ViewNames.ShellView, UriKind.Relative));
                        }
                        else
                            LoginFailText = "........";
                    },
                    null);

RegionName.ShellRootRegion and ViewNames.ShellView are just predefined constants

Best Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Mark as answered if my post helped.

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:03 PM

All replies

• gioasl

You can have multiple Shell(Container) forward form one to other one. However there should be only App Root for Silvelright.

Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:21 AM
  • Ok thank you for your answer I will now try to implement this approach and let you know

Monday, March 26, 2012 2:35 AM
  • Thank you thaicarrot

I have implemented this approach and it worked greatly for me, if everyone will be interested in details I can provide them in future

Monday, March 26, 2012 3:48 AM
  • Hi

pls URGENT

I detected the same problem, I need to run login screen before the shell

Could you pls send me the code, in order to run in the Bootstrapper two shells?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:46 AM
  • Hello, I will explain how it works

So I created the one shell called ShellRoot with just one region called "ShellRootRegion".

In "CreateShell" method of bootstrapper I am initiating this ShellRoot:

protected override DependencyObject CreateShell()
            {
                return ServiceLocator.Current.GetInstance<ShellRoot>();
            }

My Security module registers the login view for region ShellRootRegion, and this module is downloaded with application, so when it is initiated it injects the login view in ShellRoot view: 

SecurityModule -> Initialize()
            {
                regionManager.RequestNavigate(RegionName.ShellRootRegion, new Uri(ViewNames.LoginView, UriKind.Relative));
            }

after the user types login credentials, login view executes login command, callback of which (if authentication succeedes) requests navigation to my real Shell view, which in turn defines other real regions for real UI views:

auth.Authentication.Login(new LoginParameters(UserName, Password),
                    lo =>
                    {
                        if (lo.LoginSuccess)
                        {
                            regionManager.RequestNavigate(RegionName.ShellRootRegion, new Uri(ViewNames.ShellView, UriKind.Relative));
                        }
                        else
                            LoginFailText = "........";
                    },
                    null);

RegionName.ShellRootRegion and ViewNames.ShellView are just predefined constants

Best Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Mark as answered if my post helped.

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:03 PM
  • thank about your help

Do you work with 2 modules: authentication module and another module?

and which module does ShellView belong?
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 7:14 AM
  • Shell always belongs to main project, where bootstrapper resides.

Please mark above post as Answered if it helped you, I'm new here and don't mind to make some points :))

Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Sure. Your answer helped me
    But I want to understand your answer well 
    Is the login screen in a separate module or part of the main project?

Sunday, April 29, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Thank you again. But I don't see an option to mark your answer. maybe I have no enough points for this :(

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 7:36 AM
  • Login Screen is in separete module and is registered via it's initialize method, as demonstrated in code

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 2:31 AM
  • I think there is a loose coupling
    Why does Authentication module call to screen that belongs to another module??
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:05 AM
  • Authentication module calls login screen that belongs to Authentication module itself
    Tuesday, May 08, 2012 2:29 AM