none
cannot install silverlight

Question

• I am running windows 7.  I have used this computer to watch netflix since I got it in Dec '10.  Yesterday when I tried to watch a show, netflix directed me to install silverlight.  When i tried, I got an error msg that I already have silverlight installed.  I uninstalled, and tried again, then I get error msg stating silverlight is not compatible with my computer's 64 bit processing system.  help please!

Sunday, May 22, 2011 2:12 PM

Answers

• Well it looks like Silverlight4 is a goner. Silverlight5 will not download into my 64-bit Explorer. I did not wish to experiment with a new browser. But using instructions and suggestions from MS Support my young computer literate friend was able to get Netflix to once again stream on my computer. I don't know the details but she downloaded Revo. Then she completely and totally uninstalled Silverlight4 and all its footprints. In my START all programs there are two Explorers listed. One is listed 64-bit, the other is not labeled. She clicked on that one (I guess it is the 32-bit) and downloaded Silverlight3. My computer runs in the 64-bit mode where Netflix still says to download Silverlight. I click on the 32-bit and the movies stream just fine. After the movies I can click back to the 64-bit. Good luck guys. 

From the last analog man left in this digital world.   

Friday, May 27, 2011 4:20 PM

All replies

• The exact same thing happened to me on the exact same day as you. I tried uninstalling and reinstalled and got the same result! How can it be working on day and not work the next when I did nothing to the computer? Netflix said contact Microsoft. Microsoft directs me to this Silverlight forum. I just want to go back to streaming movies like before. I got this new desktop because all the video shops have closed. I am old and unexperienced with computers. Please help. 

Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:53 PM
  • DITTO and DITTO...same day same issue w/ Netrflix...are you using MOZILLA...because I am and when I tried to use IE ( which I detest) it worked fine...so it could be a compatibility issue w/ Firefox...

Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:51 PM
  • A similar thing happened to me! Using Windows 7 (32 bit) and IE9. I get to the XBox Live site. It says I have to install Silverlight. I say OK. Then it says Silverlight is already installed.  So I uninstalled, reinstalled. Then the same thing happens all over.  I've never been happy with Silverlight. I've had strange problems with it ever since it was first released, on multiple computers running XP, Vista and 7.  Let's get it fixed or stop requiring it!! Right now I can't use several sections of the Xbox live website......

Sunday, May 22, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Go to control panel of your PC and choose "Add or Remove Program". Depending on your Windows OS (XP or Vista, etc.), there are different ways to get there. Look for Microsoft Silverlight. Pick the upgrade option (or check the box on XP).
    Click on and remove the last Silverlight upgrade from the last 30 days which in your case probably last two days.

Go to Netflix again and logon like normal. Choose watch immediately option on any movie. You'll be asked to install the Silverlight software. Install it like before.

Hope this helps
    Monday, May 23, 2011 2:17 AM
  • I found the same issues with Silverlight and Netflix on an HP with an I5 processor running WINDOWS 7 in 64 bit moder It had been running NETFLIX until this very"mandatory upgrade" to Silverlight. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling Silverlight, and changing from IE8 to IE9 the system is stuck in this endless interation of INSTALL SILVERLIGHT.

I supose you could downgrade your system to operate in 32 bit mode instead of 64 bit mode, but frankly both MS and Netflix should be providing something that works on a 64 bit OS. Microsoft, are you listening? At the very least biild a patch into Silverlight.

Here's what did work. I installed Google Chrome as a browser and NETFLIX works once again in Chrome. It didn't ask for Silverlight, it just loaded the film and began to play. Be cautious that you eliminate the check making google the default browser.

Monday, May 23, 2011 9:23 AM
  • Well it looks like Silverlight4 is a goner. Silverlight5 will not download into my 64-bit Explorer. I did not wish to experiment with a new browser. But using instructions and suggestions from MS Support my young computer literate friend was able to get Netflix to once again stream on my computer. I don't know the details but she downloaded Revo. Then she completely and totally uninstalled Silverlight4 and all its footprints. In my START all programs there are two Explorers listed. One is listed 64-bit, the other is not labeled. She clicked on that one (I guess it is the 32-bit) and downloaded Silverlight3. My computer runs in the 64-bit mode where Netflix still says to download Silverlight. I click on the 32-bit and the movies stream just fine. After the movies I can click back to the 64-bit. Good luck guys. 

From the last analog man left in this digital world.   

Friday, May 27, 2011 4:20 PM
  • test beta post

Friday, June 17, 2011 1:40 PM