none
SL 5 Mysterious Behaviour with WCF

Question

• Hi All,

I am facing a very strange issue, I am not sure how many of you would have faced this,however,let me explain you the situation......

I have created an application targeting SL4.This application has 3rd party controls like Infragistics,LiquidDropDown.It also has many WCF calls to data related operations.It contains couple of views too.In all the views the 3rd party controls mentioned above have been used.This application works completely fine on SL4.

However when the same application I migrate to SL5 I started obeserving strange behaviours.After upgrading to SL5 one of the view was working fine,however, another view was like frozen..... here is the twist....the view which was working on SL4 is now not working on SL5.As soon as the page loads, the visuals comes up however,there is no user interactions.its like the page is disabled.When I am loading this view there are few asynchronous calls to WCF which are used to pull data and fill up the LiquidDropDown controls on the view this is were the problem comes up,the controls do not get their data.One more strange thing that I noticed here is when I run the application i.e (CTR+F5) this issue comes up,however when I set a breakpoint anywhere in the current view and debug i.e(F5) the view comes to life.Now comes the most mysterious part.....when i set an explicit delay in the completed event of the WCF in the client code i.e, by calling System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(3000) and directly execute the application i.e, CTRL+F5 the data comes up into the controls...... Isi'nt this a strange behaviour??  I am totally stuck up on this now and dont know how to go about this or even be able to find the root cause of this behaviour.

Request all of you guys out there to help me out with this issue.

You can also mail me your findings to vinaycs2006@gmail.com

If you feel more information is required please feel free to contact me,I will try my level best to provide you with the same.

Hoping to sort this issue out.......

Thanks

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:24 AM

Answers

• This sounds like a timing issue.

#1  Check to make sure you are running the latest Infragistics libraries.

#2  While that app is hung, attach a debugger, and break.  Take a look at the callstack.  Repeat and look for a pattern.

If the module (dll) that is blocking is not yours, you may need to contact whoever built it.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:56 PM
  • 1.  Run the application.

2.  Reproduce the 'frozen' page.

3.  Open Visual Studio

4.  Debug -> Attach to Process...

5.  Set "Attach to:" = Silverlight

6.  Select the iexplore.exe process (the one hosting Silverlight, you should se Silverlight listed in the Type column)

7.  Click "Attach"

8.  Press the Break button (or Debug => Break All, or Ctrl + Alt + Break)

You might also try attaching as native if you don't see anything interesting in the Silverlight callstacks. 

Monday, April 30, 2012 3:57 PM

All replies

• This sounds like a timing issue.

#1  Check to make sure you are running the latest Infragistics libraries.

#2  While that app is hung, attach a debugger, and break.  Take a look at the callstack.  Repeat and look for a pattern.

If the module (dll) that is blocking is not yours, you may need to contact whoever built it.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:56 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the reply.However, I would like to bring out few points,

#1 I have updated the Infragitics controls to latest release and used their SL5 compatible controls.

#2 This seems to be a tricky part,could you please explain me in detail how do i go about doing this

Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:47 AM
  • 1.  Run the application.

2.  Reproduce the 'frozen' page.

3.  Open Visual Studio

4.  Debug -> Attach to Process...

5.  Set "Attach to:" = Silverlight

6.  Select the iexplore.exe process (the one hosting Silverlight, you should se Silverlight listed in the Type column)

7.  Click "Attach"

8.  Press the Break button (or Debug => Break All, or Ctrl + Alt + Break)

You might also try attaching as native if you don't see anything interesting in the Silverlight callstacks. 

Monday, April 30, 2012 3:57 PM