none
Intellisense with Silverlight 2 Beta 1

Question

• I have some problems with the intellisense Silverlight 2 Beta 1 in Visual Studio 2008. I have installed everything I need. (Hopefully). So to get started I downloaded some examples from the MIX Sessions-videos. Page.xaml now starts with the tag <UserControl> which the schema doesn't understand. I get the message "The 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/client/2007:UserControl' element is not declared".

I looked into wpfe.xsd and tag <UserControl> is not mentioned. So I don't get intellisense inside this control. But outside this control I get the normal intellisense. So is there a new and updated wpfe.xsd I can use? Or what can I do to solve this problem? In the Session MIX-videos I notice that they get intellisense, and I want that to!

Thanks for any response!

Monday, March 17, 2008 8:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this happen on one specific project? If yes, can you tell me the url where you downloaded if you can still remember?

Thanks. 

Yugang

Microsoft web development tools team

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:24 PM
  • This happens in every project I create, even in projects I have downloaded. (One example is http://simplegeek.com/mharsh/mix08.zip).

I find it very strange, as it will not reckognize the "UserControl"-tag.

Thanks.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:19 AM
  • If you build and run the new created project, does it work? If not, what errore do you get in the output window, same ones?

Thanks.

Yugang

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:52 PM
  •  Below you can see a picture of the error message I'm getting. This is from a newly created project. Because of this I don't get intellisense inside this tag. Outside this tag I get intellisense.

Silverlight error

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Thanks. If you press"F5" regardless of the schema error, does the project build and the control gets loaded successfully in the browser?.

Can you also invoke menu of "Help"->"About Visual Studio", select the "Microsoft Silverlight project" to see what the version do you get ?

Yugang

Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Thanks. Yes it builds successfully. I have already created projects with Blend and VS and it works perfectly in the browser, but it's annoying not having intellisense in Visual Studio.

Some of the information listed under "About Visual Studio":

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
    Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 3.5

Installed Edition: Professional

Microsoft Silverlight Projects 2008   91605-270-9508231-60970
    Microsoft Silverlight Projects 2008
    Version 9.0.21116.54

Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Tonton, did you install using the chained install found here?  It looks like you're missing the patch.

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Yes I have installed it. I think this a problem with .xsd-files located under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Xml\Schemas. As "UserControl" isn't mentioned in wpfe.xsd. Or am I wrong?

Sunday, March 23, 2008 4:41 PM
  • I'm having the same issues, i've even uninstalled/re-installed everything to no avail.  works fine on my other laptop but for some reason I'm not getting Intillisense to work at all (or the design split view with .xaml files). 

the code does compile/run fine, so the assemblies are there/working. 

this is most annoying!!

Monday, April 07, 2008 2:28 PM
  • ok, i got this working after doing the following re-install of all components

1. exit all applications/visual studio instances/etc.
    2. delete c:\program files\visual studio 8 and c:\program files\visual studio directories - apparently these were left over from my 2005 installs (maybe even 2003?)
    3. re-run Silverlight tools for 2008 install (VS_SilverlightTools_Beta1_Setup)
    4. fire up Visual Studio 2008
    5. load up a project with a .xaml file.  in Solution Explorer, right click a .xaml and click "Open With..."  make sure that Windows Presentation Foundation Designer is set as Default.

once i did the above, intillesense started working and the design/code split screen is working.

not sure if this is just limited to my unique install or what, but maybe will help someone.

cheers,
    Paul

Monday, April 07, 2008 4:54 PM
  • Hi,

I'm getting this error with XamlPad
    The tag 'UserControl' does not exist in XML namespace 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/client/2007'. Line '1' Position '2'.

Everywhere else works just fine.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 5:56 PM
  • The same problem has just occurred on my machine.  I repaired the Silverlight Development Kit installation, but doing so had no effect on the problem.  What's odd is that it's not affecting all of my XAML files.  If I create a new Silverlight UserControl, it doesn't have the problem.   Files that I created earlier, have the problem.

Neil

Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:54 PM
  • I think I know your problem.

I had the same problwem converting my old SilverLight 1.1 to 2.0 since there are things that goes in the .g.cs file,  I'm almost sure you're problem is there.

What I simply did was to Make a new empty user control, and then took the inner part of my old control and insert it into the empty control and voila, everything was fine UNTIL the StoryBoard wasn't visible in Expression Blend which I realize later that this is also missplaced from 1.1 to 2.0 needed the UserControl.Resources element then placed all my storyboard inside it and voila, everything was perfect.

NOTE : the .g.cs file isn't visible anywhere.  But if you go in Definition of InitializeComponent(); in your Page_Load, you'll find yourself into it.

Good luck !

For MY problem,  I suspect that XamlPad is just not up to date to show all the relevant shemas  It should simply work by copy/past a xaml inside the text part but things are not really recognized and it should since everything in the xaml was created by Expression Blend

Monday, April 14, 2008 5:24 PM
  • Hi

How I Can Convert From Silverlight 1.1  To Silverlight 2 Beta 1

are there is Recoding ?

Thnx

Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:04 AM
  • Hi,

Just read up, the solution is clearly there. 

Monday, April 28, 2008 7:30 AM
  • Hi

What I Must Instal Before Silverlight 2.0 tools fof Visual Studio

thnx

Sunday, May 04, 2008 2:21 AM
  • What I Must Instal Before Silverlight 2.0 tools fof Visual Studio

You must install VS 2008 RTM or release version before installing SL 2 Tool for VS. More Info? Please read this. http://michaelsync.net/2008/03/07/tipstricks-silverlight-2-beta-1-tools-for-visual-studio-2008-installation-error 

Sunday, May 04, 2008 2:48 AM
  • Hi I

Was Developed Silverlight Control Using Silverlight1.1 Alpha Refresh

But I Don’t Know How To Package it and How To Convert it To Silverlight 2.0

Can Any Body Help Me

Monday, May 05, 2008 9:02 AM
  • http://silverlight.net/forums/p/15488/51199.aspx#51199
    Monday, May 05, 2008 9:13 AM
  • Thank You for your answare

But How To Package the Control to use it in silverlight 1.1 Projects

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 2:28 AM
  • But How To Package the Control to use it in silverlight 1.1 Pro

What do you mean? If it's not related to original discussion, you should consider opening new thread...

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 3:02 AM