none
Using Silverlight with Netflix and using full screen option

General discussion

• When I go to the Netflix website and stream a movie to my computer and select the full screen option, the video motion is not smooth and continuuous; the video motion is more like watching a slideshow of still pictures. Any solution to this problem would be appreciated.

Monday, July 25, 2011 9:24 PM

All replies

• Support for the Netflix Media Player is provided by Netflix. There can be a number of reasons for the poor streaming quality that you are experiencing including hardware limitations. These items may include your video card, network and your service provider. Before upgrading your hardware or service I would recommend that you contact Netflix through the "Your Account & Help" link when you logon to your account.

You should notice a range of help options including one labeled: Manage Video Quality that contains the following information:

We know that some of you have Internet data caps and we want to make it easier for you to manage how much data you use.

We offer 3 video quality settings to help you manage your data usage. No matter what level you choose, your Netflix membership price will remain the same.

The page then offers the following options:

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)

Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)

Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)

There is also an option on the Help page to report problems that you encounter when streaming video.

Friday, July 29, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Make sure you are using Silverlight 4.0.50401, the required version that Netflix requires. On my Atom 330 and ION this version is the only version that would work without stutter...etc..

MS Site:  Silverlight 4.0.50401

Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:00 AM
  • Support for the Netflix Media Player is provided by Netflix. There can be a number of reasons for the poor streaming quality that you are experiencing including hardware limitations. These items may include your video card, network and your service provider. Before upgrading your hardware or service I would recommend that you contact Netflix through the "Your Account & Help" link when you logon to your account.

There can be a number of reasons for poor streaming quality, but in my case I have a 1.6Ghtz dual core processor, 3GB DDRII RAM, and 15Mbps cable internet and Silverlight is the reason for the issue.  I'll go from using 18% of cpu usage to 90-100% when I start a Netflix movie.  It runs fine on my Xbox, which is a pain to switch over to and I shouldn't have to, and even plays on a Roku HD player.  The Roku has a 320MHz processor and 256MB of Nandram plays Netflix HD flawlessly on my friends system and my, much more powerful, computer can't make it past 10 seconds before it becomes a slide show.  The difference?  SILVERLIGHT!  I'm planning on buiding a new HTPC and don't feel that I have to build a power computer just because of Silverlight on Netlfix.  My computer has no problem running any HTML5 or Flash HD content but Silverlight is beyond stupid.  Actually the only thing that slows down my computer at all is Silverlight.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:27 PM
  • I've been using Netflix for 3 years, but recently I have been having a horrible time with streaming being very choppy, audio out of synch, constant buffering, and sucking up 100% of my CPU.
    Not worth watching.
    I tried all kinds of things ( too numerous to list) trying to fix this.
    But it was No Go (and I'm fairly computer savvy).
    In frustration I ALMOST cancelled my account. Then I read a post up above (don't remember ur username but tyvmLaughing).
    Here is the gist of it:

Login and click on "Your Account & Help" link in the upper right-hand corner.
    Then click on "Manage Video Quality".
    The page then offers the following options:

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)

Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)

Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD).

I had mine set at 1GB per hour. Hmph!
     I changed it to 0.3GB per hour and then tested my streaming. Voila!!! It worked!!! Video quality is good and everything runs smoothly.
    This solved my problem. It may or may not solve yours, but its worth a try.

Friday, October 21, 2011 1:16 PM

Linux Hosting in India Linux Reseller Hosting in India

Friday, November 04, 2011 7:59 AM