none
Silverlight beta 2 installation fails

Question

• Hi,

I have just reinstalled VS 2008 due to SP 1 beta issues with missing entity framework project templates.

I have now successfully installed VS sp1 beta and have run the silverlight_tools_fixup.vbs to clear any previous version conflicts.

I now receive the following fatal error during the installation of Silverlight beta 2 via SilverlightChainer.exe 9.0.2102.111

The following error is what I found in the log file 

[6/24/2008, 15:58:10] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::Launch) Launching CreateProcess with command line = c:\173ce3f45cfdbcde7dd0ece6cbf18a99\Silverlight.2.0_Developer.exe /q
    [6/24/2008, 15:59:43] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::EnsureExitCodeIsAnMSIErrorCode) Original exit code: c:\173ce3f45cfdbcde7dd0ece6cbf18a99\Silverlight.2.0_Developer.exe returned non-MSI error code: 0x8000663 - (null)
    [6/24/2008, 15:59:43] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::PerformAction) c:\173ce3f45cfdbcde7dd0ece6cbf18a99\Silverlight.2.0_Developer.exe - Exe installer does not provide a log file name
    [6/24/2008, 15:59:43] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::PerformAction) Exe (c:\173ce3f45cfdbcde7dd0ece6cbf18a99\Silverlight.2.0_Developer.exe) failed with 0x80070643 - Fatal error during installation. :
    [6/24/2008, 15:59:43] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::PerformAction) PerformOperation on exe returned exit code 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)

I am running XP sp2

Can anyone help please?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:12 AM

Answers

•  As well as not being able to install Silverlight beta 2, I also had an issue where I couldn't even uninstall Silverlight (runtime) from add/remove programs (see my post yesterday).

As a last resort I downloaded revo uninstall (http://www.revouninstaller.com/) which is freeware and used this to try and uninstall Silverlight.

This to failed to uninstall but if you select the more thorough remove option it will also search you machine for any other registry entries and files relating to Silverlight and give you the option to delete these.

By looking at the found files I noticed that I had 2 different versions of Silverlight installed under Program Files/Silverlight so I deleted both directories as well as the main Siverlight directory.

I then deleted all other references/registry entries found by Revo uninstall.

Silverlight was then not listed under add/remove programs anymore.

I then ran the Silverlight_Chainer.exe for beta 2 and it completed successfully.

At last I can now create Silverlight beta 2 projects under Visual Studio 2008 sp1 beta1

This is probably not the recommend fix but it worked for me and with no other options left but to reformat my machine it was worth the risk.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:40 AM

All replies

• Did you find a solution to this?

I have almost the exact same issue.
    This is my error log: Created new ExePerformer for Exe item
    Action: Performing Action on Exe at c:\eac3c291a0a49bcda7d179\Silverlight.2.0_Developer.exe
    Launching CreateProcess with command line = c:\eac3c291a0a49bcda7d179\Silverlight.2.0_Developer.exe /q
    c:\eac3c291a0a49bcda7d179\Silverlight.2.0_Developer.exe - Exe installer does not provide a log file name
    Exe (c:\eac3c291a0a49bcda7d179\Silverlight.2.0_Developer.exe) failed with 0x80070643 - Fatal error during installation. :
    Action complete
    Action: Performing actions on all Items
    Created new ExePerformer for Exe item
    Created new ExePerformer for Exe item
    Action: Performing Action on Exe at c:\eac3c291a0a49bcda7d179\TestVS2008Features.exe
    Launching CreateProcess with command line = c:\eac3c291a0a49bcda7d179\TestVS2008Features.exe /skip
    Exe log file is C:\Users\TROND-~1\AppData\Local\Temp\TestVS2008FeaturesLogFile.txt
    Exe (c:\eac3c291a0a49bcda7d179\TestVS2008Features.exe) succeeded:
    Action complete
    Action complete
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), Fatal error during installation.
    Action complete

TEK
    Friday, July 11, 2008 4:19 AM
  • Sorry, I've had no reply to my issue and still cannot get Silverlight beta 2 installed on my main dev machine which has Visual Studio SP1 beta installed.

Have you tried running silverlight_tools_fixup.vbs?

This didn't help me on my main dev machine but when I ran this on another machine it started an installer which seemed to reset some Visual Studio dlls and then when I ran the Silverlight_Chainer.exe again it installed successfully but this was with the Visual Studio SP1 beta uninstalled.

If you manage to find any further information I'd be grateful if you would let me know and obviously I'll do the same.

Friday, July 11, 2008 4:50 AM
  • I have the same problem. I've tired different solutions, but I still can't install Silverlight beta 2. Have anyone ideas about this?
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:35 AM
  • I have the same problem. I've tired different solutions, but I still can't install Silverlight beta 2. Have anyone ideas about this?
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:40 AM
  •  As well as not being able to install Silverlight beta 2, I also had an issue where I couldn't even uninstall Silverlight (runtime) from add/remove programs (see my post yesterday).

As a last resort I downloaded revo uninstall (http://www.revouninstaller.com/) which is freeware and used this to try and uninstall Silverlight.

This to failed to uninstall but if you select the more thorough remove option it will also search you machine for any other registry entries and files relating to Silverlight and give you the option to delete these.

By looking at the found files I noticed that I had 2 different versions of Silverlight installed under Program Files/Silverlight so I deleted both directories as well as the main Siverlight directory.

I then ran the Silverlight_Chainer.exe for beta 2 and it completed successfully.

At last I can now create Silverlight beta 2 projects under Visual Studio 2008 sp1 beta1

This is probably not the recommend fix but it worked for me and with no other options left but to reformat my machine it was worth the risk.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:40 AM
  • Check this post:    http://silverlight.net/forums/p/21077/73178.aspx#73178

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 1:27 AM
  •  

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:40 PM
  • If your installation log says that Silverlight_Developer.exe failed, this means that you have a newer version of the non-developer runtime installed.  From add/remove programs, remove "Microsoft Silverlight" and then run the installer again

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:05 PM
  • I think your right about the issue being to do with having previous versions installed. My problem was that I had already removed any previous Silverlight runtimes via Add/Remove and so I had nothing left to uninstall. It's only when I ran the third party uninstaller software that I found I still had two different versions installed.

Please see my previous post (07-16-2008 1:40 PM) for my complete solution.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:19 AM

Hope this helps.

this is real solution thanks Matt007

1-  with this tool delete everything about silverlight. (Even browser plugin)

2-  and install Silverlight_Tools.exe

Sunday, May 31, 2009 12:55 PM
  • I've documented how to do the uninstallation by downloading the necessary .msi.

Silverlight missing .msi uninstaller 

Monday, August 30, 2010 4:13 PM
  • thanks

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 11:01 PM