none
How to view multicast video in Silverlight?

Question

• I have a multicast stream being generated on one of my servers. The url to the stream is http://mystreamer1/VBR-Movies-MulticastDarwin.sdp. I have read that Silverlight supports viewing of multicast streams but I haven't the first clue on how I need to configure the Silverlight control on my site to connect to the stream. For VOD I just set the media element .source to a URL for a video. I tried to set the .source to the stream url but nothing. I have goggled a lot and have not found any examples. Does anyone have some good advice?

Thanks!

Monday, January 30, 2012 7:49 AM

Answers

• Could not find an answer and don't have time to figure out how to write the code to use the MediaElement.SetSource with a stream, etc. So, I am switching to the vlc player.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 11:10 AM

All replies

• Thanks David.

I attempted to dig through the Muranosoft example but it appears as though there is a lot of code needed to get Silverlight to show a multicast video. With QuickTime, I just point the browser to the SDP file and away it goes. I wouldn't mind adding the code to my app to make it work but this example has so much other stuff in it, it makes it difficult to find just the code I need.

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:00 AM
  • So, no one has used Silverlight to view a multicast video? I can't find any useful examples or anything close to this. From what I have read Silverlight supports this. Will I need to use:

UdpSingleSourceMulticastClient

Our multicast server is using Quicktime. If no one knows the answer, does anyone know where I can go to seek additional help? Microsodft developer support?

Monday, January 30, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Could not find an answer and don't have time to figure out how to write the code to use the MediaElement.SetSource with a stream, etc. So, I am switching to the vlc player.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 11:10 AM