none
Silverlight - Netflix Message ID: 1618

Question

•  

Everytime I try and install any new software program on my computer I continue to get an error message stating:  "Another product is already being installed."

Recently, I tried to install Silverlight through my Netflix website and got the error message below:

Silverlight  - Netflix
    Message ID: 1618
    Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation
    before you continue with the Microsoft Silverlight installation.

Unable to install Silverlight.  Another product is already being
    installed.

I tried to install my Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 and received the same message but a different error number:

Adobe Photoshop Elements
    Error 1500.  Another installation is in progress.  You must complete
    that installation before continuing this one.

I think it has something to do with my Windows Installer but I don't know how to fix it.  Please help me with this problem and I will be forever grateful.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 1:38 PM

Answers

• This is an unusual problem.  I imagine that you cannot install any software or system updates at all.

The Windows Installer will only allow one install to run at a time.  It may run when you intentionally install a product, when you start your system up to install a downloaded update, or when an automatic update is processed.  Some installs (like system service packs) run a long time, an hour or two, but they should complete eventually.  Most are over in minutes.  When something is being installed, your hard disk will probably be busy.  You may have a light on your computer that indicates this.

This page describes (very technically) how the system detects that another install is running: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372909(VS.85).aspx.  It refers to more information about setup logging on this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368560(VS.85).aspx.

The later one tells how to answer the question "What's being installed?"

First, open your Application Event Log.  You do this differently on different operating systems, so go to "Help and Support" on your Start menu and search for Application Event Log.  Once the event log is open, you should see something to click called "Application."  On Vista, it's "Windows Logs" first, with "Application" under it.
    There will be messages in the log file, probably a lot of them.  There may be a column labeled "Source."  The source would be MsiInstaller.

Hopefully you will find a message with a date and time that tells you what's being installed.  This will be very valuable information, and may help us solve your problem.  Or it may indicate another product that has an installation problem, and they may be able to help you solve the problem.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 9:12 PM

All replies

• Hi! Did you call Netflix? They have a support number on their site, but I've heard it is hard to find.
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 2:36 PM
  •  I did call Netflix and they sent me to this site.  They couldn't offer me anymore help than I'm hoping to get from someone on this site.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 2:48 PM
  • This is an unusual problem.  I imagine that you cannot install any software or system updates at all.

The Windows Installer will only allow one install to run at a time.  It may run when you intentionally install a product, when you start your system up to install a downloaded update, or when an automatic update is processed.  Some installs (like system service packs) run a long time, an hour or two, but they should complete eventually.  Most are over in minutes.  When something is being installed, your hard disk will probably be busy.  You may have a light on your computer that indicates this.

This page describes (very technically) how the system detects that another install is running: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372909(VS.85).aspx.  It refers to more information about setup logging on this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368560(VS.85).aspx.

The later one tells how to answer the question "What's being installed?"

First, open your Application Event Log.  You do this differently on different operating systems, so go to "Help and Support" on your Start menu and search for Application Event Log.  Once the event log is open, you should see something to click called "Application."  On Vista, it's "Windows Logs" first, with "Application" under it.
    There will be messages in the log file, probably a lot of them.  There may be a column labeled "Source."  The source would be MsiInstaller.

Hopefully you will find a message with a date and time that tells you what's being installed.  This will be very valuable information, and may help us solve your problem.  Or it may indicate another product that has an installation problem, and they may be able to help you solve the problem.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 9:12 PM
  •  Thanks for the help but this is way beyond my technical comprehension.  Went to where you said to go and did a search for Application Event Log but there was no such file in the file that opened up.  My computer has never been able to install IE 7.0 nor any subsequent Service Packs beyond SP2.  Cannot install any new software to my computer because of the message that says "There is currently another software installing," which is never the fact as I've gone into Windows Task Manager and turned off any msiexec.exe and it just starts again.  Microsoft will never get back to me about this problem and it started at least 1 year ago.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 9:46 PM
  • I know that this isn't a very attractive suggestion, but have you considered reformatting your computer and reinstalling Windows, starting all over again?

Without service packs or system updates installing, it's not very safe.  And the inability to install programs must be incredibly frustrating.  If there is a fix, it would probably be very involved.

Do you run both antivirus software and anti malware software?  Are they able to keep up-to-date?  This could easily be malware or a virus.  (Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.)  My kids computers have gotten into similar conditions before from malware, and I found starting over to be quite painful, but worth the effort.  Sometimes it's the only solution.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:02 PM
  •  Thanks again for your option, but I'll purchase a new computer before I go that route.  Like I said, not much of a computer savy person so I wouldn't even want to start down that road.  I have Trend Micro installed on my computer so no malware or virus of any kind ever suspected.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 10:35 AM
  • One more option: if price is an issue, a local computer store can reformat and install the operating system for you for much less than you'll spend on a new computer.  You can get an amazing amount of computer for the money today compared to five years ago, but if you're happy with your existing machine this approach might work for you.  I can't guess what the cost would be, but it would be worth checking.

Of course, local computer stores are disappearing fast and may already be a thing of the past in your community.

Good luck; sorry we couldn't help more.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 11:39 AM
  • im also experiencing the same issue!

Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:21 PM
  • Has anyone found a resolution to this? I am having the same issue also, and I am loathe to reformat as well given the amount of crap that I have to back-up... Thanks! And... shouldn't this be Netflix's problem as well? I mean we're paying for something that we can't even use! If they are forcing us all to use this method to watch movies, they should at least be able to offer *some* assistance, at least for issues that are common!

Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:51 PM
  • I am having the same issue also, and I am loathe to reformat as well given the amount of crap that I have to back-up... Thanks! And... shouldn't this be Netflix's problem as well? I mean we're paying for something that we can't even use! If they are forcing us all to use this method to watch movies, they should at least be able to offer *some* assistance, at least for issues that are common!

contact me privately via the forum and I'll see if I can help you out.

thanks!

- Tom

Tom Taylor    |    Microsoft Silverlight

Monday, June 28, 2010 6:06 PM