none
Sample of consolidating FacetCategories into one category??

Question

• Can someone share a sample of how to take a number of entries (currently FacetCategories) and combine them into checkboxes under 1 FacetCategory?  I'm not a big XML guy and can't figure it our from the schema.  I've managed to turn off the ones that I don't want to show but I think I need to create a new FacetCategory and someone nest the others under that or something??

A pointer to a post would be just fine, thanks!

Monday, November 08, 2010 2:18 PM

Answers

• Yes, that will serve you well. Consolidating simple facets stops your collections getting too unwieldy and often gives a better UX.

Monday, November 08, 2010 11:17 PM

All replies

• If you are using the Excel tool then you can join together facet values using '||' as in the 'Tag' facet of this example collection "Keynote||WP7||Windows Azure||Cloud||Silverlight||.NET" giving:

- <Facet Name="Tag">
      <String Value="Keynote" />
      <String Value="WP7" />
      <String Value="Windows Azure" />
      <String Value="Cloud" />
      <String Value="Silverlight" />
      <String Value=".NET" />
      </Facet>

Assign Multiple Values in the Same Category at

http://www.silverlight.net/learn/pivotviewer/excel-tool/

or add multiple facets with a trailing number, eg: Tag, tag2, Tag3

In JIT server provide an array of Facet values...

If it where a database collection, you could consider combining binary flags into one facet such as:

is_readonly, is_auto_shrink_on, is_ansi_padding_on, ...

and call it database attributes.

Monday, November 08, 2010 3:03 PM
  • Not quite, I got that working.  What I'd like is something like this.  I have a number of fields in my spreadsheet like "Windows Server", "SharePoint", "Office".  For each entry someone is going to select "Yes" or "No".  Instead of the pivot showing each as a different facet I'd like to have a "Products" facet category and then have each of them in the list below to filter on.  Right now the tool makes each of those columns it's own category. 

Monday, November 08, 2010 3:42 PM
  • So have a 'Products' facet/field/column and assign it multiple values such as 'Windows Server||SharePoint||Office" then they will appear under the one facet with checkboxes for filtering.

Yes/No is a binary flag/attribute like I described is it not?

Monday, November 08, 2010 3:58 PM
  • I guess I'm just not sure how to change the CXML to make that work. 

Monday, November 08, 2010 4:01 PM
  • For an item it would like like this for the string facet 'Product': 

<Facet Name="Product">
      <String Value="Windows Server" />
      <String Value="Sharepoint" />
      <String Value="Office" /> 
      </Facet>

In the filter pane for the 'Product' facet, the values 'Windows Server', 'Sharepoint' and 'Office' will appear with checkboxes. Just like 'Cloud', 'WP7', 'IE9' and 'Silverlight' appear as values with checkboxes in the PDC2010 sample:

http://xpert360.wordpress.com/2010/10/27/adventures-with-pivotviewer-part-4-augmented-pdc10-reality-pivot-the-agenda/

Kind regards

Dave 

Monday, November 08, 2010 4:12 PM
  • ok, so how does it know that SharePoint is listed in column AA of the spreadsheet data? I guess in this case it really is post excel so it's a "facet" on each "item". 

Monday, November 08, 2010 4:55 PM
  • If you are using the Excel tool (?) then the coulmn/facet name would be 'Product', no other related columns required, and each item/row would have a value under this column which can be multiple facet values concatenated with '||'. You don't have any column 'AAA' etc., put them in one column.

The tool pulls all the values out of the 'Product' column/facet in the cxml to build the facet values you see in the pivotViewer filter panel.

Monday, November 08, 2010 5:39 PM
  • ok, I think I got it now.  I'd have to build a single column in excel from all my other columns that are currently yes/no entries.

Monday, November 08, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Yes, that will serve you well. Consolidating simple facets stops your collections getting too unwieldy and often gives a better UX.

Monday, November 08, 2010 11:17 PM
  • That did it.  I created the Products column and used a bunch of IF() statements to get one entry. 

Thanks!

Thursday, November 11, 2010 3:42 PM