none
Silverlight Application Storage Error

Question

• I am trying to watch Netflix on the Internet and the following message popped up:  Silverlight Application Storage Error:  Error Code: N8007. 

It said I needed to update the Silverlight Application Storage and then asked me to follow a bunch of steps.  I followed all the steps and I still can't watch my movie.  I called Netflix and they referred me to Microsoft.  I called the customer service line and they referred me to this forum.  Please help!!  Thank you.

PS.  I have the 3.0.50106.0 version of Silverlight

Friday, April 30, 2010 5:03 PM

Answers

• I contacted mcosgrove3 offline & she was able to resolve this herself after a reboot and making sure that her system was up to date.

The "N8007" error is likely how Netflix reports Silverlight's 8007 error, which could have been caused by a few different issues. Aside from making sure that your system is fully updated, the next thing to do is to uninstall Silverlight 3 and install Silverlight 4, which contained fixes for some known causes that could lead to this under specific conditions.

- Tom

Tom Taylor    |    Microsoft Silverlight

Saturday, May 01, 2010 3:06 PM

All replies

• I'll contact you offline to get some more details, and reply back to this once I have a better idea about what you're encountering.

If anybody else reading this is hitting the same issue, please feel free to send me a private message with more details.

thanks!

- Tom

Friday, April 30, 2010 5:32 PM
  • I contacted mcosgrove3 offline & she was able to resolve this herself after a reboot and making sure that her system was up to date.

The "N8007" error is likely how Netflix reports Silverlight's 8007 error, which could have been caused by a few different issues. Aside from making sure that your system is fully updated, the next thing to do is to uninstall Silverlight 3 and install Silverlight 4, which contained fixes for some known causes that could lead to this under specific conditions.

- Tom

Saturday, May 01, 2010 3:06 PM
  • I have the same error have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and nothing as worked. I wonder if you have any other suggestions? Please let me know.

Thanks

Sunday, December 26, 2010 8:21 AM
  • Mr. Taylor,

My name is Alan Rainwater and I have just 30 minutes ago signed up for netflix and cannot watch any movies online i have a Hewlitt Packard G62-144DX laptop running Windows 7 with 4 gb ram and 500 gb harddrive, I have Microsoft Silverlight 4 download into my laptop and have tried everything but cannot get movies to play.

Sincerely,

Alan Rainwater

rainwateralan@yahoo.com

Saturday, February 05, 2011 10:23 PM
  • i have the same issue, freshly installed aulite on a firefox/bootcamp, nothing works. n8007 error. Could it be because of partition?

Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:46 PM
  • hi i was just wondering if u could help me by any chance ive uninstalled sliverlight and reinstalled it a few times ive read a bunch of different things to try and tried them but nothing seems to work iam still getting the errorcode N8007

Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:24 AM
  • I have just 30 minutes ago signed up for netflix and cannot watch any movies online

i have the same issue, freshly installed aulite on a firefox/bootcamp, nothing works. n8007 error.

I have the same error have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and nothing as worked. I wonder if you have any other suggestions?

hi i was just wondering if u could help me by any chance ive uninstalled sliverlight and reinstalled it a few times ive read a bunch of different things to try and tried them but nothing seems to work iam still getting the errorcode N8007

The first suggestion I have is to cal Netflix, which the Netflix application error message tells you to do. It could be something unrelated to Silverlight (e.g. account settings), and they have a good customer support system.

If you simply want to check and make sure Silverlight is working on your machine, then I would do the following:

1. Install Silverlight if you haven't already. Restart your browser just to to be extra sure (this is required on OS X).

2. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight - this will tell you what version of Silverlight you have on your machine (if any) and whether or not it's the most current version. If the page says that it's not installed and you're sure that it is, make sure that the your browser is configured to allow browser plug-ins, and that you don't have some other third party browser utility that could be causing a problem here.

3. Go to http://www.iis.net/media/experiencesmoothstreaming and hit "play" - this will test to make sure that you can play back adaptive streaming media successfully, and will also help you tell if you are having trouble playing back higher-quality content on your machine.

4. Go to http://web.sldrm.video.msn.com/d1/sldrm.html - this will test to make sure that you can play back DRM-protected content on your machine. If you can't, it may be because DRM is disabled on your machine (you can change this in the Playback tab of the Silverlight preferences panel).

If those three sites work, then it's very, very likely that your Silverlight installation is working properly for what the Netflix site needs. If they don't, then they will help point to where the problem lies.

--------------------------------------------------------

What I would be very wary of is trying different random suggestions that you've read about on the internet unless they've come from Microsoft or from somebody on the Silverlight team (e.g. Tim Heuer's blog). I've seen people in the forums suggest hacking registries, manually cleaning out settings, installing other software, etc. and that's not really a great idea in my opinion. If there's a problem, it's usually due to a straightforward cause: DRM is turned off, your browser is set to disable plug-ins, your system has a virus that's causing problems, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------

Now, if you have done all of the above and they work, but Netflix doesn't work, then contact Netflix customer support. If Netflix customer support isn't able to resolve the problem (and they usually are), then send me a private message through the forums and I'll see if there's something that we can do to assist / diagnose the issue.

- Tom

Sunday, February 20, 2011 5:39 PM
  • I tried all the links suggested -but the last on opened as another tab -froze my system like netflix used to before I got the N8007 error....  It's the DRM link.  Now Netflix support has told me I have to pay MS $50 phone support to get help?

Monday, February 28, 2011 5:03 PM
  • well to get mine working i downloaded google chrome and netflix plays through that

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 9:10 AM
  • I got netflix to finally work after a few hours of running updates, turning firewall settings off and on... Win7 service pack 1 put me to sleep 'till I awoke, and started up again... Error N8007 persisted!

I am currently using Mozilla's Firefox 3.6.13. and I keep my setting to Never Remember History (@ the top of the browser click on Tools then click Options then click Privacy). So I tinkered with those settings to: 'Use Custom Settings for History': UNCHECK- Automatically Start firefox in private browser session. I now have everything below that with checks filled in including Clear History When Firefox Closes. -I think I can live with those settings.

Finally Netflix is working!

I tested this on and off and it is what's jacking up Netflix. Netflix is little to no help with resolving this issue, vague and unsupportive. Silverlight is working fine and is up to date. Enjoy.

I hope this fixes everyones problem.... Good luck.

-Nasdasdy

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 4:50 PM
  • I tried everything including IE and Chrome to no success -Guess all that's left ho switch to Amazon Prime subscription....

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 8:45 PM
  • I was getting the same problem. I normally use the "InPrivate" option in IE. Once I tried it not using "InPrivate" it started working perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 9:23 PM
  • This worked!

Thanks for posting this solution Nasdasdy!

VX

Thursday, March 03, 2011 12:03 AM
  • Hello Tom. I am having trouble w/ Netflix and Silverlight. Was using Internet Explorer 8 but read somewhere that Firefox was more compatible. Now, trying to play instant movies causes an error code of n8007. I try to do the advised application storage delete all routine but there are no apps to delete. Last night netflix ran fine once i changed over to Firefox. Today no luck. So I reinstalled ie 8 trying to backstep and fix, no go. Please help me out, my daughter is driving me crazy! also, running windows 7 64 bit. And updated to the most recent service pack onthe web. Thanks for anyhelp you can porvide.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Hello Tom. I am having trouble w/ Netflix and Silverlight. Was using Internet Explorer 8 but read somewhere that Firefox was more compatible. Now, trying to play instant movies causes an error code of n8007. I try to do the advised application storage delete all routine but there are no apps to delete. Last night netflix ran fine once i changed over to Firefox. Today no luck. So I reinstalled ie 8 trying to backstep and fix, no go. Please help me out, my daughter is driving me crazy! also, running windows 7 64 bit. And updated to the most recent service pack onthe web. Thanks for anyhelp you can porvide.

You should start with Netflix customer support - the application provides a phone number for you to call when the error appears. If that doesn't resolve the issue then send me a private message.

- Tom

Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:09 AM
  • I am currently using Mozilla's Firefox 3.6.13. and I keep my setting to Never Remember History (@ the top of the browser click on Tools then click Options then click Privacy). So I tinkered with those settings to: 'Use Custom Settings for History': UNCHECK- Automatically Start firefox in private browser session. I now have everything below that with checks filled in including Clear History When Firefox Closes. -I think I can live with those settings.

This worked for me!! : ) Thanks!

Friday, March 11, 2011 8:44 PM
  • I just talked with another Netflix support contact.  He had me delete the " AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Silverlight" i my user's folder and the result was: The computer froze!  -I had to physically restart and then got the old N80007 error on trying to stream. What can I try now???

Saturday, March 19, 2011 4:07 PM
  • I had problems too, tried everything on this fourm and nothing worked till i did what you said in firefox tool and checked everything in privacy. Refreshed netflix and worked perfectly thank you

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:34 AM
  • Thank you for this. I merely changed some settings on my Firefox's options unchecking "Permament Private Browsing Mode" and voila! Netflix working like a charm!!

Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:02 PM
  • tom taylor: -3

nasdasdy: 1

and the winner is: NASDASDY

thank God someone here knows what they are talking about when it comes to silverlight and firefox browser compatibility issues. thank you, nasdasdy, for being able to do (simply i might add) here what a microsoft silverlight 'employee' is clearly incapable of doing.

~kevlar

Saturday, April 30, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Hello Tom,

I have contacted Netflix support & was unable to get anything assistance. They directed me to microsoft, but was advised to go through Forums.

I did all 4 steps from above, but with #4, I couldnt get anything going at the website http://web.sldrm.video.msn.com/d1/sldrm.html.

When I try to watch Netflix videos, I keep getting error 8007. It takes me to Silverlight window & ince I click on Application Storage, the program stops & does a force close.

Thanks, Mike

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 12:20 PM
  • Good call, Nasdasdy!!

I'm using FF4 and was having the same problem even after following previously mentioned troubleshooting steps until I unchecked "Permanent Private Browsing Mode" in -->Options -->Privacy.  I then unchecked everything EXCEPT "Accept cookies from sites" (Netflix requires cookies be turned on) and "Accept third party cookies".  Netflix works like a charm with these settings.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Darn i figured the privacy thing out by myself and i rushed to send this reply but to notice someone already said it, but yeah thats really messed up >:( sometmes the best solutions is the freakin ones that are so easy a caveman can do it
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:10 AM
  • This worked for me thank you!

Saturday, May 28, 2011 4:45 AM
  • I just had to say THANK YOU!!! I have been dealing with this for months now...and finally your suggestions worked! Thank you again for the information.

Monday, May 30, 2011 11:09 PM
  • I attempted to mess with privacy settings in Firefox, using Safari, and Chrome, and found that all three browsers had the error. I did their recommendations and whatnot, still had the issues, so I did some file system searching for SilverLight and did this: (sorry it's for Mac OS X and not Windows).

For the Mac OS X 10.6 and SL Ver. 4.0.60310.0, I fixed it by deleting the /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Silverlight directory. Deleted the directory and refreshed the error page and it was a success. It just had to redownload the DRM stuff I assume.

Friday, June 03, 2011 3:46 AM
  • For the past month I have been trying to get Netflix to work as it did previously (before Silveright 4 came out). I get the N8007 error on my Mac.  I think I have tried just about everything:

1) Only on Safari so not an issue with having two internet browsers or with private browsing

2) cleared the storage on Silverlight as instructed via the error message (including the IS file)

3) deleted with browsers closed all silverlight from library/application support and plugins

4) reinstalled Silverlight several times- even installed Beta 5 Silverlight

5) rebooted several times

6) Called netflix who says its Silverlight problem...silverlight says is netflix....

Maybe the only solution is to cancel Netflix since I only watch movies on my mac...does anyone have a permanent solution to this?Undecided

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:38 PM
  • For the past month I have been trying to get Netflix to work as it did previously (before Silveright 4 came out). I get the N8007 error on my Mac.  I think I have tried just about everything:

1) Only on Safari so not an issue with having two internet browsers

2) cleared the storag

e on Silverlight as instructed via the error message (including the IS file)

3) deleted with browsers closed all silverlight from library/application support and plugins

4) reinstalled Silverlight several times- even installed Beta 5 Silverlight

5) rebooted several times

6) Called netflix who says its Silverlight problem...silverlight says is netflix....

Maybe the only solution is to cancel Netflix since I only watch movies on my mac...does anyone have a permanent solution to this?

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Dear variant_x,

OK I am using Firefox 5.0, Went to Tools, Options, Privacy, Clicked Tracking Box: I DO NOT WANT TO BE TRACKED,

Then Firefox will: USE CUSTOM SETTINGS FOR HISTORY, CHECKED Remember Download History, Accept Cookies

From Sites; Accept Third Party Cookies, Keep Until Firefox Closes, Clear History When Firefox Closes and also Click

the Settings Button to the right, (When I Quit Firefox it should automatically clear all) Settings For Clearing History:

History and Clearing Data. (ALL the little boxes in both areas)  Mind you, I did uninstall silverlight, used CCleaner 3.00.1310, cleaned the registry, and the cleaner, then closed the browser, and restarted the browser, went to Silverlight page and reinstalled the Silverlight program. (I meant did a registry clean of unused registry keys ect)

So far, I went back to Netflix and I am watching Battle of Los Angeles. No more N8007 error messages. I possibly got a bad installation or corrupted install. If this didn't work, I'd be canceling my subscription to Netflix and go by Redbox or read books more often. :)

I hope this helps? This is only for Firefox 5.0 updated. It's best to get CCleaner for free from filehippo.com or go to google ccleaner its free, and safe to use. Get the lastest one. It does wonders when trying to keep your PC clean! I hope I didn't jinx it. But anyways. That's my 'fix' to the situation.

Shalom,

Michael D. Lucas

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:23 PM
  • the only thing that worked was creating a second user on my macUndecided

Monday, July 18, 2011 12:16 PM
  • If the above didn't work for you, I have found a solution! I spent two days trying to get it to work. It's not a browser issue at all, but a corrupted file in silverlight.

1. Go to another user account on your computer. If you don't have one, quickly add a guest account. You can remove it later.

2. Go to C:/users/%username%/AppData/LocalLow/Microsoft/ and copy the Silverlight folder. You will need to be able to view hidden folders to find it.

3. Paste the silverlight folder into the same folder in the account having the issues, replacing any of the files and folders that have the same name.

4. Clear your browser's cookies and try to play a video in netflix!

I really hope this works for you guys! I spent two days googling the problem and piecing it together. Please let me know if this worked for you or if you need any clarification!

-Nathalie

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:56 PM
  • I am trying to watch a programme on sky and it is coming back with silverlight application storage error and will not allow me to watch the program.  I have looked in microsoft silverlight configuration settings and in storage made certain enabled is ticked as suggested by sky forum and it is but still can't watch sky

Can you help

I have version 4.0.6 of Silverlight

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 9:17 AM