none
Major issue with Amazon.com streaming vs Silverlight

Question

•  Hi.

During the last 2-3 weeks something has changed with Amazon Prime streaming service (US). I have been in two sessions with their tech to try and resolve this. There has been NO resolution

Every time I try to stream a Amazon prime content i get an error message "Network Error (1002)". I have been told that is a Silverlight error.  I was instructed to clear the browser cache, cookies, reboot, uninstall Silverlight (did), reinstall Silverlight (v 5.1. ??? - same as I had removed). I rebooted again just to be sure. I went to Amazon's site, *NO* luck. I GET THE SAME ERROR.

I can force Amazon Prime content to play if I start in full "Private browsing" mode. From my second chat session with Amazon I was told this forces the Flash player. *THAT* worked. *sigh*

I have problems in IE v? with Silverlight. I can get sound ok. Picture does not work (Sight is not Amazon).

Browser: Firefox 18.0.2 (Downgraded after problems on Taleo websites with v 19&20)

Honestly, I'm about ready to bad the both of you and go to Chrome or Opera.

Any help appreciated

Thursday, May 09, 2013 5:41 PM

All replies

• Hello,

For a test, I tried to play Amazon Prime, it worked normally without any error.

Have your tried to stream a Amazon prime content from other computer using IE? had same issue?

Please provide more information that will help us to determine what the root cause of the error you are facing is. Thanks.

Yanping Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, May 10, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Steps that solved this error for me, this is from a netflix tech.

I'm using win 7

1. Click on the start button

2. In the search box type this: %programdata%\Microsoft\PlayReady and hit enter

3. In the window that opens, delete the file named "mspr.hds"

4. Go back and try to play your movie

This is due to a silverlight file becoming corrupted.

Later this year netflix will be transitioning from silverlight to HTML5 which will enable better support on all browsers. I bet Amazon will follow suite since M$ is dropping silverlight.

Best,

dan

• Edited by daniel lench Friday, September 20, 2013 2:59 PM
    • Proposed as answer by M.Loveday Sunday, December 15, 2013 5:51 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 2:57 PM
  • I'm having this same issue right now.  I tried using it over the weekend and ran into this same issue.  I've tried so many things but it still isn't working.  I use Firefox but it didn't work in IE either.  I've been on the phone twice now with technical support...no resolution, no timeframe on when it will be fixed.  If it isn't fixed this week, I'm asking for my Prime membership to be refunded.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:30 PM