none
Silverlight Not Working on Google Chrome

Question

• Anyone download Google's new browser Chrome? As a developer I have no choice.

Silverlight is not working on Google browser. Anyone else experiencing this?

This would really suck if Google is doing this on purpose and small fry developers like me, excited about Silverlight, get caught in the vice of two titans (Microsoft & Google) going at it for browser domianace.

I tested flash app websites and they load fine. Silverlight websites do not load at all. As a matter of fact, this website:

http://www.medialunacafe.com.br/beta/

registers a page error on Google Chrome.

I cannot learn Silverlight if Chrome won't work with it.

• Moved by mbanavige Thursday, September 04, 2008 5:41 AM Migration data
    Tuesday, September 02, 2008 5:05 PM

Answers

• So don't use Chrome -_-

I'm trying and Silverlight works but really really badly. It seems it's based on plugin installed on Firefox so if you installed Silverlight on FF it "works" with Chrome.

http://wildermuth.com/2008/09/02/Silverlight_2_and_Google_Chrome

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Google Chrome is still a very new browser and not in mainstream. I don't think Microsoft will develop the runtime in it in short time, since we cannot determine whether it will success. It is not a problem of Microsoft, I think.

I have tried it, but the performance was really bad. Just like previous thread said, it accepts the firefox SL runtime, but not fully compatible and stable now. My opinion is Google should fix those problems now.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 11:22 AM
  • You can use IE 8 Beta, Silverlight run very well in these browser, and IE 8 beta es very similar to Google chrome.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:04 PM

All replies

• So don't use Chrome -_-

I'm trying and Silverlight works but really really badly. It seems it's based on plugin installed on Firefox so if you installed Silverlight on FF it "works" with Chrome.

http://wildermuth.com/2008/09/02/Silverlight_2_and_Google_Chrome

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Google Chrome is still a very new browser and not in mainstream. I don't think Microsoft will develop the runtime in it in short time, since we cannot determine whether it will success. It is not a problem of Microsoft, I think.

I have tried it, but the performance was really bad. Just like previous thread said, it accepts the firefox SL runtime, but not fully compatible and stable now. My opinion is Google should fix those problems now.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 11:22 AM
  • You can use IE 8 Beta, Silverlight run very well in these browser, and IE 8 beta es very similar to Google chrome.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:04 PM

Google Chrome has certainly made a powerful first impression. Though the overall picture painted has been one of incompleteness, it has apparently proved interesting enough for many to try it out. So many, in fact, that according to some statistics gatherers it is already beating Opera in terms of numbers, taking in a little over 2.6% market share. Other trackers disagree with those numbers, putting the amount of Chrome users a little under 1.5%. Others don't even have data available yet. These are definitely skewed perspectives. The browser is only a few days old, so many people may just be test driving it and don't plan on keeping it. Further, that's only two datasets. Other sites may differ. It definitely shows that Google's advertising methods, which include word-of-mouth, are working to their advantage. What I'd really like to see is download figures straight from Google – which I'm sure they are capable of providing.
    source: Techspot.com
    Friday, September 05, 2008 12:11 AM
  • I installed Chrome at the very first day of its release.My first test with Silverlight application (Beta 2) http://amyotech.spaces.live.com/  but it fails.It actually rendered the SL application but certainly not working correctly.
    Sunday, September 07, 2008 2:21 PM
  • Same thing happened with me also. The storyboard rendering in Chrome is not good. If you minimize & maximize the browser window when the storyboard is running, you will see that, the animation is working. It's nothing but the rendering problem in chrome.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 12:21 AM
  • Silverlight is working much better in the latets Chrome build, I've written up some intructions on how to switch to Chrome latest builds here:

http://blog.stormideas.com/archive/2008/09/21/getting-silverlight-to-work-in-google-chrome.aspx

Thanks,

Bob

Friday, September 26, 2008 5:15 AM
  • I found that it does work as long as you are using the latest version of the silverlight.js or if you are using the object tag you must have the data set to "application/x-silverlight," and the type to "application/x-silverlight-2".

The other issue is that the Windowless param must be set to false.

<param name="Windowless" value="false" />

If this is set to true the silverlight control will show up as a black box.

Another issue is that transparent backgrounds are displayed as black.

Here is a link that shows the active bugs in Chrome related to Silverlight. So far this one is not listed. I will add it. http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list?can=2&q=silverlight

I have found that a similar issue exists with Safari for Windows. Safari does render the transparent background correctly though.

For a version 1 Chome is amazing. Do you remember the first version of IE?? If I remember correctly it did not even support tables.

As far as WebKit based browsers are concerned, it blows Safari away. Not a big fan of IE 8. The whole standards thing is a disaster. The tabs load slow for no reason and it breaks applications on your PC. If you are using Mc Afee Security Center IE 8 will make the UI a blank form. I have unistalled the beta 2 from all my PCs and reverted back to 7. If this is really a beta 2 then they have issues. Feels more like a CPT or an Alpha at best.

Friday, November 21, 2008 2:14 AM
  • Here are some updates on the Chrome issues. Most of the remaining problems are around the plug-in not being painted correctly when it is in windowless mode. Here are the details on the last changes. You can review the code and check out what is going on if you like:

Changed by: ananta@chromium.org
    Changed at: Thu 20 Nov 2008 19:01:22
    Branch: src
    Revision: 5816

Changed files:

chrome/plugin/webplugin_proxy.cc
    chrome/plugin/webplugin_proxy.h
    webkit/port/bindings/v8/v8_np_utils.cpp
    webkit/glue/webplugin_impl.cc
    webkit/glue/webplugin_impl.h
    Comments:
    Fix Silverlight windowless plugin painting issues. This fixes the
    following
    issues:-
    1. http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=4272
    2. http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=301 (Partially)

The fixes are as below:-
    1. Silverlight in the NPP_HandleEvent call for WM_PAINT,
      calls NPN_GetProperty for a bunch of properties like
      pageXOffset, pageYOffset, etc. It expects these
      properties to have integer types on return. We always
      return double. Firefox returns integer for these
      properties. Added a check in the conversion
      to NPVariant function in v8 to check for whether the
      value is an integer and return the intger type.

2. When the windowless plugin calls NPN_InvalidateRect we
      ask the plugin to paint in the same call, which the
      Silverlight plugin does not like. It relies
      on the fact that browsers would initiate invalidation
      asynchronously and eventually paint. This is a perfectly
      legal assumption. The Flash plugin does work if we
      synchronously ask it to paint. However other plugins
      could have similar issues. I verified with
      worldofwarcraft.com to see if the async paint
      has any sideeffects and there were none.

3.If the Silverlight plugin is not visible initially as on
      msdn.microsoft.com, it does not paint. This occurs
      because the plugin expects proper paints to
      come from the browser. It does not invalidate itself in
      UpdateGeometry as Flash. The plugin widget on msdn is not
      dynamic. It does call NPN_InvalidateRect
      initially when it is not visible. We don't send the call
      to the renderer as the plugin is not visible. To workaround
      this we now track the damaged rect even if the rect does not
      intersect the clipping rect of the plugin. In a geometry update
      if the plugin is visible, we send over the accumulated damaged rect
      to the renderer.

The Silverlight plugin instance on msdn.microsoft.com does not work correctly even
    with these fixes. However it paints correctly.

R=jam
    Bug=4272,301 

Review URL: http://codereview.chromium.org/11492

Saturday, December 06, 2008 3:07 AM