none
Once silverlight 1.1 is available, do we still need silverlight 1.0?

Question

• If 1.1 is available, do we still need those skills introduced in the videos under the "how do I 1.0"?

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:48 PM

Answers

•  

Many of the skills introduced in "How do I in 1.0?" can be applied to 1.1 as many of the skills related to XAML, Expression Design, Blend, and Encoder which is shared between 1.0 and 1.1.

There are some 1.0 specific videos like "Working with Silverlight Host Object" is specific to 1.0. I am not sure if these techniques will apply to Managed JavaScript and the DLR in 1.1

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:18 PM
  • Yes, it’s mostly a personal preference. If you have more experience in JavaScript, you can continue using JavaScript. If you have more experience in .NET languages, you’ll probably want to use .NET languages in Silverlight 1.1. However, using .NET does have some performance benefits because the codes are precompiled, and it provides a better programming model. Also please note that Silverlight 1.1 doesn’t use server-side code behind. The code behind for XAML pages are executed on client-side.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 12:28 AM

All replies

•  

Many of the skills introduced in "How do I in 1.0?" can be applied to 1.1 as many of the skills related to XAML, Expression Design, Blend, and Encoder which is shared between 1.0 and 1.1.

There are some 1.0 specific videos like "Working with Silverlight Host Object" is specific to 1.0. I am not sure if these techniques will apply to Managed JavaScript and the DLR in 1.1

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:18 PM
  • When I went through the "how do I" for 1.0 and 1.1, I saw two videos on how to implement the Drag and Drop in 1.0 and 1.1. The 1.0 version has most of the code in javascript, while the 1.1 version has most of the code in server-side code behind, the question now become what is the advantage and disadvantage of both implementations, how should I decide which approach to use? Is there any criteria to make such decision or it is just purely personal preference?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:12 AM
  • Yes, it’s mostly a personal preference. If you have more experience in JavaScript, you can continue using JavaScript. If you have more experience in .NET languages, you’ll probably want to use .NET languages in Silverlight 1.1. However, using .NET does have some performance benefits because the codes are precompiled, and it provides a better programming model. Also please note that Silverlight 1.1 doesn’t use server-side code behind. The code behind for XAML pages are executed on client-side.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 12:28 AM
  • Thank you for the reply and the correction on the code behind for xaml page. That is something quite unique for a xaml page, I guess. I personally feel more comfortable using the .Net languages than javascript. But it seems that javascript become more popular with the use of AJAX and silverlight technologies.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:16 AM