none
Silverlight won't work

Question

• I have installed nearly all the versions of Silverlight (except the 1.1 alpha) and every time, it says installation was successful. I have tried running a Silverlight application (and I have tried the Popfly mashup) but it just says I need Silverlight or it redirects me to the installation page. I've tried rebooting, uninstalling then reinstalling the 1.0 beta, deleting the registry keys (it says they don't exist) and running as admin. I did find a way somewhere on the net which involved re-registering the dll file but it failed with 'Access Denied'. Any ideas?

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 3:23 AM

All replies

• There is only 2 versions of Silverlight currently, 1.0 beta and 1.1 alpha. If you want to try Silverlight samples of 1.1 alpha, you have to install Silverlight 1.1 alpha. With 1.1a installed, you do not have to install 1.0b to try samples of 1.0b. Hope this helps.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. So, which one would I need to run Microsoft Popfly? I've got it running fine in Firefox but unfortunately, not in IE. I did a bit of snooping in the registry yesterday and this is what I found based on the keys that you have to delete:

HKCR\TypeLib\{283C8576-0726-4DBC-9609-3F855162009A}\0.90 (instead of 0.8) 

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{283C8576-0726-4DBC-9609-3F855162009A} (main key instead of 0.8 on the end)

I've deleted the 0.90 bit on the first one but still nothing. I had to do it manually though because doing it through command prompt gives 'Access Denied'.

I'll try and install the alpha and see if it makes a difference

Friday, June 01, 2007 2:48 AM
  • EDIT: Sorry, the Quick Reply box malfunctioned and did this

Could a mod please delete these extra posts

• The keys that look like HKCR\TypeLib\{283C8576-0726-4DBC-9609-3F855162009A}\ and end in 0.90 are necessary for Silverlight to work on IE, it's just the ones with 0.8 and 0.8.5.0 that should be deleted.

The Popfly website says it requires the 1.0 Beta (although the 1.1 Alpha should work equally well) http://www.popfly.ms/Overview/ . Once you install again, can you make sure you have permissions to read the HKCR\TypeLib\{283C8576-0726-4DBC-9609-3F855162009A}\0.90 registry keys by inspecting them in regedit?

Friday, June 01, 2007 12:07 PM
  • Well, I only found 2 keys and no 0.8 and 0.8.5.0. I have checked the permissions for both the keys and have full control. Still nothing :(

Sunday, June 03, 2007 5:14 AM
  • Same problem here.....I've yet to get an answer from the devs or anyone else for that matter.    I had the WPF/E version installed previously but no bad keys...frankly everything in the system looks great.    dll's in the right places, reg keys set and accessible, frankly I think its an issue with IE7's security somehow as firefox works great.   It really makes developing a chore since my default browser everywhere is ie but such is life.  I'm hoping the next release fixes all these problems otherwise (shiver) I'll have to wipe my box.  
    Friday, June 08, 2007 10:39 PM
  • It's hard to say what is wrong just by reading descriptions on a forum. I can imagine it being any number of simple things like you've set IE not to allow ActiveX content or you're running 64 bit IE, or it could be something like some registry key has improper permissions. If you post/host a log of iexplore.exe trying to load Silverlight content using something like Process Monitor (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx ) I might be able to figure something out.
    Saturday, June 09, 2007 3:32 PM
  • Many users reported problems running Silverlight on 64-bit IE and you stated that 64-bit IE is a problem, Does this mean that Silverlight does not currently support 64-bit IE. And if the answer is yes, is there a work-around, and is it in your plan to support 64-bit IE in the next release?

Saturday, June 09, 2007 3:50 PM
  • I think i've done the logging correctly. I've uploaded it in the Native Process Monitor format to my box.net as its a bit too large to post here. Here is the link: http://www.box.net/shared/8csi22yk33

Saturday, June 09, 2007 4:01 PM
  • y_makram, Silverlight is installed as a 32 bit plugin. On 64 bit machines, Silverlight should run correctly in the WoW (Windows on Windows, a component of 64 bit Windows that run 32 bit applications), but it won't work with 64 bit IE. The work around is use the 32 bit version of IE (64 bit machines should have a 32 bit and 64 bit version). I don't know of any plans to do a 64 bit release right now, but that can always change.

anonymouse91, I'll take a look at it on Monday.

Sunday, June 10, 2007 4:20 PM
  • anonymouse91, looks like you don't have read permissions for HKCR\AgControl.AgControl and you verify if you can read this in regedit, set the permissions so you can read it, and try to view some Silverlight content?

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:53 PM
  • I just checked and I didn't have any permissions at all so I added full access to both the AgControl.AgControl key and AgControl.AgControl.0.90 key but still nothing :(
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:11 PM
  • Perhaps add permissions for the whole HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT?

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:28 PM
  • Done that. Still nothing :(

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 3:59 PM
  • I suggest either looking through your registry for other permissions problems, or sending me another log.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 4:09 PM
  • hey all, have you seen http://silverlight.net/forums/p/437/873.aspx#873 ? and see if that method works for what seems like a similar problem?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 11:40 PM
  • Same "still nothing" here too.  Silverlight works fine in Firefox but not in IE7. I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit and running 32-bit IE7. I've set permissions, attempted to delete keys (listed as possible solution in this thread: http://silverlight.net/forums/p/437/873.aspx#873 ), uninstalled and reinstalled the 1.0 beta multiple times. I'm Googled out. Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 7:23 PM
  • I have the same Silverlight problem, but on 32 bit Vista Ultimate.

I install Silverlight, get the Installation Successful message and then try to view some silverlight content only to be prompted to install Silverlight.

I've tried uninstalling and rebooting and then reinstalling many many times.

Basically, my Silverlight stopped working with the 1.0 release (beta was fine).

Frankly, the lack of support for this issue is disappointing.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:06 AM
  • it might not be your installation, but the sites you are visiting...if the site author didn't update their silverlight apps, then it is still looking for beta.  if you go to http://silverlight.net/ on the right side area is it prompting you to install silverlight, or is their a thing that says "Stay informed...subcribe to rss"?

it could also be sites requiring silverlight 1.1 and if you only have 1.0, you'll be prompted to install (you can test by going to www.ltbennett.com)

Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:45 PM
  • hi   y makram,    i  just installed silverlight and love it,  but there is no sound ?   have any suggestions ?   thanks

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 11:02 AM
  • it might not be your installation, but the sites you are visiting...if the site author didn't update their silverlight apps, then it is still looking for beta.  if you go to http://silverlight.net/ on the right side area is it prompting you to install silverlight, or is their a thing that says "Stay informed...subcribe to rss"?

it could also be sites requiring silverlight 1.1 and if you only have 1.0, you'll be prompted to install (you can test by going to www.ltbennett.com)

All Fixed, I didnt have rights to registry keys. Silly, why would Silverlight install and not set the proper rights on the registry.

Seems like MS should fix this issue.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 11:02 PM
  • The registry keys inherit rights from their parents, if their parent (in this case, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT) has strange permissions, its children will have strange permissions. While it makes sense for some people, that the install should just aggressively change whatever permissions it needs to, other people have their permissions set in a particular fashion, and expect installers to respect that.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:01 AM
  • I won't be installing this as a 32-bit app and I suspect that many others will share the same view.  Please ensure adequate coverage is given to any announcement that this product will run in native mode on a 64 bit Windows environment

cheers

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:47 AM
  •  

All Fixed, I didnt have rights to registry keys. Silly, why would Silverlight install and not set the proper rights on the registry.

Seems like MS should fix this issue.

Could you explain in more detail how you fixed this please. I am having exactly the same problem. I have tried every version and just get install Silverlight bitmap when I try to run any demo. I now have version 2.0.3.0226.2 installed and when I go to http://silverlight.net/community/gallerydetail.aspx?cat=3&sort=2 and press view for the grand piano sample  which is supposed to work with version 1.0 I get the same.

I went to the registry and selected key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AgControl.AgControl and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AgControl.AgControl.1.0. I right clicked and selected permissions. I pressed advanced , selected edit, selected full control and pressed apply. I did this for administrators and and system. I set all sub keys as well.

So far the only Silverlight demo that has worked so far in Firefox is http://bubblemark.com/3d/silverlight1.1.htm for some reason. All I want to do is write some xaml code in a text file to draw a shape and display it in an embedded object statement or the java script. Its hard to see how Silverlight will overtake Flash if it is so difficult to get running.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:32 PM
  • I just checked IE7 and it works fine but not in Firefox2. After some research I found a forum which explained that Silverlight is incompatible with some Firefox extensions. I was using flash block which was on they mentioned. I disabled it and restarted and Silverlight now works. I have no idea if all my changes in the registry made much difference as I don't really know what I am doing with the permissions etc.
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 3:19 PM
  •  I encountered an identical situation. IE 7.0 OK but not Firefox 2.0. I will look into it when I find some time.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:03 PM
  • I am having similar difficulties to many of the above.  I can install SilverLight, it will work with Firefox but not IE 32bit (I am running Vista Business 64-bit).  It does not matter how many times I return to a Microsoft Site, it will continue to prompt me to install SilverLight.  I have installed, un-installed and re-installed numerous times.  I have checked registry permissions.  Even tried to do a blanket permissions change in the registry (had to do a system restore - stuffed up everything.......)
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:58 AM
  • Can you please go to IE7's "Manage Plugin" and check whether Silverlight is enabled or not? Because someone reported that he has to manually enable the Silverlight plugin after installation.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:51 AM
  • Silverlight will not work in Vist Home Premium 64 bit, How does microsoft sell a OS it cannot fully support and/or develop software or programs that do not work on 64bit systems?

It's what 2 years now since 64 bit computers, and Adobe Flash and Microsoft SilverLight are not compatable.

Why do all of you do Microsoft's work for them? Do you think its OK that they release products that are not compatable with todays market and want the comsumers to do their testing and dirty work for them.

Editing registry's tweeking their products est.

Do none of you have anything better to do than constantly work on untested unusable released to work software?

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 8:54 PM
  • I've installed Silverlight on my computer, with Vista but I cannot watch videos.  I have IE8 with 32 bits, and the webpage I'm trying to watch a video from keeps sending me to install silverlight.  If I tell it to install it says that I already have Silverlight but it does not work. Help.

Friday, February 19, 2010 1:48 PM
  • I was having the same problem which was solved by enabling the Active X for the silverlight.

http://www.ningzhang.org/2010/02/17/silverlight-deployment-troubleshooting-guide/

Friday, February 19, 2010 9:24 PM