none
Unable to install SL2 from WU. Recurrent error code 656

Question

• Good Day to all:

I have SL1.1 installed. SL2 will not install due to a "WindowsUpdate_00000656" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" error. I am unable to find a remedy.

Cheers.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Rolando,

When we install the Silverlight 2 RTW, it will create a log file on your pc. The folder is not C:\temp  but  C:\Users\your account\AppData\Local\Temp by default.

User Account control asking permission to install

Silverlight 2 setup installer  & license aggrement to install now.

Unable to install Silverlight, instalation failed.

You'd better check whether you have run the install file with Administrator permission.  Please right click on the install file and choose "Run as administrator".   Let me know the result.  Thanks.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:12 PM
  • Hi Rolando,

It is weird. Would you please use Administrator account and have another try?   Also did you use WindowsUpdate to refresh your system before we run the installation file?  We need your cooperation.  

Best regards,

Jonathan

Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:00 AM
  • HEY OMG i actually found the sollution i went into the: C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp and i found some silverlight files in there named... silverlight0 silverlight01log silverlight tools RTW blah blah blah silverlight00log silverlifhgt02log silverlightMSI i deleted all of those and i tried to reinstall and it worked!!!!!!!! i hope an admin can see this post and help anyone else who has this proplem
    Monday, March 02, 2009 8:22 PM

All replies

• Please follow this procedure to uninstall your previous silverlight application.

1. Just go to control panel,

2. Click add/remove programs

You will find 3 silverlight icon

a, Unstall Microsoft Silverlight Beta pluggins 

b, Uninstall Microsoft Beta  Silverlight 2 SDK

c, Uninstall Silverlight Beta Tools for VS 2008 SP1

Please follow this steps to install.

This is the procedure i followed and it worked perfectly

This works for both XP and Vista.

1. VS 2008 installed first, then VS2008 SP1

2. install Silverligh_tools.exe 72.3MB with internet connection and everything worked perfectly.

3. Then  install Blend Trial.exe and afterwards Blend SP1. The blend now works perfectly and also is integrated with S2 RTW application.

If this post was helpful then please 'Mark as Answer'

Sharker Khaleed Mahmud
    Sr. Software Engineer
    (MCP,MCTS,MCPD[web])

This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:05 PM
  • Thanks for the return,

Regretfully, I do not have any of those programs mentioned.

All I have is Microsoft Silverlight V:1.0

Cheers

Friday, November 14, 2008 2:37 AM
  • I tried google to search[WindowsUpdate _00000656 WindowsUpdate_dt000] for those error, they returned no suitable solution, i found one possible answer[WindowsUpdate_dt000] that it occurs when trying to update to Vista, but i am sure this is not the case here.

Well, if  there is no other solution, do install the XP again [if u have time] try the order of installing that i have listed above.

if this post was helpful then please 'Mark as Answer' - many thanks

Sharker Khaleed Mahmud
    Software Developer
    (MCP,MCTS,MCPD[web])

This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped.

Monday, November 17, 2008 1:22 AM
  • Sorry, but your assumption is incorrect. My OS is Vista, not XP.

I must certainly will not reinstal an OS that is working satizfactorily , just because of Silverlight, which is not essential.

Thanks for your assistance.

Monday, November 17, 2008 12:26 PM
  •  Hi Rolando,

Since Visual Studio has not been installed to your computer,  we'd better install Silverlight 2 RTW( Windows Runtime). Before that, we highly suggest you'd better remove the previous one.  To remove it, you can go to the Control Panel.  After the uninstallation, we'd better use Windows Update to update your computer.  Then, install the Silverlight 2 RTW.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:43 AM
  • Which is the same program I tried to install before unsucesfully. To humor you, version 1 was unistalled. Again version 2 RTM failed to even go beyond the first screen past the acceptance of the software. You got the next move.

Thanks and Cheers.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 3:46 AM
  • Hi Rolando,

Did you get any prompts?   Without further information, we cannot help you more.  Sad

Best regards,

Jonathan

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 3:52 AM
  • User Account control asking permission to install

Message ID: 1622

Error 1622

The installation log file could not be written. Verify that the Temp folder exists and that you can write to it.

C:\temp folder is read/write and reasonably clean.

Sorry for the large type, Not sure why.

Cheers

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:00 PM
  • Hi Rolando,

When we install the Silverlight 2 RTW, it will create a log file on your pc. The folder is not C:\temp  but  C:\Users\your account\AppData\Local\Temp by default.

User Account control asking permission to install

You'd better check whether you have run the install file with Administrator permission.  Please right click on the install file and choose "Run as administrator".   Let me know the result.  Thanks.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:12 PM
  • Downloaded SL2 file runned as administrator.

Results are exactly as before.

"Unable to install Silverlight, instalation failed"

"Message ID: 1622"

"Error 1622"

"The installation log file could not be written. Verify that the Temp folder exists and that you can write to it."

There is no log file at the specified C:\Users\my account\AppData\Local\Temp, This folder does exist and is read/write.

Cheers

Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:55 PM
  • Hi Rolando,

Please navigate to the folder(C:\Users\my account\AppData\Local\Temp), right click on the folder and choose "Properties".  Click the "Security" tab and add your account with full control permission.   Also, please make sure that System account has the full control permission.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Friday, November 21, 2008 4:02 AM
  • System properties of the folder show that all parties: the System, the Administrator and my account, allready have full control permissions.

Cheers.

Friday, November 21, 2008 12:24 PM
  • Hi Rolando,

It is weird. Would you please use Administrator account and have another try?   Also did you use WindowsUpdate to refresh your system before we run the installation file?  We need your cooperation.  

Best regards,

Jonathan

Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:00 AM
  • Weird is right Jonathan.

Activated the Administrator account and it installed Ok from the downloaded file.

So much for that.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:30 PM
  • i am actually having the same exact error i have vista ultimate 64bit but it says error 656 ive had silverlight run on my computer before but since i reformatted i had it working and then it just stopped working im not sure why and i watch netflix and it requires me to use silverlight ive checked all my permissions and still nothin works
    Monday, March 02, 2009 8:09 PM
  • HEY OMG i actually found the sollution i went into the: C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp and i found some silverlight files in there named... silverlight0 silverlight01log silverlight tools RTW blah blah blah silverlight00log silverlifhgt02log silverlightMSI i deleted all of those and i tried to reinstall and it worked!!!!!!!! i hope an admin can see this post and help anyone else who has this proplem
    Monday, March 02, 2009 8:22 PM
  • How do I find C:\Users\my account\AppData\Local\Temp I paste it in my directory tree and it didn't come up, edited the users to all user the my account to my name but nothing, I looked at the directory tree and didn't see it eitherr.

I am using XP and my error was the

Message ID: 1622

The installation log file could not be written. Verify that the Temp folder exists and that you can write to it.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:45 PM
  • This solution is really working............... :)

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Hey Coyote,

Thank you so much. I went to the folder & found the exact same issue. Deleted everything, downloaded Silverlight successfully. Off to watch ALL the Netflixes. Thanks again!!

Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:48 PM
  • I did all these steps and all of my accounts have full control it says yet I am still getting this error. Message ID: 1622

Please help.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 10:50 AM
  • I had the same problem. I tried for hours doing everything I could find in the internet..  Installing, reinstalling, etc. I checked the C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp directory and already had full permissions and I figured, "why not delete the stuff in here", right before I read your response..  IT WORKED!!  I was having trouble with version 3 installing.
    • Edited by Airbull Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:07 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:07 AM