none
Windowless not working in IE but it works in Chrome and Firefox

Question

• Hello all,

I have an extremely weird problem, so I'll just jump right into it.

I'm developing a site for a local minor league hockey team and one of the requirements was the ability to have slideshows in their content so naturally I went with Silverlight because of it's overall awesomeness. So I threw together a little slideshow control and began my design testing for layout and browser compatibility and here is where it gets strange. oh yeah i guess i should mention that the site has CSS fly-out menus. My first round I loaded the page and saw my beautiful slideshow working and was happy to see that but then i noticed that the fly-out menus were displaying behind the Silverlight object in the browser. So off to Google I went and discovered the 'windowless' parameter :). Round 2, i update the object tag to have the windowless parameter and ta-da it works ... well kinda ... in Chrome and Firefox the fly-out menus now display right ... but in IE they still display behind the silverlight object .... now i am totally baffled.

I have tested this in the following environments;
    • Windows 7 Ultimate / IE 8 (with and without compatibility mode)
    • Windows Server 2008 / IE 8 (with and without compatibility mode)
    both systems have .NET 4.0 and Silverlight 4 installed.

here is a link so you can see for your self;
    ** Link removed, was my personal dev machine and i don't need it getting hit a bunch :) **
    Monday, May 24, 2010 2:44 PM

Answers

•  Is windowless an HTML5-specific thing? IE doesn't support HTML5 yet but most other browsers do. It might also be a CSS 3 (or whatever the newest version is) thing, IE is horrible about adopting new standards.

No, Windowless works in IE. 

Adam,

I just viewed your page with IE8 and Firefox, both works. The flying out menu under "Team" shows up correctly on both browser.

Monday, May 24, 2010 3:05 PM

All replies

•  Is windowless an HTML5-specific thing? IE doesn't support HTML5 yet but most other browsers do. It might also be a CSS 3 (or whatever the newest version is) thing, IE is horrible about adopting new standards.

Monday, May 24, 2010 2:59 PM

No, Windowless works in IE. 

Adam,

I just viewed your page with IE8 and Firefox, both works. The flying out menu under "Team" shows up correctly on both browser.

Monday, May 24, 2010 3:05 PM
  • mott55,
    Windowless is an initialization parameter for the Silverlight Plug-in Object in the browser.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc838156(VS.95).aspx

sladapter,
    Yup, sure thing once i check it on my roommates machine it works perfectly must be something off with my machine which is something i can live with.

Thanks to both of you for your help i will be editing my original post to remove the link.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 5:52 PM
  • Nope, I'm experiencing the same problem. IE9 with windowless set to "true" will show an empty page. also, setting the browser mode to 8 or 7 doesn't solve anything. Chrome and FF are showing it properly.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:41 AM
  • Any luck finding a fix? I'm having same issue on IE9.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:31 PM