none
RIA Service or ADO.NET Data Service?

Question

• Does it mean RIA Service will replace ADO.NET Data Service as more simple solution for siliverlight business application?

If use ADO.NET Data Service, the tiers(layers) of app can be set very clearly. For example,

Server side: Data Access(entity framework), Service (ADO.NET Data Service, or WCF)

Client side:  Model(Service reference), Control or View Model, View(WPF)

but with RIA service, how to keep the tiers(layers), so that apps are under good way for maintainability? Client and server side reference each other will lost the tiers(layers) strategy.

Advices please.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 9:57 AM

All replies

• The point where I am confused is that is RIA Service built on top of ADO.Net Data Services? Or is it separate framework built on top of WCF directly?

Saturday, March 21, 2009 11:40 AM
  • RIA Services doesn't CURRENTLY sit atop Astoria/ADO.NET Data Services. However, the team has stated they will be integrating with it in the future. RIA services go a stop beyond Astoria by providing an Application Service layer that allows you to abstract standard crud operations with strong business logic operations. In addition it gives you metadata driven validation (both client and server side) and a bunch of other goodies.

So it's not so much a matter of RIA OR Astoria but rather RIA AND Astoria.

WRT best practices and RIA services, I'm working on a post showing how to incorporate RIA Services into a best practices environment.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:04 PM
  •  With ADO.NET Data Service, if it's hosted on a web site, it can be accessed by third party app even non-MS platform with Restful web service.

But with IRA service, is it only for silverlight application? If you use vs 2008 and add service reference in a project, discover can find out all ADO.NET Data service or other wfc services, but can't find out any service for RIA service, where does it hide? what's the http address(like http://localhost:1234/....) to access those RIA services?

Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:52 PM
  • RIA services is currently proprietary to Silverlight and it isn't discoverable. If you look at the generated code you can see the actual url, the RIA service is hosted in DataService.axd.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:15 PM
  •  So RIA service is only for sliverlight or only for those RIA applications built with VS 2008?

Sunday, March 22, 2009 8:00 AM
  • Hi Ken;

There is a new .Net Ria Overview that shows a good diagram about the .Net Ria's position in this space as far as being a middle tier between data source and data consumer. There is also a great video from Nikhil from Wed MIX09 that goes over that. I think once you read the overview, you'll get a better picture.

I'm half way reading the overview and it's very informative.
    Hope this helps!

Sunday, March 22, 2009 10:22 AM
  • RIA is intended to make n-tier development easier and faster, hence RIA is not only for Silverlight. You can use RIA with any presentation tier, including ASP.net application. But I am not sure about WPF / WinForms application as I haven't try it out yet.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 11:15 AM
  • There is supposed to be something similar for WPF some day but how is it supposed to work with ASP.NET?

Edit: Oops, missed an entire feature.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 11:42 AM
  •  For ASP.net project, you need to add references to

System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations
    System.Web.DomainServices.WebControls

Both assemblies can be found at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\RIA Services\v1.0\Libraries\Server

Then, you will have access to DomainDataSource control. 

Add the control to your web form, fill in the appropriate properties just like in Silverlight project.Then assign it to the data source property of any UI control like GridView.

That is all.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 11:02 PM
  • I'm not sure what's going to happen but right now I think ADO.NET Data Services is much more mature. But besides that we can make use of .NET RIA Services for more different things. It doesn't need to be Database or Entity related (http://mark.mymonster.nl/tag/ria-services/).

But one of the things I want to have in RIA Services before I would call it Enterprise ready is the ability to put the generated code in a separate library instead of the Silverlight Application project.

Friday, May 01, 2009 6:28 AM
  • But one of the things I want to have in RIA Services before I would call it Enterprise ready is the ability to put the generated code in a separate library instead of the Silverlight Application project.

You can actually do that now, http://silverlight.net/forums/p/83355/194567.aspx. You can either use the Prism style make everything an application project hack or just modify the project file directly. I doubt that particular limitation will still be in the next CTP.

Friday, May 01, 2009 7:01 AM
  • Thanks, didn't know that one.
    Friday, May 01, 2009 9:13 AM
  •  WRT best practices and RIA services, I'm working on a post showing how to incorporate RIA Services into a best practices environment.

I will look forward to this post. I am sure many other developers will be waiting for some guidnace on that. Thanks for taking the intiative!

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 9:29 PM
  • Hi , Tha main idea behind RIA is to make it look like a two tier App. So whatever you have as a datastore that will be exposed through the DomainService which inturn gives a Service layer behind the scenes. Not only you can use RIA for fetching data but also for fetching other services like ASP.Net membership provider etc. Thanks, Thani
    Friday, May 08, 2009 3:26 PM
  • ADO.NET Data Services is not being replaced with RIA Services. It just made sense to encapsulate this body of work to propel RIA Services forward into areas where the teams could focus the most.

ADO.NET Data Services will still be made available for folks whom wish to not adopt RIA Services.

hth.

Monday, May 11, 2009 12:01 AM
  • Not to sidetrack or add another confusion, but as I understand RIA services and SL3 allows to work on applications offline using Isolated storage.

Where does sync framework fit into this picture? Will there be sync framework for Silverlight? Will there be any efforts on that if RIA is offerring that feature?

How do sync framework, ADO.NET services and RIA services work together? I was going to start a separate thread, but thought since we are talking abt the 2 of the three already, this will be a better place.

Please help to clear the confusion.

Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:39 PM