none
Ria Services and WPF

Question

•  Hi All,

I'm trying to get a .Net RIA service going with a WPF client.
    All works out fine, until I reference the client-part of the Ria libraries
    in my WPF project.

When I compile the WPF project after that, I get this build error:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft.WinFX.targets(294,9): error MC1000: Unknown build error, 'The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)' 

Has this anything to do with the fact that silverlight applications use different dll versions (like System.dll) than
    my WPF client application? Is there any way to get around this? Or a sample with a WPF client? :)
    Or is this kind of scenario just not supported for now?

Thanks for your time,
    Koen

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:05 AM

Answers

• A full DomainContext implementation has always been in the pipeline for WPF, where in the pipeline is unknown.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 12:16 PM
  • No, the WPF client is a v.Next addition to RIA Services.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:38 PM

All replies

• Has this anything to do with the fact that silverlight applications use different dll versions (like System.dll) than
    my WPF client application? Is there any way to get around this? Or a sample with a WPF client? :)
    Or is this kind of scenario just not supported for now?

For the whole RIA Services, the answers are:

Yes, No, No, Correct

For the DomainService the answers are:

Yes, Yes, Yes, Not go-live quality

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:32 AM
  •  Thanks for the quick reply.

However, i think the "Domain ADO.net Data Service" which is used in that example adds little value to the regular "ADO.net Data Service":
    - Client-side changes are still not implicitly tracked by the generated client-side context
    - Relations must still be explicitly added to the context

Is there anything coming up like this:
    Create a .Net Ria Service Class Library "RiaProject"
       -> Use the "RiaProject.Web" part with a DomainService in an ASP Web project, or even better a WCF Service application
            (so that the communication protocol http , tcp, named pipes, ..) is still configurable
       -> Add the generated client part, "RiaProject" to a WPF application
       -> The System.Windows.Ria.Data.DomainContext can then client-side be used, and implicitly takes care of change-tracking,
           newly added objects, concurrency issues, lazy fetching, ..

Is this wishful thinking or is this in the pipeline?

Thanks for insight,
    Koen

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 11:57 AM
  • A full DomainContext implementation has always been in the pipeline for WPF, where in the pipeline is unknown.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 12:16 PM
  • RIA WCF Services has passed some further down the pipeline..
    Any news on this issue yet?

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:31 PM
  • No, the WPF client is a v.Next addition to RIA Services.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:38 PM
  • You can still call the DomainService from WPF, but you will not get the DomainContext: http://blogs.msdn.com/brada/archive/2009/11/22/ria-services-a-domainservice-is-a-wcf-service-add-service-reference.aspx

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:43 PM
  •  Is there any progress in this area in .Net 4.0?

Thanks,
    Koen

Monday, May 03, 2010 2:48 AM
  • any updates with WPF and RIA Services?
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:35 PM
  • Again, that is a v.Next feature. We don't have the final version of v.first yet.
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Are there any updates for true support of RIA Services in WPF?  It's been nearly half a year since the last post on this thread, so I figured it would be great to get an update for the community (especially since RIA Services SP1 Beta just landed).

-Sam Mueller 

Sunday, October 31, 2010 11:04 PM
  • We need guidance on this important feature.  Will WPF support make it into SP1?  If not, then when?

Friday, November 05, 2010 7:02 PM
  • We have SP1 beta and it does not have WPF support so there is your answer. AFAIK, Microsoft hasn't made any public statement on WPF support for WCF RIA Services.

EDIT: Just wanted to point out that when this thread was "current" we were hearing that WPF was not going to be in the initial release and I was responding accordingly to the question. Looking at this thread out of context, it looks like I was saying that I knew that WPF was going to be in the next release and that isn't the case, at the time planning for V2 of RIA Services hadn't happened as V1 wasn't even complete yet.

Monday, November 08, 2010 12:08 AM
  • I have a crazy idea Colin, and I need you to tell me whether you think I am insane or not.

Do you think it is possible to take the source code from System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client/System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client.Web and recompile it against the Client Profile?  With SP1's T4 client generation, it should take care of any codegen incompatibilities.  And if there are codegen problems, then the T4 templates can just be tweaked.

What do you think?  More trouble than it's worth?

--Sam

Monday, November 08, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Crazy? Maybe. Illegal? Yes.

That is far as I am willing to discuss that idea at the moment.

Monday, November 08, 2010 2:24 PM
  • I think your best bet is to have a look at EF 4's Self Tracking Entities.

At least, if you're looking for the N-Tier changetracking features of RIA Services.

Regards,
    Koen

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:07 AM
  • It's not just about client side tracking, but also about writing validation code once.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:01 PM
  • Indeed.  This is a big indicator of the future of WPF.  Does anyone have any samples that go beyond the basic Service Reference technique - so that code can be somewhat shared between WPF and Silverlight?  Both XAML and underlying code are affected.  In particular, I am looking for WPF versions of Entity, *Context, OperationBase.  Willing to do #if SILVERLIGHT defs, but it looks like there is too much to do to make this work.

Any advice?  What are folks doing out there?

Respectfully,

Tim

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:33 AM
  • If you want something that works in WPF as well as in Silverlight (like we did), you should not go for RIA services, but fall back on other technologies which are shared between the frameworks.

Like mentioned, we decided to go with Self-Tracking entities to have at least all the change-tracking capabilities. For validation, we created a framework with which we inject validation once onto the model.

Hard things to simulate are the distributed linq queries which RIA services provide.

Regards,
    Koen

Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:58 AM
  • Could anyone tell me how can I get data from a model(edmx) into a datagrid(dataform,listview...) in a WPF Application with or without RIA Services ?

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:46 AM
  • Almost a year later... :P

If I'm going to make a LOB application, I'd rather do it in WPF since Silverlight development carries a lot of overhead in additional assemblies and compile time.

What is the progress on WPF support with RIA Services?

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:45 PM
  • What is the progress on WPF support with RIA Services?

There is none. WCF RIA Services either supports or is having support worked on for  Silverlight (RTM), JQuery (beta), IPhone (alpha), Android(alpha), WinRT (alpha), and generally anything else you can think of that can use either JQuery or Phone Gap. They are not working on a WPF client for WCF RIA Services and they are not planning on it either.

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Thank you for this, Colin.  This has really helped out as far as strategy and vision goes.  And your post on the RIA Services Blog is pure genius.  You nailed it spot-on.  Much appreciation for that.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:40 AM