Can't uninstall Silverlight

Question

• When I go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Microsoft Silverlight, there is no option to uninstall. The only options the dialog box displays are "Size," "Used," and "Click here for support information." There is no "Uninstall" button. I've tried reinstalling Silverlight but the dialog box from the installer says that the Silverlight is already installed, then gives me no option to reinstall or override the current installation.

And I can't repair it from the "Click here for support information" because then I get a Windows installer dialog box, followed by another Windows installer dialog box that says "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. It displays a path on my C: driveto a nonexistant directory and file.

I'm stuck in a loop. Can't install, can't uninstall. What options do I have?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:31 AM

Answers

• Are you the administrator of that machine? seems like you are not having "uninstallation" permission or something. If you have full right, please show the screenshot what you are seeing.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:47 AM
  • Hi,

I appeared to have almost the exact same problem a little while ago.  I seemed to have an older version of silverlight already on my computer, but that wouldn't uninstall.

My solution that worked for me is to use the Windows install cleanup utility: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301.

Select Silverlight from the list, and then download Silverlight again and reinstall.

Do this at your own risk, since this could damage your original install files, but as I said it seemed to work for me.

Rgds

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:23 PM

All replies

• Weel i tried this in my PC..

so i found that I have 2 entries for Silver Light

1st says

Microsoft SilverLight                                                                         Size         4.41MB

Click here for support information                                                          Used        rarely

Change    Remove

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Says

Microsoft SilverLight  1.1.20926.0                                                Installed on 2007/12/30            

Click here for support information                                                                                                                                                      

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May be you are looking at th second one and not able to find the main .. or it is not there some how..

so i will suggest remove all the physical files for Silverlight..

and use some good trusted Registry cleaner

and then try to reinstall it.

I hope it will work

"If this answer helps you then mark it as answer"

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Thanks Ravi. I'll try it.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 2:58 PM
  • No.. Don't do manually.

Just remove it from 1st one "Microsoft SilverLight    Size         4.41MB"

Uninstalling the software manually is not a good idea.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

I'm also facing the same problem, i uninstalled 1.0, rebooted my computer, then installed 1.1 alpha, after doing these steps, stilll the broswer is asking me to install the silverlight 1.1....
    And, i repeated above steps 3 times...

I'm also kinda stuck in this loop...

Anybody knows what's the problem...

Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:56 AM
  • There is no "remove" option. That's the problem.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:02 AM
  • Are you the administrator of that machine? seems like you are not having "uninstallation" permission or something. If you have full right, please show the screenshot what you are seeing.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:47 AM
  • Hi,

I appeared to have almost the exact same problem a little while ago.  I seemed to have an older version of silverlight already on my computer, but that wouldn't uninstall.

My solution that worked for me is to use the Windows install cleanup utility: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301.

Select Silverlight from the list, and then download Silverlight again and reinstall.

Do this at your own risk, since this could damage your original install files, but as I said it seemed to work for me.

Rgds

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:23 PM
  • It worked for me too,thanks

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 8:56 AM
  • Hello everyone,

I'm having the exact same problem on my Vista Home Premium SP1, no uninstall option, other programs can be uninstalled and I am in Admin account. I tried with UAC on and off, neither worked. Screen is in Dutch but lay-out is obiously the same, so that shouldn't be a problem, offered solution here doesn't work and is for WinXP for what I can see.

edit: I guess it only works in Internet Explorer. that's too bad, still a good product though, hope Firefox will be supported soon (and that it will update as well, haha)

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:48 AM
  • Hi there,

I recently messed up my SilverLight setup ..... then I tried to uninstall currently installed SilverLight versions and again install SilverLight ver 1.0 but couldn't. I am running XP on my machine.

I believe I successfully removed SilverLight 1.0 SDK but am not able to remove ver 1.0 run time, it gives me following error when I try to "Remove" from "Add or Remove Programs":

"This patch package couldn't be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package"

When I try to install SilverLight ver 1.0 it fails to install saying "A newer version is already installed on your machine..." and with SilverLight ver 2.0 it fails without giving any reasons. Can someone suggest how to successfully uninstall all the currently installed version of SilverLight ?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:06 AM
  • I get exactly the same message when trying to uninstall version 1: "This patch package couldn't be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package"

I can't upgrade to version 2 either; "Installation failed", presumably because of the broken previous install - it doesn't have much in it's "Program Files (x86)" folder (3 DLLs and the update executable) - but it does function in the browser.

At the Silverlight website there is no way to reinstall version 1 to try to clean this up, because it says the "requested" version is installed.

Windows update claims there is an urgent update available, and tries to install it, but fails with no error message.

System: Win XP x64 edition with all other patches, and IE 8 latest beta. 2GB RAM and plenty of HD free.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 7:46 AM
  • Thanks for the tip on using the Windows Install Clean-up Utility...I had completely forgotten it existed...worked like a charm, just as it has whenever I had run into weird stuff like this before.

BTW, I also used it to remove the NY Times Reader which was not working properly and also refused to uninstall...

Maybe MS needs to include this utility in the Control Panel or even embedded within the Add/Remove Programs module itself...it just works.

Again thanks ya made my day a lot more pleasant.  :)

Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Awesome! Thanks coolman1232, it seems to work fine with my Silverlight 2.0 problem too. I have similar problem, can't install/uninstall.

Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

Rgds

Thank you so much for this.It worked for me as well.When you install certain files like silverlight or IE files if you install them and the component out of order then it is impossible to unistall them.But this worked.THANKS!!!

Sunday, September 06, 2009 8:55 PM
  • I get exactly the same message when trying to uninstall version 1: "This patch package couldn't be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package"

I can't upgrade to version 2 either; "Installation failed", presumably because of the broken previous install - it doesn't have much in it's "Program Files (x86)" folder (3 DLLs and the update executable) - but it does function in the browser.

At the Silverlight website there is no way to reinstall version 1 to try to clean this up, because it says the "requested" version is installed.

Windows update claims there is an urgent update available, and tries to install it, but fails with no error message.

System: Win XP x64 edition with all other patches, and IE 8 latest beta. 2GB RAM and plenty of HD free.

USE THE CLEAN UP UTILITY. I HAD "EXACT" MESSAGE YOU DID TRIED EVERYTHING AND NOTHING WORKED.CAME HERE SAW THAT POST WITH THE CLEANER LINK AND DOWNLOADED IT AND IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM

Sunday, September 06, 2009 8:59 PM
  • I need to install Microsoft Silverlight 3 in order to open MSN Money Portfolio manager.  It fails to install because I have Silverlight 2 already in the computer which could not be removed.  The error message says "This patch package could not be opened.  Verify that patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer patch package."

I could not understand what is patch package and where it could be found.  As result I cannot remove the old version of Silverflight 2, so that Silverflight 3 can be installed to my computer.

Please help

Sunday, November 08, 2009 12:26 PM
  •  Misoonchun: As we all have had this problem the best known way to do this is thru  the clean up tool listed a mentioned above. Just be careful in doing so. The reason may of us have had this problem is because at some point between installing silverlight 2 and tried to update to 3 or uninstall 2 to get 3 we have restored our computers. If you restore your computer then silverlight 2 is lost in between the two points thus the only way to fix it is thru the clean up  tool.It worked just fine for me. But as always be careful with it and as your own risk.

Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:37 PM
  • When I go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Microsoft Silverlight, there is no option to uninstall. The only options the dialog box displays are "Size," "Used," and "Click here for support information." There is no "Uninstall" button. I've tried reinstalling Silverlight but the dialog box from the installer says that the Silverlight is already installed, then gives me no option to reinstall or override the current installation.

And I can't repair it from the "Click here for support information" because then I get a Windows installer dialog box, followed by another Windows installer dialog box that says "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. It displays a path on my C: driveto a nonexistant directory and file.

I'm stuck in a loop. Can't install, can't uninstall. What options do I have?

Thanks

Monday, November 09, 2009 1:25 PM
  • My solution that worked for me is to use the Windows install cleanup utility: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301.

As stated before. Use this as it worked for me and many many others. This was pulled straight from coolman's post. This is your only opition left other than taking computer into a shop to be rebooted and reset which means it would be wiped out and all information saved would be lost unless saved on a memory stick or something. This clean up tool worked fine for me.

Monday, November 09, 2009 6:44 PM
  •  Hi Everyone,

I solved my problem -- but not as described above.

I had already tried everything mentioned in the above posts, including add/remove programs, the install clean-up utility, deleting the program folder, and deleting the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Silverlight key.

In the end, I used RegScan to find all the reg keys that mention "silverlight" and deleted them all.  That solved the problem. I then had no issues re-installing Silverlight.

I'd be happy to list all the keys that I removed, but they are no longer in my registry. Rather they are in a .reg (export) file, and for the life of me I can't find an efficient way to list just the key names (with absolute addresses) without listing all the associated key values.  Because some of the values are hundreds and hundreds of characters long, it is just too odious to include the values in any list.

If you know a way to *list* the *absolute address* of *keys only* that are stored in a *.reg file*, let me know, and I will share the list.  But please don't suggest a bunch of registry viewers and editors (most of which I have already tried) that do not do exactly what I described in the previous sentence.  Rather, just download RegScan, repeat the process for yourself, and try to print your own list of the keys.

AS ALWAYS, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK WHEN YOU EDIT YOUR REGISTRY, PARTICULARLY IN THE UNINFORMED FASHION THAT I DESCRIBE.  SO BE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR ENTIRE INSTALLATION -- NOT JUST YOUR REGISTRY - BEFORE YOU BEGIN. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Good luck!

Jay

PS: I actually only deleted those keys that looked important to me (since some identical keys were spread across dozens and dozens of folders), and somehow deleting that subset was enough to re-enable the install process. No problems of any kind yet.

Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:43 PM
  • I had the same problem with the Silverlight Program.  I had a computer issue,  I did a system restore then did a registry import from a saved registry that I had as a backup.  Several programs where in conflict and turmoil!  I used the Windows Install Cleanup Clean program. I 'm not sure from where on the internet that I had downloaded it, but I found it here for everyones reference3, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301.

Make sure the explorer is shut off, then go back to windows update page and it will load loke a charm.  Good luck :)  Bob

Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:00 PM
  • Look at the advice from coolman123 below, the  - windows install cleanup utility - is the one thing that has never let me down when it comes to removing stuborn things.  I had it on an older system and went to microsoft download centre, but I couldn't find it.  so follow the link that coolman provided to the exact microsoft page  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301  when on that page the download link is set about half way down.  When it's downloading/installing it looks as though it is used for office stuff only but it's not. 

Monday, January 25, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Have a look into the following blog post:  http://bit.ly/ijjSD

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:57 AM
  • Just in case you ever get a similar problem, of not been able to remove a program that you need to in order to install a newer one, you should download the ''Windows Installer Cleanup Utility''.  Have you ever tried to deleat via ''Add or Remove Programs'' and found that it wount let you for 1 reason or another?  I have, often, but this microsoft tool has never let me down yet.  If you do download it, the download box has a ''Microsoft Office'' header, don't worry, it's not just for office applications.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 9:21 PM
  • If you still get things like that happening download the ''Windows Installer Cleanup Utility'' it's never let me down yet when it comes to getting rid of programs I can't get rid of through  Add or Remove Programs

Saturday, February 06, 2010 9:25 PM
  • i had the same problem....an easier way i found was to install Revo uninstaller thru CNET. once you install Revo look for silver light in programs and click uninstall... it might have an error as mine did (error said could not access network location) click cancel and ok...then continue with uninstall... I clicked on advanced so it can search for all entries of silverlight and follow instructions. I did click select all and delete. I then closed the browser and went to silver light web site to install and I had no errors installing. Now silver light works fine with no problems. I hope this helps!

Friday, February 19, 2010 4:02 PM
  • OK, I've done everything on this thread and Silverlight still won't uninstall/ install.
    Windows 7, 64bit, fully updated, stable system.
    Have tried uninstalling via Programs and Features- Silverlight does not show.
    Tried Windows Install Clean up- it initially showed there, uninstalled, no joy in reinstalling Silverlight and it no longer shows in Clean Up.
    Revo Uninstaller showed it, ran it, installation again won't work.
    Tried regedit to delete the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Silverlight key- it's not there.
    Tried deleting the files from the program files from the x86 subdirectory- nothing there.

I've downloaded the file three times and tried installing as administrator. Tried installing via IE8. No joy.

I keep getting an ID 1514 message.

Suggestions?

Friday, February 19, 2010 7:56 PM
  •  Now this has worked for me every time I have had a problem uninstalling anything, and it's free!!

Go to http://www.ccleaner.com

download the cleaner then click on the "tools" icon and uninstall the program from there.

Easy peasy!!

Monday, February 22, 2010 10:37 AM
  • Since I'm not getting any response to the thread I started  and this one seems to be attracting attention, I'm pasting my problem here.  Hope that isn't a rule or etiquette violation.

I've been trying (for the last 7 1/2 hours) to watch Netflix online but it says I have to install Silverlight.  I thought I already had it installed and when I tried to download and install it, it failed because it says it is already installed.  So I  tried to uninstall Silverlight, but it wouldn't because it couldn't find the silverlight.msi file.  I looked for it everywhere including my back-up files on my external hard drive and it is no where to be found.   I have read just about every thread on this forum regarding this or a related problem and tried the suggested fixes and still no luck.  This is what I have tried:

uninstall silverblight: failed

uninstall & reinstall IE8 32 bit: no change

installed and used Windows Installer Clean Up utility: no change

manually deleted silverlight: no change

scoured my entire hard drive of any silverlight associated file or data (including cookies), deleted them and then emptied the recycle bin:no change

ran CCleaner  (and removed the back up registry file a removable flash drive): no change

performed an animal sacrifice while chanting in Urdu: no change

There is now no remnant of silverblight anywhere on my hard drive that I can find (with the possible exception of the D: Recovery partition) and between every step I rebooted and have had the external hard drive disconnected.  Every time I attempt to install silverblight it says it is already installed (it does not show up on IE's add-on list either). Also, whether I run the install from the temp file or save the .exe file and then run it, it does not give me the option of where to install the files, it just goes directly to install window and then tells it failed because it thinks it is already there.

I'm using an HP Pavillion dv7 1232nr notebook with an AMD Turion dual-core RM-74 2.20 GHz chip, 4 gigs RAM, Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2 with all updates current  and IE 8 32 bit version.

Monday, February 22, 2010 6:08 PM
  • Thanks, but "been there, done that". Ccleaner run multiple times and still no joy.

What other registry entries could be modified or deleted to finally get this problem solved?

TIA
    Paul

Monday, February 22, 2010 10:01 PM
  •  This is absolute garbage. I have been trying to get Silverlight working in Windows 7 64bit for almost a WEEK now, and there is DEFINITELY something wrong! I have tried EVERYTHING on this site and nothing solves it. Microsoft needs to come up with a Silverlight UNINSTALLER that CORRECTLY REMOVES ALL SILVERLIGHT ENTRIES on the PC. Then they need to fix WHY it won't install in Windows 7. C'MON MICROSOFT GET WITH IT or I'm finally buying an Apple. This is ridiculous that I can't watch video in my browsers. Especially the Olympics the last week. SICK OF THIS CRAP!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:42 AM
  •  I had the same problem and tried ccleaner and it did not work then I tried Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and it worked fine.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 9:53 AM
  • Two quick questions

First how do you know if you are set up as the administrator, and if not, how can you change the administrator if you are the second owner, or can you not change that.?  I'm sure I'm not, it's a used Lap Top

I was having the same problem trying to uninstall SLight

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:33 PM
  • Have many others been able to use the Windows install cleanup utility as described above?  I'd like to see how many people were successful with that before trying it on my own machine.

Thanks!

Thursday, February 25, 2010 2:59 AM
  • It didn't work for me.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:28 PM
  • ***I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!*** The following email was sent to me by Microsoft support. There is a fix.reg file that needs to be run and it will fix all of the registry entries. Read the email and request the file from Nancy. It works great! Finally! Also, you're all welcome. :) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dear Mark, Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Support Service. My name is Nancy, and I am glad to work with you. For your reference, the case ID for this service request is xxx xxxxxxxxxx. You can contact me by sending an email to v-30nany@mssupport.microsoft.com with the case ID in the subject line. First, I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to your support request. Please be assured that you have successfully contacted the correct support team and I will be working with you to address your concerns as quickly as possible. From your description, I understand that Microsoft Silverlight cannot be uninstalled, and Windows Clean-Up Utility have been used but did not work. If there has been any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know. I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you. Before we proceeding, I would like to explain that Silverlight is a web browser plug-in which is used to play online media webpage developed by the web provider. It is recommended to install it. This issue may be caused by a damaged Microsoft Silverlight component. Please follow the steps below to uninstall Silverlight: Step 1: Run the fix tool =============== 1 .Download and extract the attachment "fix.zip" of this mail to Desktop. 2. Double click the extracted file "fix.reg" and press "OK" to import it to the system. Step 2: uninstall Microsoft Silverlight ======================= 1. Close all programs. Click "Start", click "Run", type "appwiz.cpl" and then "Enter". 2. In the installed programs list, please locate "Microsoft Silverlight" and click the "Remove" button. 3. Click "Yes" when the message "Are you sure you want to remove Microsoft Silverlight from your computer" appears. Then the program will be uninstalled. Step 3: Install Microsoft Silverlight ========================== 1. Please go to the following website: http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/handlers/getsilverlight.ashx 2. Click Save to save the Silverlight.exe file on to the Desktop. 3. Double click Silverlight.exe to install it. Does Microsoft Silverlight install properly? If not, please follow the steps below to get the log files if there is any error message. Microsoft Silverlight log files ======================== 1. Click the "Start" menu, type "%temp%" (without the quotation marks) in the Search Bar and Press Enter. 2. Locate the files SilverlightUIxxxx.txt and SilverlightMSIxxxx.txt in the opened folder. 3. Please send them to me at v-30nany@mssupport.microsoft.com. Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon please browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on "Attach". Please try the above steps and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to let me know. It's my pleasure to be of assistance. If you have any feedback regarding Microsoft support, we would be glad to hear from you. If you would like to provide your feedback directly to my manager, Johnny, please send your email to v-30jshi@mssupport.microsoft.com. My manager will be happy to hear your comments and suggestions. I look forward to your reply. Best Regards, Nancy v-30nany@mssupport.microsoft.com Microsoft Windows Vista Support Professional You asked us to make everyday tasks faster and easier, to make your PC work the way you want it to, and to make it possible to do new things. And that's exactly what we've done. Learn more about Windows 7®!
    Friday, February 26, 2010 4:10 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue

Is it possible to receive the FIX by email please ?

marc.janssens@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance

Friday, February 26, 2010 7:13 AM
  • fix tool: 1. create a .txt file 2. edit Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Silverlight] "Version"=- [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Silverlight] "No Updates"=dword:00000002 3. save as "fix.reg" note: it is important to save as .reg file 4. a fix tool create!
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:55 AM
  •  Thanks I was having the same problem. But this appears to have fixed it.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:40 PM
  •  Glad to have found this post. I was having a problem with silverlight also

Thanks!

Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:02 PM
  • Great info buddyBig Smile let me try it out and post whether it works or not ?
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 4:43 AM
  •  I managed to remove this with the 'windows install cleanup utility' however when running a search I still find files relating to silverlight? Do I need to do something else to completely remove it?

Thanks

Sunday, March 07, 2010 5:02 AM
  • jjosh, I Used my regedit (paste in the run Window) and searched for Silverlight. Then I deleted every thing I found. In fact, delete EVERY instance of SL you can find, yes. Then follow instructions.
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 4:31 PM
  •  Thanks -- I had that problem and tried your solution. It worked for me. Smile

Monday, March 08, 2010 1:54 PM
  • I'm glad I could help you Rebecca. Silverlight is pretty nice once you can get it running right! ;)
    Monday, March 08, 2010 11:21 PM
  • OMFG! I've tried EVERYTHING that others posted in this forum and NOTHING is working!!

I'm getting SO SICK OF THIS CRAP!

I've tried to uninstall silverlight from "add or remove programs", wouldn't let me! some stupid prompt comes up telling me that I need access to some stupid file.

I've tried to "regedit" in the start menu

I've deleted EVERYTHING that has ANYTHING to do with silverlight

I went back to microsoft silverlight and tried RE install the dang thing and it STILL says It's already installed on my computer!

NOTHING IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H-E-L-P    PLEASE !!    Devil

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:20 AM
  • What you are feeling is the force of monopoly power.  How long has this thread been going on? Since January of 2008.  Well over two years.  And what has Microsoft done about it?  Nothing, nada.  This forum is on their website. They have to know about it.  Do they think we all have lively imaginations? Then why do we all imagine the same thing?  Do they think we're stupid? Then why are there so many knowledgeable posts in this thread?  No, it's because they don't give a damn. They could do a patch. Or at the very least come on this forum and give us a workaround. But no-o. They are sitting pretty and letting this slide.

Fortunately their monopoly power, like all monopoly power, is not complete. When I watch a movie, I switch to Firefox. No problemas there. 

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:31 PM
  • But MS is trying so hard to stabilize SL. 

Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:07 AM
  • Here is the edited fix instructions. Why Microsoft sent me the .fix and hasn't helped everyone by POSTING or ADDING the damn fix to the software is beyond me. I feel like I am working for them without being paid but I am happy to help you guys out, knowing how frustrating this can be. Just email me and I will send you the .fix file. Step 1: Download and extract the attachment "fix.zip" to Desktop. 2. Double click the extracted file "fix.reg" and press "OK" to import it to the system. Step 2: Uninstall Microsoft Silverlight 1. Close all programs. 2. Click "Start", click "Run", type "appwiz.cpl" and then "Enter". 3. In the installed programs list, please locate "Microsoft Silverlight" and click the "Remove" button. 4. Click "Yes" when the message "Are you sure you want to remove Microsoft Silverlight from your computer" appears. Then the program will be uninstalled. Step 3: Install Microsoft Silverlight 1. Please go to the following website: http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/handlers/getsilverlight.ashx 2. Click Save to save the Silverlight.exe file on to the Desktop. 3. Double click Silverlight.exe to install it.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:21 AM
  • Hi and hope my problem is a simple one.  I press the remove tab in the only Micrsoft Silverlight I have; and it says the installation source for my application is not available and won't uninstall.  Therefore I am plagued by Silverlight to upgrade everytime I go to MSN, and the new install fails.  Big circle.  By the way my Microsoft Silverlight is 9.94MB.   Thanks in advance

Saturday, March 27, 2010 11:48 PM
  •  Good  Day All

Environment: Windows 7 - 32 bit Ultimate

I have been using Windows 7, since Windows 7 RC1, December 2009.

On This PC it has Windows 7 - 32 Bit Ulitmate with
    user account with Administrator rights

Below were the steps I have to Uninstall Silverlight

Tried to Used Control Panel, Programs, Program and Features,

Redmond's Silverlight version.

Installed On, 9/24/2009, Size 41 MB, Version, 3.0.40818.0

Clicked on "Uninstall"

System Response, with Windows Installer Dialog Box

Small Red Circle Icon with X

No valid sequence could be found for the set of patches.

with OK dialog button.

Yeah, Bend Over....

Like  The Three Stooges

Thursday, April 01, 2010 12:39 PM
  •  Hi, maybe you can try using Revo Uninstaller.  It is a pretty good program which can help delete all files related to the program.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 12:44 PM
  •  I have POSTED the FIX above.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 1:45 PM
  •  Your welcome Smile

Friday, April 02, 2010 12:03 AM
  •  Thanks for helping

Saturday, April 03, 2010 3:32 AM
  • Mark

Will this work with windows 7.  I notice the support team response from the Vista team

thank you for sharing

The concept for the community is contribute with other users and

transparency

Look at success of

Linux,

Open Source movement

and its parent Unix OS (AT&T),

System Integration firms

which enable college kids and others to find some

sort of employment and chance to contribute to

common good cause.

Beside there exist billable hours out there for software service support.

Good things come back to you later...

I know since I attend user group in both in general area

Yes Redmond ( is like Ren and Stempy ) but they provide the tools we

use in corp world and home

Cheers

Saturday, April 03, 2010 11:26 AM
  •  Yes, it works with Windows 7. I use 64bit as well. As far as "billable hours" is concerned, I'll talk it over with my accountant, lol. thanks for the laugh though. Big Smile

Saturday, April 03, 2010 10:29 PM
  •  If anyone needs the Silverlightfix.reg file, please email me at markschu@hotmail.com as I have it again!Big Smile

Monday, April 12, 2010 10:14 PM
  • damm I'm wedged removing VS2010RC; the entire installer shatters and nothing works. But i have had success just riping it out with CC Cleaner; or even worse, ERASE the program files, run the registry cleaner; all file references will become invalid; run the registry cleaner AGAIN, now the references to the file REFERENCES are invalid; run the registry cleaner again, and you should get rid of any dangling references to file locations or collections of file locations. There was a MSIinventory tool that walks the installation registry hive but it keeps along and I need to tinker with it to get it to output to a file. We need a good tool to keep this stuff tamed. Installer cleanup did not work under windows 7 64 bit. Wish me luck; i'm tearing out more RC and Beta stuff and fake out the SL4 and VS2010 installer. Next step is a repair install from the install CD or fresh disk format and install... What tinkertoy ! dB
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Hi Stratman69, Your post was worthy for me to solve this problem. Now I can install and uninstall Silverlight from my PC whenever I want. Now I must move on to correct another issue with VS2010/SL4.0, but this one with Silverlight installation, I think, was a prior issue. Thanks again ...
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 10:29 AM
  •  Glad I could help. Please up my rep if have helped you as I have a very low self esteem and this helps me out! Wink

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:42 PM
  •  SIR,ONCE THE MICROSOFT SILVERLIGHT DOWNLOADER OPTION WAS SHOWN IN THE INTERNET EXPLORER HOMEPAGE ,I WAS TEMPTED TO DOWNLOAD IT AND THAT CAUSED THE WHOLE LOT OF PROBLEMS IN MY PC.I CAN NEITHER INSTALL ANY ANY SOFTWARE APPLICATION NOR CAN CAN I RUN ANY PROGRAM PROPERLY.BESIDES THAT I CANNOT INSTALL MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 2005 FOR REASONS I SUPPOSE TO BE THE PRESENCE OF MICROSOFT.NET FRAMEWORK 3.5SP1,MICROSOFT.NET FRAMEWORK 4 CLIENT PROFILE BETA 1& MICROSOFT.NET FRAMEWORK 4 EXTENDED BETA 1.SIR.THE SOFTWARE VISUAL STUDIO IS VERY ESSENTIAL AS PART OF MY COURSE OF STUDY.PLEASE TELL ME HOW CAN I INSTALL VISUAL STUDIO.NET WHEN IT IS NOT GETTING INSTALLED IN MY PC.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Hi BUDHADIT,

I was able to uninstall Silverlight using this advice from Stratman69:

***I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!*** The following email was sent to me by Microsoft support. There is a fix.reg file that needs to be run and it will fix all of the registry entries. Read the email and request the file from Nancy. It works great! Finally! Also, you're all welcome. :) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dear Mark, Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Support Service. My name is Nancy, and I am glad to work with you. For your reference, the  ... ... ... ...

Please follow this post in this thread to see if you can uninstall Silverlight. Once I was able to unistall/install Silverlight in a correct manner I could begin to solve the rest of my problems.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 6:49 AM
  • Big thanks for you! It works so well :)

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 4:48 PM
  • I apparently was successful in removing Silverlight. However, reinstalling is another story. The installer still says "install failed", but the silverlight website claims that i don't have it installed. I tried all the steps listed on this page to no avail. Please help  Sad
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:15 PM
  • See if you can access Silverlight folder under Program Files.

Sometimes wrong permission settings prevents from installing correctly or even running Silverlight apps.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:49 PM
  •  Dittos on the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility: it saves the day yet again!

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 11:01 AM
  • Microsoft recently removed the software removal tool from their website apparently because it conflicts with some features of office 2007.

but why exactly i am not sure... I have found a link to the old file on majorgeeks.com. I hope this helps some of you that are still having issues. The file name that this link points to is "msicuu2.exe"

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=4459&file=9&evp=fe1c76da3437592326a3d668d72bf8f5

If you are going to use this tool to remove a previous install of Silverlight i also recommend that you run ccleaner after the un- installation is complete to remove any old file associations in the registry. followed by a reboot then reinstall silverlight.

Also i have found that the 64bit version of IE8 (256bit Cipher) will also cause Silverlight to fail to load so i stick with the 32bit (128 bit Cipher) version.

Thursday, July 08, 2010 11:05 AM
  • This is the path the ultimately worked for me:

1. Get Cleanup Utility:
    http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=4459&file=9&evp=fe1c76da3437592326a3d668d72bf8f5

2. Download and launch the cleanup utility. It's very intuitive. You'll see a list of every app you own. Select Microsoft Silverlight from the list and hit the delete button. It's now gone.

3. Once Silverlight is deleted (in my case I needed to delete Version 4 to re-install version 3) THEN you can try to install whichever version of Silverlight you need.  (If you need version 3, here's the link: http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/handlers/getsilverlight.ashx?v=3.0)

You will probably get a, ""there's already a newer version silverlight" error message (yes, even after you've effectively deleted it). To get rid of the message and get on with your install you must:

4. Start Registry Editor:
    In Windows Vista, click Start , type regedit in the Start Search box, and the press Enter.
    In Windows XP, click Start , click Run , type regedit in the Open box and then click OK .
    (I don't have Windows 7).
    Locate and the click to select the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Silverlight
    After you select the key, select Delete from the Edit menu, and then click Yes when asked for confirmation.
    On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor

5. To be safe - restart your PC.

6. Re-instal Silverlight. You should now be ready to rock (it worked for me).

:-)

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:56 AM
  • After checking all the many discussions, I have found only one solution worked for me. This is in answer to the error message - missing msi or package not found. Requires editing the Registry and deleting the following key. Mine had a corrupted entry. Delete this entry in the registry, close down, restart computer, install Silverlight.exe and Bingo!

HKEY CLASSES ROOT
    Installer
    Products
    D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100

Sunday, September 12, 2010 10:59 PM
  • Wow,  something that finally worked after trying everthing else.

Thanks for the regedit advice.

Saturday, September 25, 2010 7:23 PM
  • Doesn't work for me. Used MS Uninstaller utility to remove entry, but Silverlight still thinks it's installed, althouth there's no entry in Add/Remove programs. That D731... key is not present in my registry, nor is any entry for silverlight.mis. Tried Revo uninstaller, no joy. I'm stuck.

GaryK

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:38 PM
  • Nicky, thanks for posting your solution, been working on this for three weeks and now

everything is working normal.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 3:05 PM
  • to fparriot and everyone else..

THIS IS HOW TO DO IT

1..DOWNLOAD REVO UNINSTALLER(FREE)

2FOLLOW THE PROMPTS TO DELETE ALL TRACE OF SILVERLITE

3..REINSTALL SILVERLITE4

SIMPLES

dont thank me all at once!!

UNLIKE A LOT OF ADVICE ON THIS THREAD THIS DOES WORK!!!

Monday, October 18, 2010 7:35 AM

• nickyg_coconutz, you are the man !!

After trying everything this solution worked ! I deleted this "empty" key and was able to install silverlight 4. phewww

HKEY CLASSES ROOT
    Installer
    Products
    D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100

Thnks

Sunday, October 24, 2010 5:19 PM
  • I deleted the key entry like nicky and it worked. 

windows 7 professional here and couldn't install latest version of silverlight 4

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:49 PM
  • You are a FRICKIN' Genius Nicky!!!!!

It finally worked!I have been going to every possible website for weeks trying to figure this out.

Microsoft probably included the wrong key code in one of their patches and it screwed everything up.

Deleting that registry key was the only thing that worked!

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 8:25 PM