none
How to install SL 5?

Question

• I went to the Getting Started stuff. I said I could do the tools for VS, but I know I want more stuff. So I went to the downloads page.  There was the Web Platform Installer that said it installed "all the bits" for SL 5.  So I downloaded and ran and then it said it didn't have a program to run the wpi file.  Huh?

So now what?  Install all the bits and pieces individually or does somebody know what it is complaining about?

Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:50 AM

Answers

• You can download Silverlight 5 Tools for Visual Studio 2010 SP1, Siverlight 5 Toolkit, Silverlight 5 Developer Runtime for Windows here:

http://www.silverlight.net/downloads 

The premise is that you have installed Visual Studio SP1, and all of the language should be the same.

Sunday, December 18, 2011 8:46 PM

All replies

• So I tried to cancel the wpi and left to run an errand since it didn't respond after quite a while and pressing the button multiple times.

Now I just noticed that hiding behind my browser was a window that shows a bunch of pieces, but it looks like all that is applicable is VS tools (which I could have done to begin with) and the phone (which is good to see there, I guess, since I was going to do the phone stuff too).

So I guess the wpi doesn't REALLY do "all the bits" for SL 5 because it doesn't include the toolkit and sdk (unless that is now in the tools).

I would have thought by now this install stuff would be smooth as silk.  come on.  version FIVE.

... time passes ...

Oh wait a minute.  That is SL for VS. that APPEARS to be VS itself.  Probably express I suppose, but it doesn't say.  Says SP1.  Maybe it is just an update to VS to SP1 (which I already think I have).

I think I will cancel out of this whole WPI and go back to doing it piecemeal, probably in some incorrect order that will require me to futz around with this all day...  <sigh>

Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:54 AM
  • You can download Silverlight 5 Tools for Visual Studio 2010 SP1, Siverlight 5 Toolkit, Silverlight 5 Developer Runtime for Windows here:

http://www.silverlight.net/downloads 

The premise is that you have installed Visual Studio SP1, and all of the language should be the same.

Sunday, December 18, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Yes, that is what I did, although the runtime is supposedly in the Tools and doesn't need to be downloaded separately.

Monday, December 19, 2011 3:19 PM
  • I installed the three of them with no problem. So what problem you are facing?

Monday, December 19, 2011 8:28 PM
  • None now.  Just dumb documentation that doesn't show the "bits" that wpi is supposed to be installing and it fails when I run it.

But I installed the other bits and pieces and it is working now.  I just wanted to complain that the instructions for "getting started" aren't helpful with regard to wpi.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:48 AM