none
Possible problem with Netflix and Silverlight?

Question

• I've read over these forums (and about a million more on the internet) and I have yet to find a solution to my problem. If this is in the wrong section, I apologize but I'd really like some help.

I've had the same computer and setup for some time now and have been watching Netflix on it for about the same amount of time except for the whole of last year where I was able to stream movies to another device. I recently had to go back to watching it on my PC which runs XP. No matter the solution or programs tried, I just cannot get the streaming to work properly. There are no error codes, it just has choppy and jerky playback to the point of freezing. I tried watching it through Firefox, IE8, and Chrome with all the same effect. Just in case, I tried it on another computer, and though the picture quailty was not that great, it worked.

I have uninstalled and installed Silverlight, used different versions of it, I've updated drivers all over my computer and even rolled back some at certain points, I've tried different browsers and solutions all over the internet via Google and Bing searches and yet all for naught.

Every twist and turn brings me back to these forums. Everyone and every page points to them and something to do with Silverlight which I had not heard of until this point. (I have my computer set up to automatic updates and just let it have at it without checking to see what it was "updating")

It seems that so many people have had the same problems that there must be some solution out there. Can someone please help?

*edit* It would help if I added my system specs for additional help incase it's my machine? :P

Windows XP with SP3

AMD Athlon(tm)XP 3000+

2.10GHz, 1.50GB of Ram

ATI Radeon 9550 x1050 series with updated drivers

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:23 PM

Answers

• The fact that it used to work suggests something deteriorated.  Check these things:

1.  Internet speed/quality.  This probably won't be it (Silverlight degrades gracefully with network conditions) but it's worth a look.  Use Speedtest.net and check speed and ping.

2.  Video card/processor temperature.  I think this is your most likely culprit.  Streaming video will make your system cook, especially the video card.  Freezing and chopping is often indicative of a stability problem relating to heat.  Check ATI's site for software that will let you watch the temperature of the GPU while watching a video.  If it goes over their recommended tolerances, you can add a fan to the case (good) or directly to the card (better) to vent more heat.

The browser you use should have absolutely no effect, as you've seen.  Silverlight apps run as "helper objects" (this is IE terminology, each is different) within the browser, so the browser just acts as a shell.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:59 PM

All replies

• The fact that it used to work suggests something deteriorated.  Check these things:

1.  Internet speed/quality.  This probably won't be it (Silverlight degrades gracefully with network conditions) but it's worth a look.  Use Speedtest.net and check speed and ping.

2.  Video card/processor temperature.  I think this is your most likely culprit.  Streaming video will make your system cook, especially the video card.  Freezing and chopping is often indicative of a stability problem relating to heat.  Check ATI's site for software that will let you watch the temperature of the GPU while watching a video.  If it goes over their recommended tolerances, you can add a fan to the case (good) or directly to the card (better) to vent more heat.

The browser you use should have absolutely no effect, as you've seen.  Silverlight apps run as "helper objects" (this is IE terminology, each is different) within the browser, so the browser just acts as a shell.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Well I found out that I still was running Netflix on Windows Media before I switched to watching it through a non-pc device. When I came back to Netflix and they opted everyone to switch to Silverlight was when I began the problems.

My internet speed as far as the website says is 8.92mbps download and 1.67mps upload. I was promised 15/2. Then again there could be high volume right now that's causing it.

As for checking temperature, I looked all over the website and cannot find what I need to monitor that. Unless I missed it?

Thanks so far for reading over and responding. This has been the most that anyone has bothered to respond since I've been asking in places such as netflix and other media.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:53 PM
  • Same here.  My CPU usage checks out (I admit I'm only running dual core so I have do kill off a lot of things to use it...which is crazy but not surprising for a Microsoft product).  My net connection checks out in terms of speed and consistancy (i'll even pause mid-video to run a speedtest on it).  I've even tried 3 different browsers.  I've had this problem before...uninstall Silverlight...reinstall about a half dozen times wait a week or two and then the problem magically "cleared up".  That was a few months ago and here I am AGAIN.  Same computer, same everything and boom...jerky video.  When I call Netflix, they blame it on Sliverlight - yet they won't get microsoft to actually attempt to fix the problem.  You're totally right - Microsoft could not care less.  The best we can hope for is that Netflix will realize their mistake and contract out for their own software.  Until then, I'm switching to Hulu and Redbox.  However if anybody's got the miracle cure (no, uninstalling Silverlight totally and reinstalling didn't work), then I'd love to hear it.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:04 AM
  • I understand completely where you are coming from. My Mac was working with silverlight just fine - its a new mac too- and for about 3 months no problems. When silverlight updated I started having problems:

For the past month I have been trying to get Netflix to work as it did previously (before Silveright 4 came out). I get the N8007 error on my Mac.  I think I have tried just about everything:

1) Only on Safari so not an issue with having two internet browsers or with private browsing

2) cleared the storage on Silverlight as instructed via the error message (including the IS file)

3) deleted with browsers closed all silverlight from library/application support and plugins

4) reinstalled Silverlight several times- even installed Beta 5 Silverlight

5) rebooted several times

6) Called netflix who says its Silverlight problem...silverlight says is netflix....

Maybe the only solution is to cancel Netflix since I only watch movies on my mac...does anyone have a permanent solution to this?

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Lilyana, I'll repeat what I posted on a similar thread here:

"I've been using Netflix for 3 years, but recently I have been having a horrible time with streaming being very choppy, audio out of synch, constant buffering, and sucking up 100% of my CPU.
    Not worth watching.
    I tried all kinds of things ( too numerous to list) trying to fix this.
    But it was No Go (and I'm fairly computer savvy).
    In frustration I ALMOST cancelled my account. Then I read a post up above (don't remember ur username but tyvm).
    Here is the gist of it:

Login and click on "Your Account & Help" link in the upper right-hand corner.
    Then click on "Manage Video Quality".
    The page then offers the following options:

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)

Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)

Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD).

I had mine set at 1GB per hour. Hmph!
     I changed it to 0.3GB per hour and then tested my streaming. Voila!!! It worked!!! Video quality is good and everything runs smoothly.
    This solved my problem. It may or may not solve yours, but its worth a try."

Good LuckCool

Friday, October 21, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Install Firefox!  I resisted this forever as I already have 2 browsers Google Chrome and IE and thought it could not possibly make a difference.  Uninstalled and re-installed Silverlight. Called Netflix customer service, nice but not very knowledgeable about common problems at all.  They have a 3 point script and that is it!!  Can not believe they do not have their own step by step troubleshooting page. Tried to use the old Silverlight 3 but Netflix keeps requring it to be upgraded to version 5. Anyway get Firefox and a fresh install of your Silverlight.  Anyway Firefox was GOLDEN.

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:53 PM