none
A very Strange thing! Siverlight Mediaplayer Control cannot play some mp3 files which can be handled very well in other media player softwares!!

Question

• When I am building a music site ( which uses "sivlerlight mediaplayer"  as the media player ) , I find a very strange problem which seems not an web-application-technical problem :   some mp3 files , very normal mp3 files , are failed to be processed by Mediaplayer control !  They seem irrecognizable to Mediaplayer and cannot be played.  But actually , they are normal mp3 files , they can be well played via Winamp , Windows Mediaplayer.  I wonder If anyone find the problem and could anyone give me some tips ?  I will upload one sample mp3 files and have you try it !   It is really wield , unaccaptable !

Please download the sample mp3 here and help me check the problem !

NotPlayInMediaplayerControl.mp3

Or you can visit my page which provides simple explanation of the problem and download the link :

Sample Download Page
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:46 AM

Answers

• Hi ZC0000,

I have downloaded the mp3 file and tested it on my environments.  It doesn't work.  Actually, not all the files with mp3 extension can be played on Silverlight even though they are played on Windows Media Player. 

Below is a rollup list of formats supported by the MediaElement. These encodings are supported regardless of the file name extension.

Video

• Raw Video

• YV12 - YCrCb(4:2:0)

• RGBA - 32 bit Alpha Red, Green, Blue

• WMV1: Windows Media Video 7

• WMV2: Windows Media Video 8

• WMV3: Windows Media Video 9

• Supports Simple and Main Profiles.

• Supports only progressive (non-interlaced) content.

• WMVA: Windows Media Video Advanced Profile, non-VC-1

• WVC1: Windows Media Video Advanced Profile, VC-1

• Supports Advanced Profile.

• H264 (ITU-T H.264 / ISO MPEG-4 AVC)

• Supports H.264 and MP43 codecs.

• Supports Base, Main, and High Profiles

• Supports only 4:2:0 chroma subsampling profiles.

Audio

• “1”. This is Linear 8 or 16 bit Pulse Code Modulation. Roughly speaking, this is WAV format.

• "353" - Microsoft Windows Media Audio v7, v8 and v9.x Standard (WMA Standard)

• "354" - Microsoft Windows Media Audio v9.x and v10 Professional (WMA Professional)

• Supports full fidelity decoding of WMA 10 Professional Low Bit Rate (LBR) modes in the 32-96 kbps range.

• Multichannel (5.1 and 7.1 surround) audio content is automatically mixed down to stereo.

• 24 bit audio will return silence.

• Sampling Rates beyond 48000 return an invalid format error code in same-domain and a 4001 in cross-domain scenarios.

• "85" - ISO MPEG-1 Layer III (MP3)

• "255" - ISO Advanced Audio Coding (AAC)

• Supports Low Complexity (AAC-LC) decoding at full fidelity (up to 48 kHz).

• High Efficiency (HE-AAC) encoded content will decode only at half fidelity (up to 24 kHz).

• Multichannel (5.1 surround) audio content is not supported.

We suggest that you'd better use Microsoft Encoder to encode it.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:49 AM

All replies

• do youget an error message?

I had problems with DRM signed videos- which are not playable

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:48 AM
  • No , I get NO message .  You know when I just want to play audio ( mp3,wma )   I chose "AudioGray.xaml" as the skin , which is also the only skin for audio playing in the default skins library.   If mediaplayer meets an "unknown" type and cannot play it, nothing alerting would happen ,but the progress bar is "empty" and you cannot drag it, all other command buttons have no effect.

So, what I mean is , when  the mediaplayer loads  some "specific" mp3 files , it seems treating them as "irrecognizable audio" files  such as ".txt",".htm" files (  If we assign a "txt" or "htm" file to mediaSource , the player of course cannot play and do nothing. ) .  However actually,
    these "special" mp3 files can be correctly handled in any windows media player application , such as Winamp , Windows Media Player,etc.

I hope my explanation makes you get sensed.  I will provide a link to a sample mp3 file , I hope experts can download it and make a simple test and find the reason !

The test is very simple , you just drag mediaplayer control to a web page and set its media path:

<asp:ScriptManager runat="server"></asp:ScriptManager>

<asp:MediaPlayer runat="server" MediaSource="~/test/NotPlayInMediaplayerControl.mp3" AutoLoad="true" AutoPlay="true" >
            </asp:MediaPlayer>

Then , you may find nothing happens when refresh the page ( seems no mediaSource assigned ) , however the "sampleFile.mp3" can be played in Winamp !

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:21 AM
  • UP !  Can anyone help me ??    I am urgent and serious !!  I need help !

Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:50 AM
  • UP  UP !!   assort to someone's help!

Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Hi ZC0000,

I have downloaded the mp3 file and tested it on my environments.  It doesn't work.  Actually, not all the files with mp3 extension can be played on Silverlight even though they are played on Windows Media Player. 

Below is a rollup list of formats supported by the MediaElement. These encodings are supported regardless of the file name extension.

Video

• Raw Video

• YV12 - YCrCb(4:2:0)

• RGBA - 32 bit Alpha Red, Green, Blue

• WMV1: Windows Media Video 7

• WMV2: Windows Media Video 8

• WMV3: Windows Media Video 9

• Supports Simple and Main Profiles.

• WMVA: Windows Media Video Advanced Profile, non-VC-1

• WVC1: Windows Media Video Advanced Profile, VC-1

• Supports Advanced Profile.

• H264 (ITU-T H.264 / ISO MPEG-4 AVC)

• Supports H.264 and MP43 codecs.

• Supports Base, Main, and High Profiles

• Supports only 4:2:0 chroma subsampling profiles.

Audio

• “1”. This is Linear 8 or 16 bit Pulse Code Modulation. Roughly speaking, this is WAV format.

• "353" - Microsoft Windows Media Audio v7, v8 and v9.x Standard (WMA Standard)

• "354" - Microsoft Windows Media Audio v9.x and v10 Professional (WMA Professional)

• Supports full fidelity decoding of WMA 10 Professional Low Bit Rate (LBR) modes in the 32-96 kbps range.

• Multichannel (5.1 and 7.1 surround) audio content is automatically mixed down to stereo.

• 24 bit audio will return silence.

• Sampling Rates beyond 48000 return an invalid format error code in same-domain and a 4001 in cross-domain scenarios.

• "85" - ISO MPEG-1 Layer III (MP3)

• "255" - ISO Advanced Audio Coding (AAC)

• Supports Low Complexity (AAC-LC) decoding at full fidelity (up to 48 kHz).

• High Efficiency (HE-AAC) encoded content will decode only at half fidelity (up to 24 kHz).

• Multichannel (5.1 surround) audio content is not supported.

We suggest that you'd better use Microsoft Encoder to encode it.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:49 AM