none
Netflix DRM Error 8152

Question

• Greetings!

I've just fired up my new Dell E6400 w/ Windows 7 Enterprise and love it.  However if I attempt to stream Netflix movies I get a DRM error n8152.  This appears to be very common for Mac users, but I can't find any detail for Windows users.

I've done everyting the Netflix helpdesk asked me to do (uninstall/reinstall, delete the app store, etc) but no dice.  I tried the test site and silverlight works fine, until I try to use DRM...

Where shall I look next?

Thanks,

Allen

Sunday, February 21, 2010 10:27 AM

All replies

• I'm getting the same error on my new Dell XT2 running Win7 Pro.  The strange thing is that the default account can play back fine but once I created a domain joined account - that account gets the 8152 error.  I also went through support with Netflix and they finally gave up and said it was a Silverlight DRM error and had something to do with the network.  Please let me know if you ever figure out how to fix it.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:33 AM
  • I did get a response from the support folks w/ a few things to try.  I ended up w/ the same problem when I put a domain joined account on the system.  However the non-domain account I created when re-building the machine still works.

Here are the steps from the support folks:

Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp utility ============================================1. Visit: http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe 2. Save the file on your Desktop. 3. Double click the file "msicuu2.exe" on the Desktop to install this tool on the computer. Step 2: Remove Microsoft Silverlight========================1. Click "Start"-> "(All) Programs"->"Windows Installer Clean Up".2. See if you can find Microsoft Silverlight. If so, remove it. 3. Restart the computer. After performing these steps, please move on to the following suggestions to install the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight. Step 3: Install Microsoft Silverlight========================1. Please go to the following website: http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/handlers/getsilverlight.ashx 2. Click Save to save the Silverlight.exe file on to the Desktop.3. Double click Silverlight.exe to install it. Does Microsoft Silverlight install properly? If not, please follow the steps below to capture a screenshot if there is any error message. 1. Screenshot of the error message=====================1. When the error code or message appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
    2. Click the "Start" menu, "Run", type "mspaint" and Press Enter.
    3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".
    4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".
    5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

I hope that'll help.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Thanks for passing this along. I went through the steps but it didn't help. :(
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:28 PM
  • did you end up w/ a log file?  My silverlight didn't even write a log file...

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:51 AM
  • I am also having this same problem and will be interested if anyone finds a solution to this problem, I have two indentical systems one works and one does not.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:34 AM
  •  Hi has anyone has called microsoft support for help?

Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:33 PM
  • Sorry, accidentally sent a private message to the full thread. I will contact each of you individually. (I'll post the answer to the thread once I've confirmed the problem).

- Tom

Friday, February 26, 2010 2:52 AM
  •  I'm having the same problem.  All the XP machines in my house are working with Netflix watch instantly except the one.  I get the dreaded N8152 error after a few minutes of the "setting up the movie player" message.  I've tried just about everything and am near giving up, so if you have a solution, I would be very grateful to hear about it.  I just did a fresh install of XP Home SP3 hoping that would be the issue, but I still get the same error.

One thing I'm wondering:  I bought the machine in Switzerland (but am using it in the US).  Could that have anything to do with the problem? The region setting is set to US and the language is English, so I don't see how that could make a difference, but that is the only thing I can think of.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 2:41 AM
  • Downloading and installing the latest sliverlight runtime fixed this issue for me - http://www.silverlight.net/getstarted/

Thursday, May 06, 2010 10:28 PM
  • I apologize for not following up on this in the public forum.

This issue was determined to be specific to certain proxy configurations that mistakenly made Microsoft's DRM service inaccessible to the Silverlight runtime. This was fixed in Silverlight 4, which was released on April 15th.

- Tom

Tom Taylor    |    Microsoft Silverlight

Friday, May 07, 2010 1:37 AM
  • Here is the procedure I got from Microsoft for Windows XP,  I followed all the steps and am now enjoying my Netflix movies.  Good luck to all.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Silverlight Consumer Support. My name is Aaron and I am a Microsoft Customer Service Representative. For your reference, the case ID for this service request is SRX 1133731792.You can contact me by sending an email to v-30aali@mssupport.microsoft.com with the case ID in the subject line.

From your description, I understand that Netflix movies cannot be played properly, and it stated that the Silverlight was already installed . Please be assured that you have successfully contacted the correct support team and we will be working with you to address your concerns as quickly as possible.

Based on the current information, please use the following steps to remove Silverlight components manually:

Step 1

====

Remove files related to Silverlight

1. Open C:\Program Files.

2. Find the folder named Microsoft Silverlight and then delete it.

Note: I assume your Windows is installed on drive C.

Step 2

====

Remove registry keys related to Silverlight

1. Click Start, click Run, type "regedit" (without quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK. The Registry Editor program will come up.

2. Navigate to the following folder in the left pane if it exists.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Silverlight

3. Right click on Silverlight then click on "Permissions...".

4. Please check if Administrators is listed in the Group and User name list. If not, please click the Add button and type "Administrators" in the open window and click OK to add this group.

5. Highlight Administrators and check on Full Control under Accept.

6. Click the Advanced button and choose the Owner tab.

7. Highlight the current user account in the list and mark the check box before Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.

8. Click OK to save changes and wait for the system to transfer the ownership of all the objects.

9. Delete the Silverlight entry.

10. Use the same steps to delete the following entries if they exist:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{89F4137D-6C26-4A84-BDB8-2E5A4BB71E00}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{DFEAF541-F3E1-4c24-ACAC-99C30715084A}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{283C8576-0726-4DBC-9609-3F855162009A}

11. Please restart the computer and install Silverlight again from http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/handlers/getsilverlight.ashx?v=3.0

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. Thank you for your effort and patience.

I'm waiting for your reply.

Best Regards,

Aaron Liu

v-30aali@mssupport.microsoft.com

Microsoft Customer Service Representative

Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:20 AM
  • I am having this very same problem with my ASMobile Laptop.  It has the best screen resolution to view Netflix videos but I end up with this same DRM error.  I did try calling  Netflix support and they pretty much gave up after several attempts at fixing this.  I will keep monitoring this thread to see what you guys come up with.

Ah, ok, one poster said to upgrade to Silverlight 4.  Let me try that and see if it works.

Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:42 PM
  • dougt3986,   try my instructions listed above and if it doesn't work, send an email to microsoft support for your system and they will respond within 1 business day.  Good luck     (Netflix didn't have a clue)

Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:54 PM
  •  The problem is an update.  Silverlight updated, probably without telling you it did so.  You must uninstall and hunt down version 3.0.50106.0 I am sure you have version like 4.0 currently.  I just resolved this issue myself and turned off automatic updates for it. I now have movies playing with this "older" version

Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:32 PM
  • Same for me. Talked to Netflix and confirmed that four times the udated Silverlight 4 produces the DRM 8152 error code; unistalled and installed 3 no probleme, no error codes, Netflix plays fine.  I only wish that I could keep 4 and still play Netflix instant watch; I'll try the uncheck Automatic Udate after installing 3.

Friday, June 25, 2010 12:52 AM
  •  I agree with you, Troublem. The minute your Silverlight V3.0.50 updates to any newer version such as Silverlight 4 that's when the problem starts. The hard part is removing this newly installed version. You have to go to your Control Panel >Add/Remove Program(s)>Highlight Microsoft Silverlight>Click Remove Button. Make sure it was uninstalled from your PC. Check your Program Files and see if it's still there.

If Silverlight (4) or any vestiges of it is still on your PC, this will prevent you from installing the version 3.0.50. What you need to do is download "Windows Install Clean Up" from Microsoft. Install it and open this program and look for Microsoft Silverlight from its list. Highlight this program (Microsoft Silverlight), then click Remove button. Note: Don't click "Select All" or "Clear All" - this will mess you up more.

If Version 3.0.50 still wouldn't install after doing this, then there's some registry keys pertaining to Silverlight remaining in your PC. As a word of caution, messing around with your reg keys can be disastrous. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then don't. Click Start>Run>type: regedit >Click OK> On the left hand side of the Registry Editor Window look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > click the + sign beside it > look for SOFTWARE > click the + sign beside it > look for Microsoft then click the + sign beside it > look for the Silverlight file and click this file > Click the Edit tab at the top > from its drop down box click Delete > Click the File tab at the top > Click Exit. Restart your PC.

Assuming there's no more Silverlight on your system, open your browser and search for Silverlight Version 3.0.50106 on the web. This should be a free download. I think Netflix still offer this version to its members. But you could check other sites. Once you download and install this program, (and if you're a Netflix account holder and use their Instant Play service) disable this program's updating capabilities entirely.

This worked for me, I hope it works for people having this problem: DRM Error 8152. As an add-on Microsoft states that Silverlight 4 doesn't work on XP operating system with a Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer browser in them (see Silverlight 4 Compatability). 

Sunday, June 27, 2010 3:41 AM
  • . The minute your Silverlight V3.0.50 updates to any newer version such as Silverlight 4 that's when the problem starts.

Netflix has reported to Microsoft that a small percentage of their users are running into playback problems when upgrading to Silverlight 4, and that rolling back to Silverlight 3 resolves the problem. If this describes you (or anybody reading this), please contact me privately via the forums so that we can capture some more data.

Of course, once we have a resolution / workaround, we'll provide an update via the forums.

If Silverlight (4) or any vestiges of it is still on your PC, this will prevent you from installing the version 3.0.50. What you need to do is download "Windows Install Clean Up" from Microsoft

I would *highly* advise against this. Uninstalling Silverlight from the add/remove programs control panel should be sufficient. You do not need to hack your registry, you do not need a separate utility, etc. If for some reason this is not working for you, please contact me privately through the forums and I'll see if we can figure out what's going on.

As an add-on Microsoft states that Silverlight 4 doesn't work on XP operating system with a Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer browser in them (see Silverlight 4 Compatability). 

Silverlight 4 works with Windows XPSP2 and higher. If you have Windows XP or XP SP1, it will not work, but this has never been supported.

- Tom

Monday, June 28, 2010 5:55 PM
  •  I was getting the same DRM Error 8152 when I tried watching netflix movies online (mozilla firefox 5.0, XP SP2).  To fix, I went to add / remove programs and removed silverlight.  Found site below, and loaded version 3.0.50106.0 from their mirror site and now netflix movies are working once again *applause*.  Thanks for everyone's help. :)

Site -  http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Microsoft-Silverlight-Download-95368.html

-D

Thursday, July 01, 2010 3:53 AM
  • Same error here. Running XP SP 3.  Once silverlight was uninstalled completely using Revo Uninstaller and older version 3.5 silverlight installed.  Everything is working fine.  Thanks to this forum post because tech support at Netflix and Microsoft 800 tech supports had no helpful suggestions.  Other than the tech at Microsoft telling me he could help for $59 an hour.

Sunday, July 04, 2010 1:16 AM
  • My kids computer is a Windows XP SP2 machine, and I've been through all the hoops listed in this post. Nothing works. Any time I log into the kids account and try to watch a netflix movie, it fails with N8152.  However, when I am logged into the computer as the kids account, but run IE as the Administrator, it works just fine.

I've tried to bypass the family content filter/proxy server by removing it from the settings in Firefox, but I still get the same 8152 error.

I've tried giving the kids account full access to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight folder.  Still getting the error.

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 1:53 PM
  • I have XP and was able to resolve the problem by following the instructions listed here: http://goo.gl/Nbrm
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 7:19 PM
  • The netflix site states below :

A:

To watch the Starz TV channel you need a PC with the following minimum requirements:

• Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher, or Windows Vista
    • Internet Explorer version 6 or higher
    • Windows Media Player version 11 (DRM version 5145) or later
    • An active broadband connection to the Internet
    • 1.0 GHz processor
    • 512 MB RAM
    • 3 GB free hard disk drive space

I had a vanilla XP SP3 system with Windows Media Player 9.

There's more info in the netflix help pages. 

Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:59 PM
  • "Netflix has reported to Microsoft that a small percentage of their users are..."

And what they will not report is all the unexplained cancellations, which was on my to-do list this morning if another half hour of debugging didn't fix this.

Anyway I just rolled back to Silverlight 3.0 to get by the N8152 error.  The error started after an update earlier this month.

Netflix streaming does work here on an old XP-SP3 box, with the latest Silverlight 4.0.  So I figured it was only the laptop.

This is on a Win7-64 system, on a domainless (workgroup) home network.    Using the regular control panel uninstall and reinstalling 3.0.50106.0, closing the browser but not rebooting, was all I had to do.

The laptop does frequently go to work, where it gets on a semi-private wireless network (it's not a full peer on the network, but I can see certain network shared folders). 

It also frequently has one of two different external monitors connected.

[As an aside - CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-S?  Seriously???]

Saturday, February 19, 2011 11:12 AM
  • Anyway I just rolled back to Silverlight 3.0 to get by the N8152 error.  The error started after an update earlier this month. Netflix streaming does work here on an old XP-SP3 box, with the latest Silverlight 4.0.  So I figured it was only the laptop.

So it sounds like you contacted Netflix customer support and they were unable to resolve the problem? I'll send you a private message to see if we can get this figured out.

[As an aside - CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-S?  Seriously???]

The Netflix application configuration menu is really only for advanced users - you can see the full set of options via alt+shift+click.

- Tom

Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:21 PM
  • For windows 7:  Go to C:\AppData\Microsoft\PlayReady and delete mspr.hds.

Start->Run Command->type in %ProgramData% and hit enter to open location.

Should be similar for XP, but I am unable to verify.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:26 PM

Start->Run Command->type in %ProgramData% and hit enter to open location.

Should be similar for XP, but I am unable to verify.

This works perfectly. Simple Solution.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Yup, it worked for me as well. On a Windows XP machine, click Start, Run, and copy and paste the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\PlayReady

and delete mspr.hds

Friday, July 15, 2011 2:45 AM
  • I'm back!  Netflix is now insisting that users be on the latest version of Silverlight.  But I still get error N8152.

To jog your memory:
    "So it sounds like you contacted Netflix customer support and they were unable to resolve the problem? I'll send you a private message to see if we can get this figured out."

We traded some messages, and I ran several diagnostics under Silverlight 4.0.  We saw that video would play, but protected content would not.  I never heard back after that.

Right now Silverlight 4.0.60531.0 is what's loaded.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 8:19 PM

No effect for me, in Win 7 Home Premium SP1.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 8:25 PM