none
Exception: The DomainContextType is null or invalid and there are no contexts generated from AuthenticationBase<T>

Question

• Hello

I'm getting the following exception when calling the AuthenticationService.Login method:

Message: Unhandled Error in Silverlight 2 Application The DomainContextType is null or invalid and there are no contexts generated from AuthenticationBase<T>.   at System.Windows.Ria.ApplicationServices.AuthenticationService.Login(LoginParameters parameters, Action`1 completeAction, Object userState)
       at Admin.LoginModule.Services.LoginService.TryLogin(String username, String password, Boolean rememberMe)

This is the method call in my TryLogin method:

RiaContext.Current.Authentication.Login(new LoginParameters(username, password), loginCompleted, null);

In App.xaml:
    1    <Application.ApplicationLifetimeObjects>
    2 <data:RiaContext>
    3 <data:RiaContext.Authentication>
    4 <riaapps:FormsAuthentication/>
    5 </data:RiaContext.Authentication>
    6 </data:RiaContext>
    7 </Application.ApplicationLifetimeObjects>

In AuthenticationService.cs:

1    [EnableClientAccess]
    2 public class AuthenticationService : AuthenticationBase<User>
    3 {
    4 [Insert]
    5 public void AddUser(User user)
    6 {
    7 // Some code
    8 }
    10 [Delete]
    11 public void DeleteUser(User user)
    12 {
    13 // Some code
    14 }
    16 [Query]
    17 public IEnumerable<User> GetUsers()
    18 {
    19 // Some code
    20 }
    22 [ServiceOperation]
    23 public void ResetPassword(User user)
    24 {
    25 // Some code
    26 }
    28 [Query]
    29 public IEnumerable<Role> GetRoles()
    30 {
    31 // Some code
    32 }
    34 [Delete]
    35 public void DeleteRole(Role role)
    36 {
    37 // Some code
    38 }
    39 }

My User-class implements IUser but not the other interfaces used in the sample (I hope that doesn't matter).

I've checked the generated code and it does have an AuthenticationContext that derives from AuthenticationBase

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Sunday, July 19, 2009 7:57 AM

Answers

• Is your AuthenticationContext being generated into the main application assembly or a class library? FormsAuthentication and WindowsAuthentication will only "find" contexts generated into the main assembly. If you're generating it somewhere else, there are a couple options.

1) Set FormsAuthentication.DomainContext in code to a new instance of the type.

2) Set FormsAuthentication.DomainContextType in xaml to the full name of the type if it is in the main assembly.

3) Set FormsAuthentication.DomainContextType in xaml to the assembly-qualified name of the type if it is in a class library.

Kyle

Monday, July 20, 2009 11:56 AM
  • Hello Scott

This solved it for me:

In you App.xaml:

2        <local:RiaContext>
    3            <local:RiaContext.Authentication>
    4                <appsvc:FormsAuthentication DomainContextType="Web.Services.AuthenticationContext, Admin.Data, Version= 1.0.0.0"/>
    5                <!-- [Optional] <appsvc:WindowsAuthentication/>-->
    6            </local:RiaContext.Authentication>
    7        </local:RiaContext>
    8    </Application.ApplicationLifetimeObjects>

Where the namespace "local" is where you defined your RiaContext (this wont get generated in your class library, so you will have to write the code yourself and place it outside of the generated file (which will be overwritten the next time you build))
    appsvc is: clr-namespace:System.Windows.Ria.ApplicationServices;assembly=System.Windows.Ria 
    Check the generated file in your RIA class library for the namespace that the AuthenticationContext is placed in.
    Admin.Data is the name of my RIA class library assembly. 
    I hope this helps you :-)
    /SorenHK 
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:14 AM
  •  Hi SorenHK,

Thanks very much for that--it was just what I was looking for. Unfortunately I was not able to solve my issue that way. I was trying to add the RiaContext code from a simple simple, sample solution into my multi-assembly solution, and there were other problems associated with that.

My biggest problem was due to the fact that both my data-access RIA service classes and my user authentication service classes were in the same middle tier web project. In addition to that, I was trying to add a RIA link from a Silverlight class library project. Because the RIA link was not in a SL Application project, the RiaContext User code was not being generated.

In order to solve it, I had to a) move the RIA data access service code from my web project into a separate pair of projects per the RIA Services Class Library template, b) replace the RIA Link in my SL class library with a reference to "client" project produced by the RIA Class Library template, and c) add a RIA Link from my SL application project to the middle-tier web project containing the RIA user authentication service classes.

After eight hours of that and very nearly giving up at least twice, I finally was able to access the RIA DataContext classes from my SL class library as well as benefit from the RIA generated RiaContext.* user authentication/authorisation services in my SL Application project.

Scott

Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:18 AM
  • Hi and thanks for all the good info!  Without this post I would have been completely lost.  I do want to add a bit more though, although it might be redundant.

Following the design pattern in 19.3.3 of the RIAServicesOverview.docx, I decided to move my RIA DAL to a RIA Services class library.  Having completed that, I removed the RIA link from my SL app to the main app.web.  This of course caused the RIA Authentication to break as those services were still in the main app.web.

No problem, I created a second RIA Services class library for Authentication and UserRegistration.  Yes, I could have simply recreated the RIA link from my SL app to my app.web, but that is not the recommened method in the Overview docudment (see section 19.3.4).

Now that my AuthenticationService and UserRegistrationService were in a RIA Lib, registration broke with the exception posted in this thread Subject.

The solution was two fold (I'm simply restating what's in this thread in so many words).  First, you must create the RiaContext.  This is done manually in the Silverlight portion of the RIA Library that contains your Authentication and UserRigistration services.  So for example, I moved AuthenticationService.cs, UserInformation,cs and UserRegistrationService.cs into a new RIA lib called "MyLibrary.Security.Web".  I put these files in a Services folder.  Then within the Silverlight side of the Library (MyLibrary.Security) I placed the following RiaContext.cs file:

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.ComponentModel;
    using System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Web.Ria.Data;
    using System.Windows.Ria.Data;
    using MyLibrary.Security.Web.Services;

namespace MyLibrary.Security
    {
    	/// <summary>
    	/// Context for the RIA application.
    	/// </summary>
    	/// <remarks>
    	/// This context extends the base to make application services and types available
    	/// for consumption from code and xaml.
    	/// </remarks>
    	public sealed partial class RiaContext : System.Windows.Ria.RiaContextBase
    	{

#region Extensibility Method Definitions

/// <summary>
    		/// This method is invoked from the constructor once initialization is complete and
    		/// can be used for further object setup.
    		/// </summary>
    		partial void OnCreated();

#endregion

/// <summary>
    		/// Initializes a new instance of the RiaContext class.
    		/// </summary>
    		public RiaContext()
    		{
    			this.OnCreated();
    		}

/// <summary>
    		/// Gets the context that is registered as a lifetime object with the current application.
    		/// </summary>
    		/// <exception cref="InvalidOperationException"> is thrown if there is no current application,
    		/// no contexts have been added, or more than one context has been added.
    		/// </exception>
    		/// <seealso cref="Application.ApplicationLifetimeObjects"/>
    		public new static RiaContext Current
    		{
    			get
    			{
    				return ( (RiaContext)( System.Windows.Ria.RiaContextBase.Current ) );
    			}
    		}

/// <summary>
    		/// Gets a user representing the authenticated identity.
    		/// </summary>
    		public new User User
    		{
    			get
    			{
    				return ( (User)( base.User ) );
    			}
    		}
    	}
    }

Next, you must update the  App.xaml in the silverlight application to use the new AuthenticationService in your RIA Library.  Here's my sample code:

<Application   
      x:Class="MDTM.App"
      xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
      xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
      xmlns:app="clr-namespace:MyLibrary.Security;assembly=MyLibrary.Security"
      xmlns:appsvc="clr-namespace:System.Windows.Ria.ApplicationServices;assembly=System.Windows.Ria"  
        >

<Application.Resources>
            <ResourceDictionary>
                <ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries>
                    <ResourceDictionary Source="Assets/Styles.xaml"/>
                </ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries>
            </ResourceDictionary>
        </Application.Resources>

<Application.ApplicationLifetimeObjects>
            <app:RiaContext>
                <app:RiaContext.Authentication>
                    <appsvc:FormsAuthentication DomainContextType="MyLibrary.Security.Web.Services.AuthenticationContext, MyLibrary.Security, Version=1.0.0.0"/>
                    <!--<appsvc:WindowsAuthentication/>-->
                </app:RiaContext.Authentication>
            </app:RiaContext>
        </Application.ApplicationLifetimeObjects>

</Application>

The important part is the DomainContextType.  The first part must specify the full class name of the AuthenticationService (of course, called AuthenticationContext when it's renamed by RIA), the second part the RIA Library name.  This gave me problems for a bit of time till I got it right.

Paul

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:00 PM

All replies

•  I've overrided the ValidateUser and GetAuthenticatedUser methods and made User extend the UserBase class which seemed to make login work in a newly created business application (I'm trying to isolate the problem). I'm still getting the above exception in my "real" project though and I have absolutely no idea why.

Sunday, July 19, 2009 9:23 AM
  • Is your AuthenticationContext being generated into the main application assembly or a class library? FormsAuthentication and WindowsAuthentication will only "find" contexts generated into the main assembly. If you're generating it somewhere else, there are a couple options.

1) Set FormsAuthentication.DomainContext in code to a new instance of the type.

2) Set FormsAuthentication.DomainContextType in xaml to the full name of the type if it is in the main assembly.

3) Set FormsAuthentication.DomainContextType in xaml to the assembly-qualified name of the type if it is in a class library.

Kyle

Monday, July 20, 2009 11:56 AM
  • Hi Kyle,

Can you post a quick example of the xaml/code for setting FormsAuthentication.DomainContextType or .DomainContext? And where/when should this be set?

I've got the same exception as sorenhk at the top of this thread, and I'm just not seeing the solution. My AuthenticationContext is being generated in a class lib.

Cheers,
    Scott

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:07 AM
  • Hello Scott

This solved it for me:

In you App.xaml:

2        <local:RiaContext>
    3            <local:RiaContext.Authentication>
    4                <appsvc:FormsAuthentication DomainContextType="Web.Services.AuthenticationContext, Admin.Data, Version= 1.0.0.0"/>
    5                <!-- [Optional] <appsvc:WindowsAuthentication/>-->
    6            </local:RiaContext.Authentication>
    7        </local:RiaContext>
    8    </Application.ApplicationLifetimeObjects>

Where the namespace "local" is where you defined your RiaContext (this wont get generated in your class library, so you will have to write the code yourself and place it outside of the generated file (which will be overwritten the next time you build))
    appsvc is: clr-namespace:System.Windows.Ria.ApplicationServices;assembly=System.Windows.Ria 
    Check the generated file in your RIA class library for the namespace that the AuthenticationContext is placed in.
    Admin.Data is the name of my RIA class library assembly. 
    I hope this helps you :-)
    /SorenHK 
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:14 AM
  •  Hi SorenHK,

Thanks very much for that--it was just what I was looking for. Unfortunately I was not able to solve my issue that way. I was trying to add the RiaContext code from a simple simple, sample solution into my multi-assembly solution, and there were other problems associated with that.

My biggest problem was due to the fact that both my data-access RIA service classes and my user authentication service classes were in the same middle tier web project. In addition to that, I was trying to add a RIA link from a Silverlight class library project. Because the RIA link was not in a SL Application project, the RiaContext User code was not being generated.

In order to solve it, I had to a) move the RIA data access service code from my web project into a separate pair of projects per the RIA Services Class Library template, b) replace the RIA Link in my SL class library with a reference to "client" project produced by the RIA Class Library template, and c) add a RIA Link from my SL application project to the middle-tier web project containing the RIA user authentication service classes.

After eight hours of that and very nearly giving up at least twice, I finally was able to access the RIA DataContext classes from my SL class library as well as benefit from the RIA generated RiaContext.* user authentication/authorisation services in my SL Application project.

Scott

Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:18 AM
  • Hi and thanks for all the good info!  Without this post I would have been completely lost.  I do want to add a bit more though, although it might be redundant.

Following the design pattern in 19.3.3 of the RIAServicesOverview.docx, I decided to move my RIA DAL to a RIA Services class library.  Having completed that, I removed the RIA link from my SL app to the main app.web.  This of course caused the RIA Authentication to break as those services were still in the main app.web.

No problem, I created a second RIA Services class library for Authentication and UserRegistration.  Yes, I could have simply recreated the RIA link from my SL app to my app.web, but that is not the recommened method in the Overview docudment (see section 19.3.4).

Now that my AuthenticationService and UserRegistrationService were in a RIA Lib, registration broke with the exception posted in this thread Subject.

The solution was two fold (I'm simply restating what's in this thread in so many words).  First, you must create the RiaContext.  This is done manually in the Silverlight portion of the RIA Library that contains your Authentication and UserRigistration services.  So for example, I moved AuthenticationService.cs, UserInformation,cs and UserRegistrationService.cs into a new RIA lib called "MyLibrary.Security.Web".  I put these files in a Services folder.  Then within the Silverlight side of the Library (MyLibrary.Security) I placed the following RiaContext.cs file:

using System;
    using System.Linq;

{
    	/// <summary>
    	/// </summary>
    	/// <remarks>
    	/// This context extends the base to make application services and types available
    	/// </remarks>
    	{

/// <summary>
    		/// This method is invoked from the constructor once initialization is complete and
    		/// </summary>

#endregion

/// <summary>
    		/// </summary>
    		public RiaContext()
    		{
    			this.OnCreated();
    		}

/// <summary>
    		/// Gets the context that is registered as a lifetime object with the current application.
    		/// </summary>
    		/// <exception cref="InvalidOperationException"> is thrown if there is no current application,
    		/// </exception>
    		{
    			get
    			{
    			}
    		}

/// <summary>
    		/// </summary>
    		public new User User
    		{
    			get
    			{
    			}
    		}
    	}
    }

Next, you must update the  App.xaml in the silverlight application to use the new AuthenticationService in your RIA Library.  Here's my sample code:

<Application   
      xmlns:appsvc="clr-namespace:System.Windows.Ria.ApplicationServices;assembly=System.Windows.Ria"  
        >

<Application.Resources>
            <ResourceDictionary>
            </ResourceDictionary>
        </Application.Resources>

<appsvc:FormsAuthentication DomainContextType="MyLibrary.Security.Web.Services.AuthenticationContext, MyLibrary.Security, Version=1.0.0.0"/>

</Application>

The important part is the DomainContextType.  The first part must specify the full class name of the AuthenticationService (of course, called AuthenticationContext when it's renamed by RIA), the second part the RIA Library name.  This gave me problems for a bit of time till I got it right.

Paul

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Hey Paul,

Great post--it very clearly sums up the proper solution. I'm going to take my solution that one step further and move the Authentication services into a RIA library as well. My current solution which has a RIA Link from the SL application project suffers from the problem that the RiaContext object is only available from the SL application assembly. My "Infrastructure" assembly which the SL application assembly references is unable to reference the RiaContext.* authentication services.

Cheers,
    Scott

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:35 PM
  • One other thing I forgot to mention, converting a Silverlight Business Application to use an external RIA Service Library with Authentication also posed a lot of issues with References necessary in the RIA Service Library.  I simply copied the code from the primary app.web (AuthenticationService.cs, etc), into the RIA Library, then added System.Web.

Also, you must update the using statements in your silverlight application.  Here are mine

using MyLibrary.RIA;
    using MyLibrary.Security;
     MyLibrary.RIA is where I put all my actual data access.  MyLibrary.Security.Web.Services gets me access to my AuthenticationService, and MyLibrary.Security gets me access to the RiaContext. 
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 12:25 PM
  • Scott,

Did you manage to sort this? I to have a situation where I would like to reference the RiaContext from a infrastructure asembly.

Thanks

Richie

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Richie,

It's the next item on my list, but I haven't gotten there yet. I believe it would/should work if one does the following:

1. Create a RIA Services Class Library project pair (from the new SL3RTM templates) and add the AuthenticationService.cs, UserInformation.cs, and UserRegistrationService.cs classes to the .Web project. In mine, I created an empty solution based on the SL Business Application template and got it working using the ASP.NET Membership, Role, and Profile providers configured for SQL Server. Then I copied the above .cs files plus the relevant ASP.NET Membership entries from web.config into my real solution.
    2. Manually create the "public sealed partial class RiaContext" class in the Silverlight class library (not the .Web project) of the RIA Services Class Library project pair (see sethian's example).
    3. Add the <RiaContext.Authentication> and <FormsAuthentication> entries to your App.xaml (see sethian's example). Adding the DomainContextType attribute will be required in this case.
    4. Set a reference from your infrastructure project to the Silverlight project in the RIA Services Class Library project pair.

Did I miss anything? I have to wonder what changes the next CTP/release of RIA Services will bring. Does anyone know if the "RiaContext class is only generated in a SL Application project" behaviour/restriction is likely to change soon? If so, that would simplify this problem. Let us know if you get it going in your infrastructure project.

Good luck-
    Scott

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 12:16 AM
  • I had the same problem and with a little bit of reflection I found the solution. The DomainAuthentication object is looking for the DomainContext inside the Application assembly (DomainAuthentication.InitializeDomainContext(){...}), if you have the RIA generating the client code in a separate assembly the DomainAuthentication will never find the DomainContext.

There are two solutions:

1) Copy paste the the AuthenticationContext class from the generated code in the silverlight library into the application

2) Set the DomainContext manually in code:

private void Application_Startup(object sender, StartupEventArgs e)
    {
    ((DomainAuthentication)RiaContext.Current.Authentication).DomainContext = new [SilverlightProjectName].Web.AuthenticationContext();
    this.Resources.Add("RiaContext", RiaContext.Current);
    this.RootVisual = new MainPage();
    }

Friday, August 28, 2009 11:25 AM
  •  Excellent thread. I have a separate RIA Library for authentication and have I have everything working with the exception that my User object is not filled in on the client. I setup the RiaContext like sethian suggested and used the full assembly qualified name to set the DomainContextType in the App.xaml

When I break in the authentication domain service on the server side I see the User object I'm returning is filled with data, but when I break in the operation completion event handler for the Login operation the RiaContext.Current.User looks like the result of a "new User()" with none of the data I filled in on the server side.

Did I miss hooking something up that gets the User returned from the authentication domain service into the RiaContext.Current.User ?

Any ideas on where to start looking for why User is not filled in on the client ? 

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Check the type of the returned User in the login completion.  It should be something like MDTM.Security.Web.Services.User,  which is defined in the server side AuthenticationService.cs .  Authentication is clearly working, it just seems the wrong User class is attached to the RiaContext.

My first thought is that you have a namespace incorrect somewhere.

Thursday, September 03, 2009 7:35 PM
  • I have my own test project so the names are slightly different, but it is the equivalent of what you mention. The type in my login completion of the RiaContext.Current.User is MyAuthenticationLib.Web.User. That is defined in my authentication service (MyAuthenticationService.cs) in the web portion of the RIA Class Lib (MyAuthenticationLib). It is defined as follows:

namespace MyAuthenticationLib.Web {
        [EnableClientAccess ()]
        public class MyAuthenticationService : LinqToEntitiesDomainService<MyAuthDBEntities>, IAuthentication<User> { .... implementation ... }
        public partial class User : IUser {
            #region IUser Members
            public IEnumerable<string> Roles {
                get {
                    throw new NotImplementedException ();
                }
                set {
                    throw new NotImplementedException ();
                }
            }
            #endregion
        }

The Name property is not implemented because my User entity from the EF model has a Name property already.

Then in the silverlight part of the RIA Class Lib (MyAuthenticationLib) I have an RiaContext class that is basically the same as mentioned earlier, so it makes the User property a type of User which comes from the web (server) side of the RIA Class lib. Here is what I have for RiaContext:

namespace MyAuthenticationLib {
        public sealed partial class RiaContext : System.Windows.Ria.RiaContextBase {
            partial void OnCreated ();
            #endregion
            public RiaContext () {
                this.OnCreated ();
            }
            public new static RiaContext Current {
                get {
                    return ((RiaContext)(System.Windows.Ria.RiaContextBase.Current));
                }
            }
            public new User User {
                get {
                    return ((User)(base.User));
                }
            }
        }
    }

Any ideas ?

Thursday, September 03, 2009 8:20 PM
  • Never mind, it was a UTS (user too stupid) error.

In the Login service method I was just returning a new User() on successful login like this - "return new User() { Name=userName }" because it was quick.

I guess I thought the real line of "return Context.Users.First ( user => user.Name == userName )" was too much trouble.Embarrassed

Once I returned a real entity the User comes back filled in just fine and the IsAuthenticated is set correctly.

Friday, September 04, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Great thread and guidance thanks!  I'm combining Prism with RIA and I've split a lot of my functionality into separate modules -- so needless to say having my Authentication service and data access logic in the "shell" module/assembly and then having to reference that assembly in all my other modules would be a poor solution and sort of defeat the purpose of using Prism.

I've split everything out into a separate Authentication web service and SL Class.  Everything compiles and runs....but when I actually try to use the Login function on the base Authentication service, I get an InvalidOperationException with a  "resource not found" message.

I suspect it might be to do with where the Uri used by the base AuthenticationContext is looking.  On my machine its:

"DataService.axd/SecurityService-Web-AuthenticationService/"

The actual Dataservice.axd reference is still stored in my base Web app web config file.

Did you add a web or app config file to your security.web.services project or otherwise adjust the dataservice.axd entry in your main web app?  I know I'm close and its driving me nuts!!!!  Hopefully the release version of RIA resolves some of these issues as I hate having to do all this config file chicanery.

thanks

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:45 PM
  •  I'm not sure if this will fix your problem, but try adding these elements in your Web.config:

<system.web>

<httpHandlers>

<add path="DataService.axd" verb="GET,POST" type="System.Web.Ria.DataServiceFactory, System.Web.Ria, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" validate="false"/>

</httpHandlers>

</system.web>

and:

<system.webServer>

<handlers>

<add name="DataService" verb="GET,POST" path="DataService.axd" type="System.Web.Ria.DataServiceFactory, System.Web.Ria, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

</handlers>

</system.webServer> 

I hope this helps.

/SorenHK

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Thanks, Soren.  I already had the first but not the second.  Didn't work.  One thing did change, though.  Now instead of an InvalidOperationException I get an EntityOperationException at the same point.  Same error message.  Resource not found....

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Still looking at the Uri defined by my Ria class AuthenticationContext -- I sniffed the login call using Fiddler and it goes to:

/ClientBin/DataService.axd/SecurityService-Web-AuthenticationService/Login HTTP/1.1

Is this the right path? 

• Data services is still defined in my main Web app config file
    • The server side Ria class library namespace is SecurityService.Web
    • And the service is called AuthenticationService
    • I checked the xap in ClientBin and the SecurityService.Web.dll is there

Would appreciate any guidance.....

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Sorted it out finally.  I was missing a reference from my main Web app to my SecurityService.Web library.  I'd somehow managed to reference the Silverlight Class library instead....

I'm liking this ability!  But man, it was a pain to configure....

Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:47 AM
  • Slightly different issue here - I can fetch my user, etc fine, however I am trying to perform an update to a user - I remove some associated entities and create some new ones, however when I call:

RiaContext.Current.Authentication.SaveUser(completeOperation, null);

I can see an error (EntityOperationException) has occured from within the completeOperation however the InnerException is null.  Any ideas where to start with this as I cannot find any mention of problems with this anywhere :(

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:58 AM

using System;
    using System.Linq;

{
    	/// <summary>
    	/// </summary>
    	/// <remarks>
    	/// </remarks>
    	{

/// <summary>
    		/// </summary>

#endregion

/// <summary>
    		/// </summary>
    		public RiaContext()
    		{
    			this.OnCreated();
    		}

/// <summary>
    		/// </summary>
    		/// </exception>
    		{
    			get
    			{
    			}
    		}

/// <summary>
    		/// </summary>
    		public new User User
    		{
    			get
    			{
    			}
    		}
    	}
    }

<Application   
        >

<Application.Resources>
            <ResourceDictionary>
            </ResourceDictionary>
        </Application.Resources>

</Application>

Paul

I followed exactly the way mentioned above, but getting the following problems.  The only difference is my library name is TMSLibrary.

1. At the using statement   "using TMSLibrary.Security.Web.Services;"

The type or namespace name 'Web' does not exist in the namespace 'TMSLibrary.Security' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

2. At the line "return ((User)(base.User));"

TMSLibrary.Security.RiaContext.User' is a 'property' but is used like a 'type' 

Any ideas????  Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:02 AM
  • mmm. I got all of it to work, i.e. I can log in against my athentication service from a particular silverlight application which references the RIA Class Library. However, when I navigate to a different appplication, the RIAContext seems to be new, and I am no longer logged in. How can I get the Identity to persist across applications?
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Along the same lines, when a user pressed F5 or refreshes the browser, I am logged out.  Is there a way to refresh the silverlight app but stay logged in?

Paul

Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:58 PM
  • @rcustance et al,

We recently upgraded to WCF RIA Services, and I finally got around to moving our authentication logic into its own "WCF RIA Services Class Library" (instead of having ".NET RIA Services link" from our main Silverlight UI project to the main ASP.NET Web app). I can now reference MyApp.AuthenticationService from any of our Silverlight projects.

Microsoft's Silverlight Business Application template for VS 2008/SL3 was very helpful, but it doesn't demonstrate how to move the authentication service into an autonomous library. There a very helpful post by Colin Blair here, and he has provided a modified project and template for VS2008 and VS2010 which demonstrates how to structure one's solution to make this work.

If upgrading your solution, just remember to set a reference from your ASP.NET application to the new MyApp.AuthenticationService.Web project. If you don't, you'll spend hours troubleshooting a Login service "Not Found" error and wondering why you ever attempted the upgrade (like I did).

Good Luck,
    Scott

Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:29 PM
  • This is a good summary and it got me nearly where I needed to be except I kept getting errors when trying to login. After searching around I found this bit of xaml that fixed all my issues:

<Application 
                 xmlns:app="clr-namespace:Crossbow"
                 xmlns:dmnsvc="clr-namespace:CrossbowRIALibrary;assembly=CrossbowRIALibrary"
                 xmlns:auth="clr-namespace:CrossbowRIALibrary.Web;assembly=CrossbowRIALibrary"
                 xmlns:appsvc="clr-namespace:System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client.ApplicationServices;assembly=System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client.Web"  
                 xmlns:mc="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/markup-compatibility/2006"
                 x:Class="Crossbow.App"
                 Startup="Application_Startup"
                 Exit = "Application_Exit"
                 UnhandledException="Application_UnhandledException"
                 >

<dmnsvc:WebContext>
                <dmnsvc:WebContext.Authentication>
                    <appsvc:FormsAuthentication>
                        <appsvc:FormsAuthentication.DomainContext>
                            <auth:AuthenticationDomainContext/>
                        </appsvc:FormsAuthentication.DomainContext>
                    </appsvc:FormsAuthentication>
                </dmnsvc:WebContext.Authentication>
            </dmnsvc:WebContext>

The part that I was having issues with was the instance of WebContext and its association with the AuthenticationDomainContext. I tried doing it in the code-behind in App.xaml.cs but it didn't want to work. When I changed my xaml to instantiate the WebContext as you see above, everything started working as it did before I moved it to a separate library.

I appreciate all the work everyone has done here and hope this bit helps someone else out.

Friday, May 07, 2010 1:17 PM
  • Any updates on this issue?

Or do we still have to fix this by following Colin's blog post? I find it hard to get a sample up running following Colins blog.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 2:50 AM
  • Hi Mcad01,

I don't think the issue has changed since SL3.0. The upgrade to SL4.0RTM was quite challenging due to all the namespace breaking changes. At the time I did our upgrade to SL4.0, Colin's samples had not been updated and wouldn't build. I've got a version of Colin's BusinessApplicationTemplate which I upgraded to SL4.0RTM if you want it. It's on SkyDrive here. There's one ASP.Net Membership user setup: testuser/test!user.

Hope that helps.

Scott

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 1:26 AM
  • @rcole02: this was the only thing to do ;).

Everybody speak about DomainContextType, your solution enabled the xaml to access to it in a typed way.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:13 AM
  • Hello,

I Implemented the RIA .NET Service Class as described in the posts. And I could remove the error "DomainContextType is null..." but now I face a new Problem:

After I entered the login data into the SL application (a SL4 business App) and press login I get the error (after some time) that I got the error:

bei SiaAdministration.ErrorWindow.CreateNew(String message, StackTracePolicy policy)

bei SiaAdministration.ErrorWindow.CreateNew(String message)

bei SiaAdministration.MainPage.LoginFinished(LoginOperation logOp)

bei System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)

It does not matter if the login credentials are wring or ok. If I debug the system I allways get the info (from the LoginFinished Method), that the user could not logon.

I tested the system before the switch to the implementation as described here, and everything was fine. So I think I have one small bug in my system.

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:34 PM
  • The following worked for me.

Step 1:

Copy the webcontext generated from the RIA services link:

Imports System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Client.ApplicationServices
    Imports Cosmo.Web

''' <summary>
    ''' Context for the RIA application.
    ''' </summary>
    ''' <remarks>
    ''' This context extends the base to make application services and types available
    ''' for consumption from code and xaml.
    ''' </remarks>
    Partial Public NotInheritable Class WebContext
        Inherits WebContextBase

#Region "Extensibility Method Definitions"

''' <summary>
        ''' This method is invoked from the constructor once initialization is complete and
        ''' can be used for further object setup.
        ''' </summary>
        Partial Private Sub OnCreated()                
        End Sub

#End Region

''' <summary>
        ''' Initializes a new instance of the WebContext class.
        ''' </summary>
        Public Sub New()
            MyBase.New()
            Me.OnCreated()
        End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' Gets the context that is registered as a lifetime object with the current application.
        ''' </summary>
        ''' <exception cref="InvalidOperationException"> is thrown if there is no current application,
        ''' no contexts have been added, or more than one context has been added.
        ''' </exception>
        ''' <seealso cref="System.Windows.Application.ApplicationLifetimeObjects"/>
        Public Shared Shadows ReadOnly Property Current() As WebContext
            Get
                Return CType(WebContextBase.Current, WebContext)
            End Get
        End Property

''' <summary>
        ''' Gets a user representing the authenticated identity.
        ''' </summary>
        Public Shadows ReadOnly Property User() As User
            Get
                Return CType(MyBase.User, User)
            End Get
        End Property
    End Class

Step 2:

Assign WebContext.Authentication to a new instance of FormsAuthentication

Private Sub Application_Startup(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As StartupEventArgs)

' This will enable you to bind controls in XAML files to WebContext.Current
            ' properties
            Me.Resources.Add("WebContext", WebContext.Current)
            Me.Resources.Add("Cache", New Cache())

' This will automatically authenticate a user when using windows authentication
            ' or when the user chose "Keep me signed in" on a previous login attempt
            WebContext.Current.Authentication = New FormsAuthentication() With {.DomainContext = New Web.AuthenticationContext()}
            WebContext.Current.Authentication.LoadUser(AddressOf Me.Application_UserLoaded, Nothing)

' Show some UI to the user while LoadUser is in progress
            Me.InitializeRootVisual()
        End Sub

Saturday, June 04, 2011 7:57 AM