none
Any idea on when is it coming out?

Question

• It's great news that we can start developing on SL4 (finally natural hebrew support!!!).

Any ideas on end-user release date?

Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:00 PM

All replies

• Q2 2010 (according to PDC09)

Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Definitely first half of 2010.  My guess is March (MIX '10).
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 5:26 PM
  • My guess is March (MIX '10).

Good guess, I agree.

Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:14 PM
  • I'd be surprised if it did get released in March, My bet's on June, cause I believe the lead time is 6 to 9 months from Beta to release.

Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:04 AM
  • Silverlight 3 beta was announced in March (MIX '09), and released in July 10, for a total beta of less than 4 months.  I hope SL4 would keep up with the Mojo.  Of course, this was a blessing rather than something to be taken for granted, so I wouldn't be extremely disappointed if the final SL4 is released in April or May (but according to Scottgu it is slated for first half of 2010, and like SL3, there would be one beta, one release candidate, and then the release...  unless I am mistaken).

To keep up with the momentum (which is important to SL), releasing early and often is definitely a good move.  I imagine MIX '10 will be a big dose of SL for mobile, and SL4 release seems natural.  SL3 beta is significantly more advanced than SL2, but there is little difference between SL3 beta and SL3 release, and therefore the shorter release cycle is not too surprise.  Only thing I was surprised was how soon SL4 beta was released after SL3.

Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:34 AM
  • According to Scott Guthrie's keynote at the PDC this is the Silverlight 4 roadmap:

Silverlight 4 Beta (out now)

Silverlight 4 Release Candidate will be released

Silverlight 4 Final release

Keep in mind SILVERIGHT MOBILE/ WINDOWS 7 MOBILE is supposed to be out next year.  It's obviously going to target Silverlight 4.  My guess is that Silverlight 4 Release Candidate will announce mobile development tools for Visual Studio 2010, features, functionality...at MIXX 2010.  Silverlight 4 Final Release date will be June 2010 (around when Windows Mobile 7 is officially launched).

Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:52 AM
  • Thanks for all of these answers.

I hope they will keep the 4 month intervals between beta and release but I bet they work pretty damn hard to get to these goals.

BTW where is the 'mark as answer' button for silverlight 4 forum?

Sunday, November 22, 2009 3:34 AM
  • It'll be a REALLY NICE surprise if Silverlight Mobile had the SL4 feature set.

Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:25 AM
  • It'll be a REALLY NICE surprise if Silverlight Mobile had the SL4 feature set.

It would be a SHOCK, because a some of these new features don't fit the mobile platform.

However, a blend of SL3 & SL4 features would work.  I'll even take just SL3, but they NEED a mobile story ASAP.

I'd die for iPhone support, but I'm not holding my breath.

Monday, November 23, 2009 12:09 AM