none
Market penetration of Silverlight by fall 2007?

Question

• Over in Live search we are trying to decide whether to use Silverlight for certain multimedia/animated/interactive features for a fall '07 release, or other technologies like Flash. Now I can guess what recommendation you all will offer. Smile But one of our basic questions is, how much "market penetration" can Silverlight reasonably expect to have by this September-November? Will it be pushed to all Windows machines via Windows Update, or will there be some other kind of "publicity" effort? We're worried that people won't bother to click on a button that says "get Silverlight for [cool feature]!"

Does the answer change if we stick to Silverlight 1.0, versus 1.1?

I'll definitely be back over the next few days, to discuss this issue and as I get my hands into Silverlight development.

Best,

Jeremy Hoffman

t-jereho@microsoft.com

Monday, July 02, 2007 8:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeremy,

Market penetration is a tricky thing to predict, and is really going to be dependent upon how many applications use Silverlight that people want.  However, I think with Microsoft using it to advertise the XBox Elite and other big hitters using it, I believe that market penetration is going to grow very quickly.

Additionally, the installation process for Silverlight is very friction free and was designed to take less than 20 seconds to install.  In addition, by selecting Silverlight, you are really choosing a platform that is well architected and understands the needs of developers.  Personally, I have done some development in Flash, and I have found it to be buggy.  I am not alone: http://weblogs.asp.net/jezell/archive/2007/05/03/silverlight-vs-flash-the-developer-story.aspx.  Using Silverlight opens doors.

Personally, I am currently working on a book tentively title "Silverlight 1.1 in Action" (Shameless plug) and based on my research, I can tell you that Silverlight can natively reach approximately 97% of the users on the Internet.  In addition, this does not take into account the Linux base, which will soon have access to the Moonlight project, which will allow Linux users to run Silverlight content.

In regards to 1.0 vs. 1.1, I do not believe 1.1 will be ready by the tie frame you are mentioning.

If this answers your question, please select "mark as answer", otherwise, please post a followup question.

Thank you,

Chad Campbell

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeremy,

Market penetration is a tricky thing to predict, and is really going to be dependent upon how many applications use Silverlight that people want.  However, I think with Microsoft using it to advertise the XBox Elite and other big hitters using it, I believe that market penetration is going to grow very quickly.

Additionally, the installation process for Silverlight is very friction free and was designed to take less than 20 seconds to install.  In addition, by selecting Silverlight, you are really choosing a platform that is well architected and understands the needs of developers.  Personally, I have done some development in Flash, and I have found it to be buggy.  I am not alone: http://weblogs.asp.net/jezell/archive/2007/05/03/silverlight-vs-flash-the-developer-story.aspx.  Using Silverlight opens doors.

Personally, I am currently working on a book tentively title "Silverlight 1.1 in Action" (Shameless plug) and based on my research, I can tell you that Silverlight can natively reach approximately 97% of the users on the Internet.  In addition, this does not take into account the Linux base, which will soon have access to the Moonlight project, which will allow Linux users to run Silverlight content.

In regards to 1.0 vs. 1.1, I do not believe 1.1 will be ready by the tie frame you are mentioning.

If this answers your question, please select "mark as answer", otherwise, please post a followup question.

Thank you,

Chad Campbell

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 8:39 AM
  • Hi Chad,

When we expect final release of Silverlight for production use?

What Microsoft team enahance in Silverlight over current release silverlight 1.1 alpha?

Thanks and Regards
    nirajswami

Friday, July 06, 2007 8:00 AM